Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on licensing and other bits..

Options
  • 12-11-2007 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Really hope I havent posted this in the wrong thread. If I have apologies.
    We are planning on doing an even for charity that involves selling coffee outdoors.
    The last even we had planned was used by another much larger company so this time we really want to keep it under wraps until almost the last minute. What I need to know is what are the implications of selling coffee to the public - where do we go to get a license and premission to do it. Also is there anyway of 'protecting' the idea? I really want to post it up and see what the public thinl but thats still quite risky isnt it? We have to spend 3000 at least (just to start with) so it would be great to get feedback before we go into it head first...
    any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Pines

Dalas wrote: »

We are planning on doing an even for charity that involves selling coffee outdoors.
    Also is there anyway of 'protecting' the idea? I really want to post it up and see what the public thinl but thats still quite risky isnt it?

On the "protection" point:

There's no way of protecting the idea of selling coffee outdoors, as it's well known already and other people who do this already can't be stopped from continuing to do it.

As far as getting exclusivity to do this for a particular charity ... well, the charity could give you an exclusive licence to use their name for the particular service of selling coffee, particularly if they have registered their name as a trade mark, but (a) are they willing to tell other fundraisers that they are not permitted to sell coffee? and (b) if someone else unwittingly does so and it's a one-off event, you won't be able to do anything more than have an argument with them on the day. Also, charities and legal actions between competing fundraisers is unlikely to warm a judge's heart if you are serious about enforcing exclusivity.

TBH I'm not sure if I understand the concern correctly, so I'll just emphasise the first point again - no protection (in the form of patent, trade mark, copyright, whatever) is available to prevent others from selling coffee outdoors for charity.

Advertisement