Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seatpost question

Options
  • 12-11-2007 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭

I know it's possible for a seatpost to be too short (i.e. not enough of it being inside the seat tube) but is it possible for a seatpost to be too long i.e. too much of it being inside the seat tube?

Looking for a replacement seatpost at the weekend, I could only find one of the right diameter (26.4mm) and it is very, very long.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Are you saying I should cut it or I could cut it?
    tunney wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

I would suggest that if it fits, it's OK. If you've bottle-cage mounts, it'll probably only go as far as them, so don't force it.

M

It fits alright. I was just wondering if there'd be any increased stresses on the seat tube as a result of the extra length. I'd say there are 7-8 inches of seatpost in there.
    Mucco wrote: »
    I would suggest that if it fits, it's OK. If you've bottle-cage mounts, it'll probably only go as far as them, so don't force it.

M

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Wheelworx

There is no extra stress from having a longer seatpost only one that is too short
    Rob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

IMO the extra length of the seat post in the seat tube would reinforce the rigidity evening the load stress in the down tube. (Seat tube is not perfectly vertical).

Good points there. Cheers, folks.

Advertisement