Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Auld Spuds!

• 12-11-2007 2:30pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Or for those of you who call them potatoes! What do you do with yours?? I always do the same old things! Looking for a few ideas...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Potato gratin is a favourite - add nutmeg and grate cheese on top.

Baby potatoes roasted with fresh rosemary and sea salt.

Oh! And I was flicking through a Jamie Oliver cook book the other night and he cored out the centre of the potatoes and then stuffed it with bacon, sage leaves, anchovies and garlic - I think. Then the spud was plugged back up and roasted. Looked really nice - it was from 'Cook with Jamie'.
    http://kathryncookswithjamie.blogspot.com/2006/12/baked-potatoes-stuffed-with-bacon.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

OP, what is it that you do with them?
    I mostly fry chopped up cooked spuds in sunflower oil and put some garlic and black pepper seasoning on them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Boil them or mash them! Never anything to give them a bit of flavour :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

olaola, that bacon potato seems yummy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Mashed potato can be really special - mashed finely, add milk or cream, some butter, salt and pepper...delicious. Good with almost anything...sausages and onion gravy, lamp chops...I'm actually salivating.

Or make yourself some amazingly tasty potato cakes. Boil and mash your spuds as usual and add a splash of milk and some salt and pepper. When cool, form into little patties with your hands. Fry in hot butter until golden. Top with sour cream, bacon bits and fresh chives. Drool.

I sure do miss my creamy mash now I'm eating to lose weight. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Oh and I just thought of another thing - home made chips (just like Mammy used to make)! Peel and slice your potatoes into chips as you like 'em, rinse them under the tap and pat dry. Then deep fry them in hot oil and sprinkle with salt and brown malt vinegar and become the happiest person alive.

biko wrote: »
    olaola, that bacon potato seems yummy

I haven't tried it (yet!) but will defo give it a lash soon. They have some nice anchovies in Fallon & Byrne btw. Ones you can get by weight - so you can try them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Baked with cheese.
    Wash and dry the skin, prick with a fork and bake for an hour at 180c.
    (No oil, no salt - prefect crispy skins every time)
    Cut a cross in the top, push the sides in using a tea towel to save scorched fingers.
    Put a knob of butter and a pile of grated cheddar on top.
    Bake for another 20 minutes.
    Dauphinoise.
    Peel 1 lb of spuds and slice thinly.
    Put the potatoes in a non-stick frying pan with a couple of cloves of garlic and a pinch of nutmeg.
    Cover with milk and simmer.
    As the potatoes cook, the starch and the reduction of the milk make a great creamy sauce - without the cream.
    Once the spuds are cooked through (test with a knife), grate gruyere cheese on top and grill or bake until the top is golden and crusty.
    Janssons Temptation
    1 lb potato peeled & thinly sliced
    2 onions, thinly sliced
    12 Anchovies, sliced along their length.
    Butter an oven proof dish.
    Layer potato, onion and anchovy.
    Season with pepper (no salt) and cover with full fat milk.
    Bake for 45 to 60 minutes at 190c.
    Potatoes Parmentier
    This is a simple dish of pan fried small cubes of potato.
    Parmentier was a Frenchman who promoted the use of potatoes as a food source. The peasantry were reluctant to embrace the spud, so Parmentier plant several acres and had them guarded during the day. At night the guard was relaxed. Curiousity did the rest and the pilfered plants were soon commonplace in many a French garden. Now any dish that has Parmentier in the name will contain potatoes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

boil spuds, mash spudsd w/ butter, garlic onions and cheese.

best comfor food ever.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Tree wrote: »
    boil spuds, mash spudsd w/ butter, garlic onions and cheese.

best comfor food ever.

I agree. I add a dash of milk and salt too though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

not so much a salt adder, but loads of black pepper, and cream>milk when you got it :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

A twist on baked potatoes.

Bake potatoes as you normally would, either in oven or microwave.

Cut open and scoop out the fluffy goodness carefully perserving the skins. Put in a bowl with some butter, cheese and ham (ham is optional for vegetarians) and season with salt and pepper. Mix well

Put back in the (hot) oven for 15-20 mins or until golden.

Eat the deliciousness!

I bought a Mouli Legume recently. I had always used a hand held potato masher before. Using the Mouli produces a very light mash. Once all the spuds have passed through, I fold in some butter, seasoning and maybe a dash of milk. Brilliant results.

The Mouli Legume has three screens that can be fitted to produce course or fine texture as required. Excellent for soups.

Ohh - where did you get it? I was thinking of getting a ricer myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

olaola wrote: »
    I bought a Ricer a while back in Homestore + More (think that's the name) in Tallaght. Good quality but quite expensive. I recently saw them in Marks & Spencers way cheaper.

As for Spud recipes. One of my favourites is mini roasters.

Heat some Olive Oil in a roasting tray.
    Get a couple of large potatoes, cut them into 1" size cubes.
    Get 5 cloves of garlic and break them open with the back of a knife.
    Slice 1 red chilli. (you can use chilli flakes instead)

Throw everything into the roasting tray with salt and black pepper. Cook them for about 20-25mins turning occasionally. Absolutely delicious and goes with everything.

You can replace the chilli with a couple of sprigs of bashed Rosemary as an alternative.

olaola wrote: »

Nisbets.co.uk. But I live in Kent and they are not deliverying to Ireland yet. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Hmmm...

With spuds, I would do any of teh following...

Straight-forward boiled
    Mash
    Roasties
    Baked
    Chips
    gratin / dauphinoise
    Rösti (pronounced Ruhshtee)
    potato bread

If I let the misus at them, I could also end up with potato gnocchi or potato knödel

There's a handful of potato-based recipes on that link to the rösti, incidentally, which are also pretty good. The baby/new potatoes with chilli orange butter is fiiiiiine.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭corasam

Anyone know where i could pick up a mouli in Galway?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

corasam wrote: »
    Anyone know where i could pick up a mouli in Galway?

You can get them here for €20 if that's any good to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭CuteStuff

Could anyone help me?

I am looking for peoples advice on what sort of spud is best for making mash and the best sort of spud for baking. :confused:

Your help is much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

I just rang Kitchendresser adn they will have the mouli back in mid Feb. Im ordering one cos the mashers you get mow are all plastic and useless. I found two steel ones in a charity shop a few months a go and Im never letting them go.

Fav spud recipie.

Boil spuds in their jacker till about 3/4 cooked. Lace the water with plenty of salt. Cool. Peel. Slice.

Dice some onion and get some lardons frying off in a pan. Sunflower oil or some other hight temp oil.

In with the spuds, plenty of paprika, black pepper.

Fry them up and finish with butter and parsley.

Chorizo can be used as well depending how gluttonous youre feeling when you make them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Deepsense wrote: »
    Im ordering one cos the mashers you get mow are all plastic and useless.
    Not true at all. I have this one ...

http://www.kitchendresser.net/oxo-smooth-potato-masher-794-p.asp

As solid as a rock, and comfortable on the hands too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Not true at all. I have this one ...

http://www.kitchendresser.net/oxo-sm...sher-794-p.asp

As solid as a rock, and comfortable on the hands too.

Not me me for whatever reason. I tried that one and either found that it was too small and I burny my knuckles on thhe top of the spuds and if I didnt manage to scald myself, I found it just as uncomfortable to use.

I think its a me thing though. Im used to the rod handle masher. Just what I grew up with I suppose. Im glad that it works for you though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Mashed Potatoes - with butter, milk and salt and pepper

Garlic Potatos - garlic/cheese sause with grated cheese on top

Baked Potatoe with bacon and cheese

good old jacket potatoes - with loadsa butter

Fried potatoes - chop up potatoes into small square cubes, roll them in oil in a baking tray and season with salt and pepper and garlic

so many things you can do with spuds............i'm starving now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

baby new potatoes in an oven dish with a bit of olive oil, rock salt and rosemary. shake em about regularly until they're all crinkly and slightly brown, then eat them with a small bit of butter. delicious.

or we also do quite often now is fat free chips. basically chips cooked with one tablespoon of oil. they come out great!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

CuteStuff wrote: »
    Could anyone help me?

I am looking for peoples advice on what sort of spud is best for making mash and the best sort of spud for baking. :confused:

Your help is much appreciated.

I use Roosters for everything, they're the king of potatoes. But Maris Pipers and King Edwards are also good for mash. Stay away from "white potatoes" like they carry the plague. I can't understand why people buy them. What the hell is a white potato? It's like saying "I bought some pink flowers". What kind of flowers were they? Grr, it's one of my biggest pet peeves! Not to mention, "white potatoes" are mass produced, watery, poor quality potatoes that don't ever cook well.

So yeah, Roosters.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭CuteStuff

Faith wrote: »
    I use Roosters for everything, they're the king of potatoes. But Maris Pipers and King Edwards are also good for mash. Stay away from "white potatoes" like they carry the plague. I can't understand why people buy them. What the hell is a white potato? It's like saying "I bought some pink flowers". What kind of flowers were they? Grr, it's one of my biggest pet peeves! Not to mention, "white potatoes" are mass produced, watery, poor quality potatoes that don't ever cook well.

So yeah, Roosters.
    Thank you!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

heya, yep roosters are the universal potato and are very good for mash and everything else, however i have to say i think golden wonders are the nicest mashed. yummmmm. way better flavour than roosters and so floury and fluffy but a bit more high maintenance to cook than roosters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Boil new potatoes until fully cooked.
    Put in a roasting tray.
    With a large spoon, squash each potato - it will split and flatten.
    Drizzle each one with olive oil, season well with salt and pepper and push a little slice of garlic and a bit of rosemary into them.
    Roast in a hot oven for about 45 - 60 mins.
    Crunchy and yummy!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Deepsense wrote: »
    Not me me for whatever reason. I tried that one and either found that it was too small and I burny my knuckles on thhe top of the spuds and if I didnt manage to scald myself, I found it just as uncomfortable to use.

I think its a me thing though. Im used to the rod handle masher. Just what I grew up with I suppose. Im glad that it works for you though :)

I also find that if you have a large pot, the knuckles end up in the hot spuds.
    Fine for smaller pots, though.

I have a ricer, which is a bit of work but makes fantastic mash!!

Advertisement