Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just moved, need broadband and tv..who?

Options
  • 12-11-2007 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭

Just moved into a house today and need to get broadband set up. I also want to get a standard BASIC ntl analogue connection for the tv.

Anybody got any ideas what deal to go with? I just want basic broadband, i dont really want a phoneline but that is part and parcel of it all i suppose. Whats the best value package for money out there at the moment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

Well depends largely on where u live? If u happen to live in a urban area that is covered by ntl cable. I would have to recommend getting one of their broadband & digital tv offers. The introductory rates for new customers are quite good starting from €9.99 for 6mths goin up €45 a month after that I believe. Have the 2mb BB & digital package for €14.99 a month myself. Can't complain (too much) so far about the service. http://www.upc.ie/deals/newcustomer/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭cooper_man

Thats exactly the package im looking at!

I heard problems in the past with NTL and p2p or msn etc. Is this all cleared up? Would the 1mb line be ok for the ps3 online?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I've never heard of issues with MSN and NTL, however there are strong suggestions that NTL/UPC trottle bittorrent traffic,

However this seems to depend on the area and network load in that area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭cooper_man

To be honest, the bittorrent wouldnt majorly worry me. Im in Clonee, should be decent signal?

That NTL bb package i presume activates your other NTL ports in the house for standard analogue connection (unless you buy the extra boxes of course.)

Broadband is one of those things i HATE ordering. I have had UTV (ended up having terrible problems) and BT (which was great but they kept billing me incorrectly) and now that this is my own house, i want to keep prices down but not jeopardise playing games online, normal browsing etc!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its not a case of decent signal, basically if you can order it and the engineer comes out and confirms you can get it then you can get it,

You'd have to check with NTL for availability in your area,

NTL Broadband install is pretty straight forward, you order it and then book and engineer generally within a week or two of the order date and the eng comes out and installs it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement