Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overdue Short Loan Book

Options
  • 12-11-2007 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭

I've just found out I had a short loan book due in at 1pm today. I wasn't planning on going to to college today (stayed home to do an essay), and frankly couldn't be bothered heading in to drop one book back (it's about an hour and a half round trip).

The short loan fine is 20c for the first 2 hours, 30c for every hour after that. I'm assuming that only runs up until 9.45pm when the desk closes?

So far my fine is 70c, would I be correct in estimating it'll be around €2.50 if I drop it back at 9am tomorrow?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Tom65 wrote: »
    I've just found out I had a short loan book due in at 1pm today. I wasn't planning on going to to college today (stayed home to do an essay), and frankly couldn't be bothered heading in to drop one book back (it's about an hour and a half round trip).

The short loan fine is 20c for the first 2 hours, 30c for every hour after that. I'm assuming that only runs up until 9.45pm when the desk closes?

So far my fine is 70c, would I be correct in estimating it'll be around €2.50 if I drop it back at 9am tomorrow?

Unfortunately it includes the hours the library is not open. I hope you have plenty of cash. The policy sucks big time, it should only include library opening times, get it in if you can, today!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Unfortunately it includes the hours the library is not open. I hope you have plenty of cash. The policy sucks big time, it should only include library opening times, get it in if you can, today!!

Balls. That would bring the fine up to €6ish. This is turning out to be a bloody expensive essay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 felixthecat

I too out a book for the first time in 2 1/2 years last week, didn't know it had to be back by a certain time so returned it on Sunday, was due Friday, but they charged me until Monday morning... almost €9!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

A friend of mine had a short loan book out over the Christmas holidays... Can't remember how much it cost her...something like 60-70 euros.... mad woman.

Edit: it could actually have been 40, but either way...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

If you turn on the waterworks you can get €10 off your fines! FACT!*

Health Science Library only. Terms and conditions apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

the above is true and not just in health science!say you've lost your laptop and it works a charm supposedly ;)

i had a 75 euro fine(beat that!!) when i had taken out lots of books as a nerdy first year and curley haired health sci guy let me off 40 just because he said he'd never seen a fine that big.then got off the 30 euro thanks to the laptop loser.sorted :D

the annoying thing was i hadnt even opened any of the books!

id say go in today,its not gonna be 70 euro but still.use the trip as a study break ha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

The max you can be charged per book is 30e. Info taken from here

Getting super frazzled can work too - the curly haired guy in health sci once let me off 2/3 of my fine and renewed all my books for me so they'd be due on the same day cause i got confused around him.

Also i've gotten away once with saying that I was sure i had renewed it online (turns out i'd pressed the wrong button)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Try using blackboard-outage related stress as an excuse, thats the best I can think of!

Getting super frazzled can work too - the curly haired guy in health sci once let me off 2/3 of my fine and renewed all my books for me so they'd be due on the same day cause i got confused around him.
    And he privately resolved to run out of A & E the second he sees you in it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

Are you sure it charges you for when the library isn't open?

I'm almost positive that wasn't the case last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Breezer wrote: »
    And he privately resolved to run out of A & E the second he sees you in it :p

Oi! (How'd you know how bad I am in clinical???) And most of the time i'm reasonable in a hospital - it's the wine pants that scare them off.

I always though it was the same too that you weren't charged when the desk wasn't open - wouldn't seem fair to charge you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

My fine came to €3.70. Considering it was around 21 hours late, I was expecting worse. Maybe it's a frequent customer discount...:p

Oi! (How'd you know how bad I am in clinical???) And most of the time i'm reasonable in a hospital - it's the wine pants that scare them off.

I always though it was the same too that you weren't charged when the desk wasn't open - wouldn't seem fair to charge you like.

I'm just going on what people say about me, don't worry :D

Anyway back on topic, linky. Seems to suggest it just keeps going up every hour, regardless of whether the library is open or not.

I know I left 2 of mine back in the out of hours box the night they were due. I had until 23.59 that night supposedly. Left them in sometime between closing time and that time, but because they weren't processed as returned until the next day I was charged €6. Which I didn't pay back until the following September when I no longer cared since the night in question was the night of my last exam last summer :p

Advertisement