Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skim over painted ceiling?

Options
  • 12-11-2007 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

Folks,

I have two ceilings in my house where the paint has detached from the ceiling creating something similar to a bubble affect. I've been told that it's a build up of weight from being painted over the years. The house is 60 years old.

I scraped as much of it off as I could in one room and painted over it. The problem is that the ceiling is slightly uneven now and it really stands out. The missus doesn't notice it but it bugs me.

Is it possible to skim over a painted ceiling? I spoke to a builder and he suggested replacing the ceiling plasterboard and skiming over it. It's going to cost close to 2000 Euro. Is this necessary?

Cheers,

Dopey

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭jdpl28

Get something called "thistlebond", and paint over the ceiling with that. it bonds to the ceiling and has sand mixed in through it so plaster can stick to it really easily. A plasterer can then skim over it all. But talk to the plasterer just in case the ceiling is damaged or cracked. If it looks sound, then it probably won't need replaced.

Advertisement