Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why there is wear and tear on the clutch

Options
  • 12-11-2007 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

It's a fact that the only time the clutch plate is being worn down is when it is grinding against the flywheel (i.e. the time between when the clutch is fully depressed and when you take your foot off the pedal). However there can also be differing degrees of erosion even if this time is the same for two cars. If the speed of your transmission clutch plate is very different to the speed of the engine flywheel, then more wearing will happen than if you carefully select the right speed before re-engaging the clutch.
    So the driver who would wear the clutch the most would be somebody who:
    1. changes gears a lot (e.g. urban traffic)
    2. tends to very slowly release the clutch rather than doing it more promptly
    3. changes gears without properly adjusting their speed

However I can't get my head around exactly how you should adjust your speed when moving up the gears and when moving down. Can somebody enlighten me on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭j1979p

duplicate, please delete

Advertisement