Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'I Dare Ya' - another RTE attempt at comedy starts tonight...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭vallo

Painful to watch. I had to flick around after about 10 mins but felt myself drawn back to it before the end of the show just to double check whether it was really as awful as it had seemed. Then I got to see the moderately funny few minutes when they clamped the clampers.
    For me the very worst aspect of the whole show was the poor editing in the cuts to the audience. The hosts would crack a joke that wasn't funny at all and the camera would cut to someone breaking their s***e laughing and the background laughter sound wouldn't even match. I assume that the audience were plied with alcohol to get them giddy - maybe that is where the budget went.
    It was basically just really cheap and shoddy TV.

BTW, I thought the few episodes of Naked Camera that I saw were good. Patchy, but good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Everyone is entitled to their opinion - good or bad. I think chiarraigrrl just meant that she felt there was more of a judgement on the comedians as people, than on the show as a whole. And if it's someone/people you like to watch etc, it can be a little hard to hear them being somewhat slated.

(btw lol @ the thoughts of RTE paying out for alcohol... )

At the end of the day - it was the first show - not all first episodes are fantastic & it can be a learning curve / improve naturally. And comments like the above by vallo, explaining why they didn't like it (editing etc) can be constructive. Also the atmosphere *at* the live recording can be completely different to those who are watching an edited version on their own at home. I went to some of the recordings and had a great laugh (for the record, completely sober), but I will admit that on the screen it didn't come across the same way.

I've chatted to Damian a few times too as a group of my friends frequent the international and also the Happenny

I thought it was a very good show, I think they deserve the break anyway
    I was watching it with himself and he recognised Damian from a show i brought him to before and he thought it was hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭homerjk

Whatever chance I had of giving you the benefit of the doubt has now completely gone. That Pete Sampras joke was unbelievably unfunny.
    As was the entire show. It was like Naked Camera only even less funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Sorry.. but it's been 6 pages of arguments between charraigirl and everyone else.

So apologies to the other mods if they don't agree but i'm putting a stop to it here and now.

The thread has been trimmed of everything non-show related and should continue in a civil manner from now on.

Can't we all just get along?! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 chiarraigrrl

aw, but it was such fun!

dammit... ;)

(thanks!)

i liked the show. (though i do think it lost a tiny bit of its live energy in the translation to television, which is not necessarily but probably also down to choices made by the production company and/or RTE). :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Man.. it looks like a battlefield in here (as a mod..)
    Smoking craters where all those posts used to be!

Keep an open mind and give it a few weeks. Most shows take a while to bed down (e.g. I hated The Fast Show at the start, but the more I saw of it, the more I liked it).

Probably not comparing like with like, but... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

I have heard this give it a chance stuff about so many shows on RTE its cack in the first 5mins it will be cack in the last 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

basquille wrote: »
    Sorry.. but it's been 6 pages of arguments between charraigirl and everyone else.

So apologies to the other mods if they don't agree but i'm putting a stop to it here and now.

The thread has been trimmed of everything non-show related and should continue in a civil manner from now on.

Can't we all just get along?! ;)

ahh theres was perfectly good post there about whether or not it translated to tv??

• Advertisement

ahh theres was perfectly good post there about whether or not it translated to tv??

lol... but there was probably something inflammatory along with it, i'd guess, based on the to-ing and fro-ing of the last few days... ;)

Man.. it looks like a battlefield in here (as a mod..)
    Smoking craters where all those posts used to be!

I'd say it does! yikes...

just to clarify my post above: I love live comedy. I go to probably 3 or 4 gigs a week on average (some weeks less, some slightly more), and went to Montreal's Just for Laughs festival as well as the Edinburgh Fringe this year. I think often there's a certain energy about a live performance that its replication on television can't quite match- some of the shows I went to in Montreal were shown on RTE's Just for Laughs programmes a few weeks ago and many of them just weren't quite as much fun to watch on the telly as they were in Montreal. :D

That said, there are some great dares I've heard about that are coming up on the show that I'm really looking forward to seeing. And I thought some of the gags Monday night were quite good. huzzah! :D

looks like that taxi dare is on tonight, actually, if entertainment.ie are to be believed. Don't think the writer for the listings was that impressed with the show though- hmm...

(not to worry, he's been added to the list and the plane is being refuelled as we speak... ;) (KIDDING!))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Davedubh

Saw them on Tubridy where they the showed the beer stealing thing.It would be a proper dare if they went to a really rough bar and tried to take some tattoed thugs drink instead of female foregn students.

So tomorrow morning is it Ding Ding Round 2 - chiarraigrrl vs. The Rest Of The World?

Didn't see it last week, so I must look tonight and see what the fuss is about.

Mr E wrote: »
    So tomorrow morning is it Ding Ding Round 2 - chiarraigrrl vs. The Rest Of The World?

Didn't see it last week, so I must look tonight and see what the fuss is about.

well, then the row was worth it... ;) (and who knows, maybe by tomorrow morning The Rest of The World will have realised the error of their ways... ;) besides, there were a couple others who at least liked the show etc...)

and davedubh- one of the two rules that govern the dares is no harm comes to the guys, i believe... :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Naked Camera = poor mans Trigger Happy.

RTE havent had a decent comedy since Paths to Freedom and that didnt age all that well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

Wow, 2 guys getting waxed. Never seen that 2 million times before on jackass, dirty sanchez etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Wow, 2 guys getting waxed. Never seen that 2 million times before on jackass, dirty sanchez etc.

Yeah... just quickly flicked on and caught that.... flicked off quickly.

It's a pretty played bit alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Yeah the whole show just feels old and dated. Was all done before (and done far better) on shows like Jackass, Dirty Sanchez, Balls of Steel, etc. It's like a lite less edgy version of those shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭marie_85

I may be biased because I've seen both Andrew and Damien in stand up before and found them really good in real life, but I quite liked what I saw tonight. The stand up bits they showed weren't great to be honest but they're both much better live.

The waxing bit was a tad icky and meh but the imaginary friend bit was quite funny. The taxi bit as well, just for the reactions of the drivers. And Damien's response to one of them made me laugh out loud 'I spent ages making this sign!'

I personally couldn't stand Naked Camera. It was so artifical. This has a more realistic feel to it, which I do like. RTE should be commended anyway for trying out new shows like this, or else they'll just continue to trot out series after series of tripe like Killinaskully. It's a case of trial and error, but I'm glad they were willing to give the guys a chance. They've worked really hard on this show. And having spoken to them both before, they're both really decent guys in real life.

I think it's just that it had potential, but failed miserably to live up to it. Instead it's re-hashed jokes from trigger happy/balls of steel/jackass/dirty sanchez/beadles about/candid camera/etc etc. Those of us who have been watching that kinda tv for years can see it for what it really is. Might appeal to a younger generation, or people without satellite tv ;-D But in my opinion definitely has no lasting power.

• Advertisement

i think in fairness if you used the idea that "it's been done before", there'd be nothing on television, for starters- and the concept behind the show was that the public could make the guys do whatever they wanted to see them do (provided nobody got hurt or arrested), which was much of the fun of the live shows.

i'd have to agree the waxing thing was fairly ick, but i loved the imaginary friends thing (also get a kick out of Damian's story about the toilet gnomes) and the taxi bit was quite funny... :)

(and monkeyfudge- if you haven't seen more than 2 seconds of the show, how can you comment?? Just askin...)

well said, btw, marie_85. :D

(and monkeyfudge- if you haven't seen more than 2 seconds of the show, how can you comment?? Just askin...)

Because the bit I saw was guys getting waxed. It's been done before many, many times... and these guys simply aren't funny enough to put a new spin on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

The 'dares' are sent in by the public but the guys still have to pick which ones to do, unless they really got sfa and choice wasn't an option.

So part of the problem is that the public sending in these 'dares' are idiots who have no concept of what's funny and appeals to the wider masses and also with the two guys for choosing the poor dares.

Well I watched it last night, and while it wasn't as bad as everyone made out, it wasn't great either. Another average show from RTE.

I have to say though, some of the laughter sounded very canned (especially during the imaginary friends bit). It started and stopped too suddenly to be natural.

Am I bad for checking the end credits for a "Audience Shots and Laughter were added afterwards" disclaimer?

Well I watched it last night, and while it wasn't as bad as everyone made out, it wasn't great either. Another average show from RTE.

I have to say though, some of the laughter sounded very canned (especially during the imaginary friends bit). It started and stopped too suddenly to be natural.

Am I bad for checking the end credits for a "Audience Shots and Laughter were added afterwards" disclaimer?

lol... well in fairness though it's hardly the fault of the comedians if some of the editing was a bit choppy (and yeah, i definitely noticed that too). I will say some of the energy of the live performance gets lost in translation to television, whether in respect to this show or others - and unfortunately bits from a couple of the previews (which presumably would have been done at the live recording) seemed to be cut out that might have made it flow a bit smoother, i suppose because they do only have half an hour to fit everything in...

kaimera wrote: »
    The 'dares' are sent in by the public but the guys still have to pick which ones to do, unless they really got sfa and choice wasn't an option.

So part of the problem is that the public sending in these 'dares' are idiots who have no concept of what's funny and appeals to the wider masses and also with the two guys for choosing the poor dares.

so come up with what you feel are better dares for future shows, then. www.idareya.ie :p;)

edit- looks like that "send us your dare" thing isn't working any more (though it could be the firewall in here). damn. (i do think they should've had a text-in thing or something so the public audience could submit dares while the show was running, or something... might have brought along some more of the energy of the live shows, y'know?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I will say some of the energy of the live performance gets lost in translation to television
    Yeah I think I'd really enjoy it if I went to the live show.

Thats a good idea chiarraigrrl.... if they had set up some benches on stage and done the waxing there and then, it would have given it a whole new energy... One 'live' stunt and 2 recorded might improve things.

Taxi or Imaginary friends sketches mightn't have worked as well on stage, though. :)

Thats a good idea chiarraigrrl.... if they had set up some benches on stage and done the waxing there and then, it would have given it a whole new energy... One 'live' stunt and 2 recorded might improve things.

Taxi or Imaginary friends sketches mightn't have worked as well on stage, though. :)

lol... not quite what i was thinking, but that's a good 'un! ;)

and no, don't think they would've really worked out. (there are others coming up that i've heard about that would be pretty impossible, too, but i'm not sayin'...) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Watched it last night and thought it was alright. Not very original and the Australian guy is very annoying. Their manic live bits aren't that funny either.

These type of shows have been done a million times over and the only reason why RTE bothered to commission it I'd say is because it was so cheap to make. Am I correct in thinking that the show was filmed in front of a paying audience?
    Actually, don't RTE just buy these types of shows from production companies?

I think the problem with this show is an inherent one with RTE in that this is the type of show that should be on late on Friday as a filler and as a starting point for promising comedians, like the way Channel 4 and BBC do.
    It shouldn't be touted as prime time viewing on probably the busiest night of viewing on RTE.

Another big problem is that there is generally a talent drain of promising Irish comedians and writers across the water in search of better opportunities and course bigger audiences and bigger pay cheques. And as I result we are left with the dregs making derivative and unoriginal shows like "I Dare Ya"
    You only have to look at the Panel (great show but an Australian idea) when Dara O'Briain is not on it.

Anyway, "I Dare Ya" certainly isn't the worst thing RTE have come up with and if it was on I'd watch it but it most definitely bother me if i missed it.

• Advertisement

Bazmo, be glad i'm a tad distracted and happy this week for your own sake, otherwise i'd be at your throat over this comment:
    the Australian guy is very annoying

now, now... :p (Damo's a really nice bloke if you met him in person, as many people will agree)

as for the audience- I know for a fact there were tickets on sale on the ticketmaster website for the recordings, but the tickets said the wrong show time, so how useful they'd be to get in to the show is questionable at best (there's a good investment of twenty quid...). I also know that the two guys seemed to have relatively substantial guest lists, but many of the people in the audience are also members of the public who got caught up in the dares (the girl from budget travel was laughin her head off on camera last night, if you noticed, and i think some of the taxi drivers were in too). Edit - You could also email the production company for tickets (forgot to mention, sorry)...

i don't know if RTE just buy the shows from production companies, sorry...

(and i would say that a lot of talented comedians do have to find work in the UK, but there are A LOT of problems with the current state of the Irish comedy scene, so we won't even begin on that rant... another time, perhaps...)

Bazmo, be glad i'm a tad distracted and happy this week for your own sake, otherwise i'd be at your throat over this comment:

now, now... :p (Damo's a really nice bloke if you met him in person, as many people will agree)
    Why? Am I not entitled to my opinion?
    What has meeting him in person got to do with anything? I've watched the 2 shows and found him to be annoying...end of.

as for the audience- I know for a fact there were tickets on sale on the ticketmaster website for the recordings, but the tickets said the wrong show time, so how useful they'd be to get in to the show is questionable at best (there's a good investment of twenty quid...). I also know that the two guys seemed to have relatively substantial guest lists, but many of the people in the audience are also members of the public who got caught up in the dares (the girl from budget travel was laughin her head off on camera last night, if you noticed, and i think some of the taxi drivers were in too).
    The point I was making is that normally, well produced shows for TV don't charge for an audience to go view it.

(and i would say that a lot of talented comedians do have to find work in the UK, but there are A LOT of problems with the current state of the Irish comedy scene, so we won't even begin on that rant... another time, perhaps...)
    I would say "most" if not "all" do.

of course you're entitled to your opinion- just be aware that your opinion is based on 2 performances of one show for RTE, and not a reflection on Damian as a person, so I think it could have been put more tactfully, that's all. Statements like "he's annoying" indicate that you think he personally is annoying rather than the fact that his style of performance (because comedy is always to one degree or another a performance) is not to your taste. Fair enough.

of course you're entitled to your opinion- just be aware that your opinion is based on 2 performances of one show for RTE, and not a reflection on Damian as a person, so I think it could have been put more tactfully, that's all. Statements like "he's annoying" indicate that you think he personally is annoying rather than the fact that his style of performance (because comedy is always to one degree or another a performance) is not to your taste. Fair enough.
    Ah FFS! You seriously need to get over yourself.

??

i need to get over myself? i was just asking you to be aware of how your statements could be read/interpreted, is all- we've been through this whole argument before. i don't understand how that means i have to "get over myself".

Seriously STOP THIS NOW before it gets any further!

I'm getting so tempted to lock this thread!

??

i need to get over myself? i was just asking you to be aware of how your statements could be read/interpreted, is all-
    Do you really think that people can't interpret my comments for themselves?
    I don't think anybody in their right mind would think that I meant he was annoying as a person, how the fvck would I know what he's like? I just think he's very annoying on the show.

we've been through this whole argument before.
    If by "we" you mean "you & everybody else" well then yes "we" have and you'd think that you'd have learned by now.

i don't understand how that means i have to "get over myself".
    Because you keep on dragging this thread into a "how dare you say that about my friends!!" rant at every given opportunity.

Sorry. I'd posted before I saw yours.

I'm inclined to agree with BaZmO* here with the fact that chiarraigrrl is taking this far too personally so i'm gonna ask for just one thing or this thread will be locked as soon as possible:

All discussion from now on shall be related to the show and it's content, and any more personal insults against either one of the comedians or members of the forum will not be tolerated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

basquille wrote: »
    Seriously STOP THIS NOW before it gets any further!

I'm getting so tempted to lock this thread!
    Me too.

/me gets ban hammer ready.

Seriously stop this now. Respect peoples opinions.

All discussion from now on shall be related to the show and it's content, and any more personal insults against either one of the comedians or members of the forum will not be tolerated.

that works for me. thanks... :D

MOD EDIT: BrandonBlock.. read 3 posts up. The bit in bold - another outburst like this and you're banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

I hate the editing on the show, flicking between a wide and two close shots of the guys as they speak head wrecking, it feels like you not seeing half the show, that they've cut it down to half an hour from much longer,I know a lot of shows do that but you really get that sense that your missing half the show watching it on tv. damien said on the show and on tubridy that at first they said there car was damaged and the taxi drivers were real nice but we hardly saw any of that.

I saw the seen in dublin taxi photos on here but not the racist version?

saying damien is annoying on tv is not a personal insult

right checked out the website and dared then to edit it better without choppyness.

Oh I did. Even alluded to it on my first post on the first page.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Oh I did. Even alluded to it on my first post on the first page.

Yep I rememeber that.. Because I saw the photos first when they were posted up on boards... but then I saw the email that was been sent around that contained anti-romanian sentiment that wasn't there originally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭davejones

Seen it for the first time Monday.
    Only one word to describe it AWFUL:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

It's the same two photos - the day of the dare someone obviously got pics & they made the rounds as 'seen today in dublin' , two days later it was going around under the heading of 'romanian taxi driver' something or other. Assumidly from some random person changing the title *shrug*

It really is a useless piece of crap tv show. I actually would rather watch re-runs of Golden Girls on Living. :eek:

I hate the editing on the show, flicking between a wide and two close shots of the guys as they speak head wrecking, it feels like you not seeing half the show, that they've cut it down to half an hour from much longer,I know a lot of shows do that but you really get that sense that your missing half the show watching it on tv. damien said on the show and on tubridy that at first they said there car was damaged and the taxi drivers were real nice but we hardly saw any of that.

so essentially what you're saying is that you'd like the show to be longer...? ;)

course, then there'd be time for the audience to text in dares, possibly vote on which one should be done, and organise to do the nominated dare in the second half of the show. which i think would bring more of the energy of the live show along... :D

just a thought... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭TheThreeDegrees

tasteless classless rubbish.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement