Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Dog In Area - What to do ? Sorry Long Post

• 12-11-2007 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi

I'm stuck with a decision about a loose dog. We rent a house in a new housing estate and have been here since mid August.. We have 2 dogs. Our neighbours while nice, are very superior (lots of YummyMummy / PowerHousewives etc) and are quite clique-y..

Since we moved in we have noticed a large crossbreed that is loose (stray?) that "lives" here.. He is large male Lab x of some kind - Maybe Collie or GSD.. He has no collar and although lean is not particularly thin (mostly as builders etc and some people who live on the estate feed him scraps).

Initially I didn't see him as a problem - I assumed he belonged to someone a bit irresponsible but thought he was friendly as he interacts well with people (plays with unsupervised children of approx 6+ on the green) and seemed unconfrontational.. wrong..

This dog has now become very territorial.. attacking other dogs being walked in the area and I have rescued a small escapee Llasa Apso from him .. it was wounded badly. The Dog threatened (growling) me as I approached to rescue the smaller dog but I was able to get the little dog away by frightening him off with big body language (stupid but I was desperate!).. I have no doubt he would have killed the smaller dog.. it had many stitches and was very shocked afterwards..

Several of my neighbours have stopped walking their dogs as they are wary of him attacking (he is worse when he is joined by another Lab X that wears a collar but has clearly escaped - pack mentality prevails.. I have tried to approach the collared dog for ID but it is quite aggressive and threatens to bite but shows frightened body language so hard to approach)

We don't walk our dogs on the estate - preferring to take them to Coillte sites etc so have never had the attack problem until now.

I suggested calling the Dog Warden or a charity to have the dog collected at a bit of a confab one evening one the green outside our house (after another small dog on a lead had been attacked) but neighbours (apart from the attacked dogs mum - who said nothing :rolleyes:) said that it would be "cruel" as he is "enjoying life as free dog" , "the kids would miss him" "He'd always been here" and he would simply be destroyed which they couldn't condone.. I suggested they re-home him themselves which they were very quick to reason why they couldn't (I also can't - already have 2 young dogs).. so there is a stalemate..

Recently as I can't drive due to medication for a spinal problem my OH has been resorting to walking our 2 bitches (5 months & 6 months) on the estate- he has had one meeting with the stray - which resulted in our dogs being harrassed by the dog (attemps to mount them etc etc)- my OH was able to drive him off but he was a nuisance all the way home..

I am now thinking about ignoring the neighbours and calling the ISPCA etc about collection of this stray - As I am the only one prepared to do this when he disappears it will obviously be me that made the call.. and the petty YummyMummy contingent I'm guessing will be unimpressed.. leading to awkwardness.. but my girls safety comes 1st .. I am quite ashamed that I'm bowing to peer pressure at my age too.. :o ..

What would you do ? Am I doing the right thing ?

PS - Just to clarify - the people who don't want the dog collected and rehomed etc have either (1) not got dogs of their own (2) have small dogs they don't walk at all as "they don't need walking " - 2 mini yorkies, 3 chihuahuas and a chinese crested (3) one lady who says she is against any animals "being forced to live within the selfish constraints of human beings".. :rolleyes:

The others that have had dogs attacked seem to intimidated to say anything - I suspect incase they are the victims of a later unidentified drive-by RangeRover-ing..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Sounds very much like an episode of Desperate Housewives. Call the ISPCA..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭TheB

Killme00 wrote: »
    Sounds very much like an episode of Desperate Housewives. Call the ISPCA..

You have no idea :D ... they have all watched too many episodes of it and now think they ARE in Wisteria Close (drive ? - I've never watched it - have recently checked it out though as so many friends have mentioned how alike their attitude is..:rolleyes:)

Luckily we will hopefully be moving in Jan when out house purchase goes through.. can't wait..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yes ISPCA or dog warden. Its not right or fair on the dog to leave him wandering. Its no life for him.
    As much as I'm sure you wouldnt like to see him killed, death would be kinder than leaving him where he is. It also sounds like it wont be long before he damages something.

(btw dogs are very psychologically sensitive to being attacked... I wouldnt tolerate a situation where a stray dog could hassle my two while I'm out walking, particularly as one is prone to nervousness)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Yepp ...Wysteria Lane all the way

... until one of yummy-mummies kids get scared/bitten by the dog ...they'll be baying for blood then.

Try phoning one of the local rescues first, before calling the ISPCA / dog warden.

They might be able to give the dog a chance at rehoming instead of killing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

F-them call the ispca, the dog is getting territorial. This is a very bad sign. All the neighbours will be baying for the dogs blood if it bites a child. Get him moved on before hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Sod them, the dog is a danger to other dogs, children and possibly people. He has been left run feral for too long and he can't be blamed for regressing to a wilder state. His owners should be repremanded, if you knew who they were.

Contact your local council or the ISPCA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

Call the dog warden before someone gets hurt. Its incredibly annoying having my dogs harassed by others when Im doing the responsible thing by having them on the lead, your own dog's safety should come first, mine would!!! Aside from the fact that the stray may be hit by a car, this is to keep him safe too. That is complete crap about the dog living life as a free spirit or whatever, it a nuisance, and a dangerous one at that, sorry if i sound harsh, but if my dog was injured by it, i would be incandescent!! Obviously no-one cares about the dog, get the dog warden, you never know, he might be re-homable, and live (neutered) as a loved family pet in the future, and not roaming the streets fending for himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

Why not call your local animal welfare group and see if they can help with him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

P.S. Call a charity ISPCA etc. The council warden will only give the poor animal 5 days before destroying him and thats not fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭TheB

The council warden will only give the poor animal 5 days before destroying him and thats not fair.

:eek:

Didn't know that..

Thanks guys for your views.. will be finding a local charity number and calling them asap.. If you read in the news about a 31 yo woman being suffocated to death by an unexplained cloud of Chanel perfume you'll know what happened.. :)

Just watched the same dog chasing a car outside my house.. I hate that.. terrified I'm going to find the poor thing squished..

Bx

• Advertisement
Advertisement