Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'I Dare Ya' - another RTE attempt at comedy starts tonight...

• 12-11-2007 2:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

The scene with the taxi made the rounds on emails, and on here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055150829&highlight=taxi

Will be interesting to see how it fairs up.

http://www.rte.ie/arts/2007/1112/idareya.html
    RTE wrote:
    The new Irish prank comedy series 'I Dare Ya' begins on RTÉ Two tonight.

Created by standup comics Andrew Stanley and Damian Clark, 'I Dare Ya' features the duo performing dares that have been sent by the public to their website.

They then show the pranks and stunts to a live audience at the Laughter Lounge.

AdvertisementAmong the challenges the duo face in the new series are: breaking all the commandments in one day, staging a 'Love Munster' parade in Belfast and writing 'TAXI' on a piece of cardboard and parking their Fiat Punto at the taxi rank on Stephen's Green.

'I Dare Ya' begins on RTÉ Two tonight at 9.30pm.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Pass..!

Wait.. isn't this 'Naked Camera' repackaged and in front of a live audience? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

whiskeyman wrote: »
    The scene with the taxi made the rounds on emails, and on here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055150829&highlight=taxi
    Ah I remember that. Some very interesting comments were attached with the emails too. There was no mention of the TV show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Never got the emails but saw the "taxi" at the rank on Stephen's Green. Immediately thought of 'Naked Camera' so looked around and saw a guy leaning "casually" on the Green's railings with wires feckin hanging out of him all over the place. They didn't try to make it unobvious. Hopped into the taxi behind the Punto and the driver was all "Why didn't ya get that one, eh? He he he...that's 'Candid Camera' so that is!" Then he pulled up next to the Punto and shouted something he thought was funny out the window. The Punto driver didn't look very happy.

So that's my story for today :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I am so glad that my TV is broken!! This sounds pretty rubbish. I hope it proves me wrong. If it's another Naked Camera I will wait until the new TV arrives and I will smash it.

EDIT:

I'm sorry TV, I would never break you!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

seems ok...naked camera in a new box...low enough on content.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Echelle

Bad , boring, predicable, cheap, derivitive, outdated rubbish

Cack.

Yes, in a change to my earlier opinion it is in fact ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Pffft.... They actually got me with the drink stealing bit a few months back when they were shooting it...

I reckon some monkeyfudge related goodness would have improved the show no end... but they didn't use my bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭standbyme

Pffft.... They actually got me with the drink stealing bit a few months back when they were shooting it...

I reckon some monkeyfudge related goodness would have improved the show no end... but they didn't use my bit.

Which one were you in the show, as soon as i saw that i knew one of them were gonna get a slap or something harder, but they cut that bit short when fellas at the end were gonna give chase :(

That & the clamp on the clampers :D were the only things worth a mention

• Advertisement

Let me help you out standbyme:
    standbyme wrote:
    Which one were you in the show
    .. but they didn't use my bit.

;)

PS - thought the show could have been worse. Possibly two of the most irritating comedians i've ever seen - a oh-so-wacky Aussie and the "Ginger Diarmuid Gavin lookalike" but gave me one or two giggles.

Yeah... I was on a date and they came up and tried to take the drinks...

Stopped them in an amicable fashion.. and struck up a conversation with the Australian guy about the Japanese cartoon character on his t-shirt.

Yeah... I was on a date..
    Your story lost all credibility there mate!

.. just kidding..

Yep.. well it wasn't a very good date... she invited some other guy along for some reason.. so he was sitting there too... He didn't stop the guy taking his drink though...

A girl from RTÉ came up afterwards and asked what we were drinking so she could replace them.... I was actually on water at the time... but straight away said Middleton to her... which costs about €18 a measure...

Oh.. and the australian guy didn't seem to have a clue who Astro Boy was.. The wardrobe department of RTÉ must have just stuck him in the t-shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JohnnyStones

Cack.

+1
    awful
    How many more weeks will this run for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Yep wasn't overly impressed about it.
    But the one thing that would have me watching it would be to see if there was anyone that I recognised!!!

Looks like i'm the only one who (minorly) liked it.. very minorly!

Maybe it's because i had my expectations set far too low.. "The English Class" low!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭ianrush

So basically for an hour on rte2 on mondays we have "naked camera" and "I dare ya", two candid camera shows badly shot on camcorders. And RTE want an increase in the licence fee....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Dr Lektroluv

Absolute rubbish. And I actually loved naked camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Echelle wrote: »
    Bad , boring, predicable, cheap, derivitive, outdated rubbish

Well I see it ticks all the RTE checkboxes then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I went to the recordings and twas very funny - perhaps it didn't transfer as well to tv.

Btw the guys wear their own clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭standbyme

basquille wrote: »
    Let me help you out standbyme:

;)

PS - thought the show could have been worse. Possibly two of the most irritating comedians i've ever seen - a oh-so-wacky Aussie and the "Ginger Diarmuid Gavin lookalike" but gave me one or two giggles.

Oh!, i should have narrowed it, which one were you drinking & had the amicable chat to!
    as i dont think i'll watch the repeat unless there's something less interesting on...
    +1
    awful
    How many more weeks will this run for?

Five more :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

At least naked camera had some originality.. an orange order man marching around dublin rofl! Better than this "Oh I fancy your girlfriend, wanna go out for a drink" crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

well, I started the thread, but I ended up missing it myself.
    Can say I expected much from it. As one poster said, I'd probably only watch it to see if someone I knew / places I knew were on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Christ, what next?

Might as well follow a bunch of knacks around seeing what they do daily. It's not funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭wonka

How about "I Dara ya" to make a half decent television programme... Was expecting more from it, but that Aussie started to get more annoying, with his pumped up energy. They should have pierced him 'down under'.
    Won't be wasting another 30 minutes watching it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

The show actually had potential to be good, but the godawful 'comedians' that are doing it completely destroyed it. Where do they find these guys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Why are other posters automatically comparing this ****e to The Naked Camera? In terms of humour and intelligience they are miles apart. I could not believe how bad 'I dare you' was.
    Wait, is that meant to mean that Naked Camera was funny and/or intelligent?

I mean, did people actually sit around thinking about 'concepts' for the show and the best they could come up with was 'Here's an ice cream for you lovely girlfriend, can ye' s go for a drink with me?' What about 'let's steal their drink?' Ho-ho ho.

In your angst against the show its seems you may have failed to pay attention to it - the dares are sent in by the public.... hence the name of the show...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Paddies and Aussies. Get the two most unfunny tv nationalities together and all I want to do is stick toothpicks under my nails.

star-pants wrote: »
    In your angst against the show its seems you may have failed to pay attention to it - the dares are sent in by the public.... hence the name of the show...

l'm a little unsure of how they had requests sent in to them about 4 months ago when they were filming this when no one had heard of the show back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭grimm2005

i remember seeing these guys in crawdaddy last year as part of the dit freshers week. was pretty funny at the time but nothing to shout home about. kinda surprised they got a tv show out of it, but then again, it is RTÉ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

l'm a little unsure of how they had requests sent in to them about 4 months ago when they were filming this when no one had heard of the show back then.
    IIRC the idea for the show started last year when they were performing at the Edinburgh Festival. People at the show would give them dares to do and they would do them there and then. Then they set up a website. And I remember them being on the Ray D'Arcy Show either at the beginning of the year or last asking people to submit their dares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

If this is a poor man's Naked Camera then you can't get much worse because Naked Camera was unfunny irritating cack. I thought the clamper thing was slightly amusing but I won't be watching that again.

RTE should save themselves a lot of grief by making a show about people trying to make a decent comedy/stand up/reality show. Two birds, one stone at least if that was cack they could say that's the nature of the material.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Was quite bad...and they didn't even do half the dares as they were supposed to

DARE: Take someones pint while they are paying for it
    ACTION: Walk up to random tables and drink pint, then seem a little bewildered themselves and walk away

DARE: Walk up to a couple and hit on the girl
    ACTION: (Mostly) Walk up to couple and ask both of them to go somewhere...

And the two comedians were quite bad too....Won't be wasting my time on this again.

🤪

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    IIRC the idea for the show started last year when they were performing at the Edinburgh Festival. People at the show would give them dares to do and they would do them there and then. Then they set up a website. And I remember them being on the Ray D'Arcy Show either at the beginning of the year or last asking people to submit their dares.

They also had a show at the Iveagh Gardens - and have been performing in the comedy clubs. Quite correct BaZmO - they did start in Edinburgh and have a website for the show where you could/can submit your dares, and have been on the social networking sites too. Also done promotions on RTE - on the cafe etc..

Sabre0001 wrote: »

DARE: Take someones pint while they are paying for it
    ACTION: Walk up to random tables and drink pint, then seem a little bewildered themselves and walk away

Yeah.... when they tried it on me I didn't realise they were supposed to be comedians. I thought they were just people off the street who were dared to do it.... They had absolutely no witty comebacks to me stopping them from taking my drink, even though I was trying to engage them in conversation so I could work out exactly what they were up to.

One of the things i really hated about is something which i've been seeing a lot more or recently and it's something that really bothers me.. editing in audience laughter poorly.

Example being when they make a joke that wasn't really that funny.. and the clever crew at RTE show someone in the audience dying laughing clearly from some other point in the show (or some other filming - that being more likely).

Haven't seen it myself. Saw Andrew Stanley a couple of time is the international, thought he was really good there. Shame he's made a rubbish RTE show.
    And Damien Clark...

You're Australian and loud,
    I geddit.
    You're just not funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Wait, is that meant to mean that Naked Camera was funny and/or intelligent?
    I think you've been watching to much American TV if you didn't find Naked Camera funny. I don't think I've ever laughed as much as I did watching the first series of that with a few people. It's actually one of the few shows where I could laugh out loud watching on my own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

There is obviously no limits to depths RTE would reach to fill their schedule, this was awful. Don't we have enough home grown one-dimensional,obnoxious individuals with importing from that cultural bastion that is australia

I have seen both guys perform stand up gigs,
    and they are infact - quite funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Dear 'I Dare Ya',

I dare ya to come up with a show that's worse than 'The English Class', less funny than Kilanascully and more annoying than Ryan Tubridy.

What do you mean you've 'already done that'?

Pff!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

very hit and mis,, would have liked to seen my reaction from some of the people I know you saw them in the audience but it would be good if they spoke to them...

did the clamper people bring a truck to rescue there van or was that something seperate, I would have liked to hear what the clampers said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

boreds wrote: »
    Paddies and Aussies. Get the two most unfunny tv nationalities together and all I want to do is stick toothpicks under my nails.

yes good point knowing RTEs track record, and then of course the likes of Jimeoin:rolleyes: is a legend down under...its a recipe for disaster

yes that aussie comic is an annoying prick.."look at me aren't i so loud & radical".....
    no you're annoying!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

No, it was tripe...but now you mention it, trite fits the bill pretty well too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I miss Trigger Happy TV...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

I liked it! Thought the clamping the clampers thing was funny... but then again I'm a sucker for an Aussie accent..found the Australian really cute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

+1 to anyone who dislikes it.
    It seems like nobody in this country can produce a decent comedy show e.g Paddywhackery and this sh ite.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement