Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boxing Day or St. Stephen's Day?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Interchangable
    philstar wrote: »
    excuse my ignorance....but who was st stephen anyway??...was he irish??

Nope, there are only a handful of Irish saints I think.

He was Jewish originally I believe...from somewhere in the middle-east.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭KIVES

I wouldn't get into a brawl over it but it has taking me years to try and stop referring to it as 'Boxing Day' and make a big attempt to imprint 'St STEPHENS DAY' on my brain, so I'm happy with the status quo - I think the closer to the border you live, the more difficulty you have with deciding which one to go with - Can even have Republican/Nationalist connotations depending on which description you choose...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 DICK FINGERS

St Stephens day or Boxing day?

I would always call it St Stephens day
    But to be honest its just a regular day for me
    the cattle and sheep still have to be fed as usual:(

St Stephens day or Boxing day?

I would always call it St Stephens day
    But to be honest its just a regular day for me
    the cattle and sheep still have to be fed as usual:(

What do you do on the 15th August then...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 DICK FINGERS

KIVES wrote: »
    What do you do on the 15th August then...?

That's strange you mentioned the 15th of August

that is actually my birthday but i don't usually go out for it
    ill be 44 next august

It's not much to celebrate another year older and still single:(

I meant Farmers Day - as every other day of the year you seem to be bedridden,attending funerals of loved ones or bemoaning the fact that you're single, have a lot of cattle and your love life's going down the pan...I mean, i'd say they love to see you down in your local...a real cheery-upper...Boxing Day for me methinks at a push

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Interchangable
    defo staphens day, but i clicked the wrong one in the poll by accident!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Boxing Day my good man!
    Defo St. Stephen's day for me

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Boxing Day my good man!
    Stephen's day GMV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Why do people pronounce it as "St Stephens's Day"? They guy was called Stephen, not Stephens.
    It's the day of Stephen - if you're talking about the car of some guy called Stephen or the house of Stephen, you wouldn't say "Stephens's car" or "Stephens's house".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Boxing Day my good man!
    St. Stephen's Day. Its what my parents called it and it seems to have stuck in my head.

Not bothered about others referring to it as Boxing Day, might be a tad concerned when we start calling the 4th July - "Independence Day" though:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Boxing Day my good man!
    I kinda think we're missing the point here, you can call it Fred if you want but the fact remains the official holiday in this country is called St. Stephen's Day. What they call it in another country if they so happen to have a holiday on that day is irrelevant. We're all very familiar with the term Boxing Day as it's always mentioned on the British TV channels which most of us have but different holiday (apart from the drinking and eating :)), different country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Interchangable
    It's Boxing day in Donegal and that's the way it is but then we had BBC tv before RTE.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Boxing Day my good man!
    St.Stephens Day. 'Boxing Day' is really only an English term is it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Boxing Day my good man!
    vektarman wrote: »
    Not quite correct for Hilly Billy I'm afraid, he left the full stop out after St.
    An.idiosyncracy.I'm.afraid. I.don't.do.full.stops.in.the.middle.of.sentences. But.just.for.you.I'll.make.an.exception.
    I'm.a.Rebel.with.a.Pause

Back on topic...

St Stephen was the first "Martyr". More here: http://www.byzantines.net/StStephen/StStephen.htm

• Advertisement

Meh! Atari Jaguar.
    St.Stephens Day. 'Boxing Day' is really only an English term is it not?

Not really!
    Just for the (wiki) record, who calls it what elsewhere in the world.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Interchangable
    meglome wrote: »
    I kinda think we're missing the point here, you can call it Fred if you want but the fact remains the official holiday in this country is called St. Stephen's Day. What they call it in another country if they so happen to have a holiday on that day is irrelevant. We're all very familiar with the term Boxing Day as it's always mentioned on the British TV channels which most of us have but different holiday (apart from the drinking and eating :)), different country.

meglome, logic doesn't belong in AH...Please take your common sense elsewhere please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Caco

You're all wrong... it's "the day the pubs reopen"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

I call it st. stephens day.

Till I go visit relatives. ;)

Advertisement