Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 USB BB Minor Issues

Options
  • 12-11-2007 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭

Folks,
    We just moved into our house 3 months ago,we're waiting for a landline but will not have cable BB here for a number of years yet so I have looked at other options for connection to the net. Contacted Brisknet who didn't me a defo yes or no, I wouldn't go with them cause they just didn't inspire much confidence.

Been looking at the 3G USB option and decided to purchase the O2 USB BB modem on Friday (Have 7 days trial). According to O2 Maps and O2 shops I wouldn't get coverage. I got it through one of those Moviefone stores. I brought it home and after a few hiccups I eventually got it going, unfortunately I'm not getting BB speeds. The signal I'm picking up is EDGE which is alot faster than ordinary dial-up but nowhere near BB speeds.

I am actually given serious consideration to keeping this @ €15 a month for first 3 months and €30 thereaftercasue lets face it my options are limted and its either this or wait for Eircom to connect the landline and have dial-up speeds.

Am I mad ?

As well as the price there's one other thing bothering me when I plug in the USB device it sometimes seems to have a negative effect on my PC (Freezing programs) even when i connect to the net I cannot open a browser, have to open a browser first and then connect.

Has anyone else experienced such issues ? I'm thinking it could be the actual device/modem that i was given and that perhaps trying another one might improve the performance.

Thanks for any reading and please do reply if you have any relevent comments.

After 9/10 months without regular internet access I'm pretty content.

Tinofapples

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The signal I'm picking up is EDGE which is alot faster than ordinary dial-up but nowhere near BB speeds.

I am actually given serious consideration to keeping this @ €15 a month for first 3 months and €30 thereaftercasue lets face it my options are limted and its either this or wait for Eircom to connect the landline and have dial-up speeds.

EDGE is the 2G extension that O2 are rolling out on a lot (or all) of their masts to give better speeds. It's the major advantage they have over all the others, in my opinion anyway. You may well get an upgrade to 3G over the course of the year, and if you check O2's website you can sign up for network upgrade info.

At €15 a month, for faster than dial-up but not quite broadband (it's probably similar to what you'd get on Ripwave or Clearwire) I don't think it's too bad. At €30 a month it's a little less easy to recommend if you only ever get EDGE. It is handy to bring with you if you have a laptop and spend time at other locations (work) where there is full 3G/HSDPA.

Up to you do decide whether it's worth it. How much would you spend on dial up in a month? If it's close to €20 then the extra €10 a month for this makes sense.

I don't think you're mad to consider it. Desperate Ireland calls for desperate measures, again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Thanks for the reply jor el.

Yeah i sopke with a girl in O2 she couldn't guarantee when the mast close to me would be upgraded to BB and did mention that their priority at the moment is to get every mast upgraded to EDGE.

I agree with what you say about what i'll end up paying on dial-up and it's speed will probably break my heart.

Decision almost made.

Do you know about any of the wee difficulties I'm experiencing ? Sometimes connecting the modem freezes everything and when you unattach it everything runs fine again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Can you try it on another computer? Could be a dodgy modem. Not having any troubles like that with mine. Also, try a different USB port to make sure it's not that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

if you have no landline, it is actually cheaper than dialup.

Advertisement