Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Auld Spuds!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Faith wrote: »
    So yeah, Roosters.

I find roosters a good all rounder, but not for potato salad unless you like it yellowish.
    I like potato salad white so I use kerrs pink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Here's a really unusual way to cook potatoes :pac:

OK, it may sound mental but trust me this is the nicest thing in the world to eat.

Nice big fire going in the evening (has to be turf) when the fire turns to that lovely "glow red" stage, throw in a few spuds and put some red hot coals. Try to make sure the spuds are covered with the coals.

Most important: not peel the spuds, lol, you dont need to wash the spuds or a bit .. lazy lazy, i know.

So, depending on size of spud, (try to pick medium if you can) roughly half an hour should cook them. Take them out with tongs, leave on hearth for a few mins to cool or you will burn the fingers off yourself :D

Your spuds now look like little lumps of coal, get a knife, salt and butter and top the spud like you would an egg. NYOM is all i can say

Yes, it leaves a mess..but trust me..it's the most amazing bite. Roosters all the way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Has anyone mentioned curried ham croquettes yet?

The usual mash - no milk in it though.

A bit of oil in a pot and cook your curry spices/powder (Im powder cos Im lazy - and dont really know which ons to use) - korma-ish flavour - then add the milk and add to spuds. cream. Add ham/bacon and a bit of parsley.

Leave to cool then roll into barrell shapes or whatever - I do flats like a potato cake (lazy) and crumb and fry.

I put rashers and a fried egg on top. And a bit of gravy.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Add a hard boiled egg or 2 to your mash depending on your portion sizes.. mashed in with the usual milk, butter, salt & pepper its very tasty.. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

an egg yolk in mash is really good.
    Blend it with your milk (or cream if you want to go really rich) so it doesn't scramble. Butter too of course - and salt and pepper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

nutmeg should always be added to mash potatoes imo

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

Minder wrote: »
    Nisbets.co.uk. But I live in Kent and they are not deliverying to Ireland yet. :(

They are! www.nisbets.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

i like to add butter fried leeks to my mash! yummy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

lemeister wrote: »
    They are! www.nisbets.ie

They are now, sure. But in November 2007 when I posted that, Nisbets weren't doing business in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I had mancake for dinner yesterday: http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/611188. Very tasty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

CuteStuff wrote: »
    Could anyone help me?

I am looking for peoples advice on what sort of spud is best for making mash and the best sort of spud for baking. :confused:

Your help is much appreciated.

Personally I'm a fan of the Kerrs Pink.

I know a lot of people in Wexford are very fond of the Golden Wonder, which makes great mash but I find they are too floury and have to be watched while or they collapse into nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

My son makes a delicious mash, he adds pesto and mozzarella. Yum

Another version of mash- add melted butter and warm cream, then add chopped basil with grated nutmeg.

Another favourite in my house is to bake some potatoes. Fry some diced onion with bacon pieces. Cut the baked spuds in half and scoop the contents into a bowl. Mash with some butter then add the fried onion/bacon. Put a large spoonful of the mixture back into the potoato skins and bake again for 10-15 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭cooperla

I cut them up like chips (closer to the size of french fries really) and do the same with carrots and parsnips. Then put them in a bag and add olive oil, salt, pepper, onion salt, garlic powder, and paprika. Shake well to season and then through them in the over for 40 minutes or so on 200.

dam tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Some ideas here for ringing the changes on mashed spuds.

I'll have to try this one
    Caramelised onion mash: Fry onions until they are soft, add a teaspoon of sugar, stir and cook until the onions are soft and brown. Season. Add to mashed potatoes.

Advertisement