Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hamlet Balbriggan

Options
  • 12-11-2007 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Has anyone ever eaten here and complained about the food?
    I ate here once and it was awful but we decided to give it a go again yesterday and they served us pure muck. I should have complained because i had an uneaten dinner left over and so did my bf. My bf didn't want us to make a scene so we paid and left.
    Never again. Chicken was gone off by the taste of it. Just a word of warning!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have never eaten anything besides the potato wedges but others I have been there with have had no complaints.
    We haven't eaten there since Feis Garden opened above it.
    The food and the staff are lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

I had lasagne there during the summer, NEVER AGAIN. It tasted ok but you can never get a nice Lasagne anywhere, very hard. The next day was ropey all day, downstairs was v sore by end of day and felt naueous all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 starpolestar

LouOB wrote: »
    I had lasagne there during the summer, NEVER AGAIN. It tasted ok but you can never get a nice Lasagne anywhere, very hard. The next day was ropey all day, downstairs was v sore by end of day and felt naueous all day.

I know, we probably would have been sick judging by the taste and look of the chicken but we didn't eat enough of it. Yuck. The staff in the Hamlet are lovely, just the food that's off.

Fei's garden is a lovely place, the staff are great there and the food is great. We were there the 2nd night it opened and to this day they still give us a free drink or 2 everytime we go in there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

I have never eaten the food but the Guinness is only delicious, and as said before the staff are really nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭torqdj

i heard its a kip, so it fits in nicely with that end of the town

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 oceangirl

never eaten there, just had a kopparberg cider there (its so hard to get this kind of cider in balbriggan?!).

did not like it so much - better stick with the traditional pubs (ig. milestone) :D:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

torqdj wrote: »
    i heard its a kip, so it fits in nicely with that end of the town

That's a bit uncalled for isn't it, than again I ain't a local I'm a blow in.

Back on topic and in a more civil manner, I've eaten there a few times and never had a problem with the food at all, the service is great also. Maybe I was lucky, but I'd have no problem recommending it at all.
    What day / time did you eat there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭torqdj

gillo wrote: »

Back on topic and in a more civil manner, I've eaten there a few times and never had a problem with the food at all, the service is great also. Maybe I was lucky, but I'd have no problem recommending it at all.

i was just messing man, just looking for a reaction!

You aren't any good at baking then are you, 'cos I need's a big slice of humble pie, only yesterday on a different forum, I was trying to get across how "off the cuff" jokes don't travel well over the internet and often get misunerstood:o

I know it's off topic, but I just went around to the Ice Box 20 minutes ago and it was closed, the lights were on but the shutter (behind the door) was half way pulled down, I thought they closed at ten. Does anyone know exactly what time they normally close?

I was going to enjoy having the house to myself with some Erdinger and a few smokes, now I'm stuck with two bottle's of Erdinger and now smokes. Don't suppose anyone in the Barrons Hall area is feeling charitable......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 starpolestar

I ate there on a Sunday and it was dreadful, i was so looking forward to a nice sunday dinner all day :(
    And we ate there midweek, think it was a Wednesday evening after work and it was shocking again.
    No exaggeration..the worst ever!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

If your into the usual pub dinners there is plenty of good ones around the town. The Milestone for good old fashioned pub fair, the Hotel is good, the Harvest is not bad and if you travel just a wee bit the Balrothey is always very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭liverbird

ah gillo had i of known you were out of cigarettes i could have sent a few around to you.

Any hoo , the hamlet has a new chef now , he started on the 24th :)

Personally I have not had a bad meal in in there
    himself loves the chicken wings, thai noodle dish and the friendly bar staff

Fei Garden is very hit and miss, they could not do enough for you when it first started but the meat in there is very second rate now.

The ice box closes at 11 I think U were unlucky gillo

The Huntsman just north of Balbriggan is great also, although it the decor is a bit grotty. I've eaten there many a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

The Huntsman just north of Balbriggan is great also, although it the decor is a bit grotty. I've eaten there many a time.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=946 TBH. :D

Fair point Bluetonic, but considering that it is ten minutes drive north, I thought it'd be ok.

And to make things worse, I mixed it up with the pub across the road from it, I actually meant the Cock Tavern.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It took me a minute to work out the relevance of Bluetonics link there.

The food in The Harvest is nice,and there is a good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Moonbeam wrote: »
    The food in The Harvest is nice

once you dont get the platter!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

had dinner in the hamlet once and never again,service was the slowest i ever experienced,food was crap,the mash tasted like instant smash,it wasnt even hot.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Legend20

sgarvan wrote: »
    once you dont get the platter!! ;)
    Ah it's only famous that platter!!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

liverbird wrote: »
    Any hoo , the hamlet has a new chef now , he started on the 24th :)

I might give it one last chance now you said that!! It would be so handy for us if the food was nice. The Harvest is nice food alright, good hearty dinners!

• Advertisement

The pints in Hamlet are fairly lovely all the same, ive only ever gotten the wedges and profiteroles in their so i cant really judge on anything else. I think the general layout of the pub is crap, tellys in awkward positions if youwanna see match (which is the main reason I go their cos I work in Dunnes across the road.)

Legend20 wrote: »
    which is the main reason I go their cos I work in Dunnes across the road.

Now folks, no Dunnes bashing please:D

I've never gone over to watch a match, but yeah. It'd be hard enough to get a good view.

Dunnes bashing??
    Go right ahead, it's one of the perks of working there! You can get a good inside view of how **** it actually is!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 carlostevez

i have eaten there since i have moved out here and i have to say the old menu and chef
    was poor went back last week had the stirfry it was very good also my wife had the fish it was so big she could not finish it they seem to have got it right new chefs food is good and new menu is good as well give it another go you should be impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

i have eaten there since i have moved out here and i have to say the old menu and chef
    was poor went back last week had the stirfry it was very good also my wife had the fish it was so big she could not finish it they seem to have got it right new chefs food is good and new menu is good as well give it another go you should be impressed
    What a glowing review from a first time poster. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 carlostevez

i only found out about this web sight the other day one of the guys in the office was showing it to me but as i said i have had no problems up there and the lads and girls are good craic up there and just leeting you know the food has improved in my opinion but im no gordan ramsey also im looking for a good resturant down town if anyone can recommend one

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Fair Play to the Staff in the Hamlet last night. Great night had by all at their 'customer appreciation night!' Cheers!

Aww, didn't know about that or I would have gone to be appreciated;)

What did they have on?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭liverbird

grahamo wrote: »
    Fair Play to the Staff in the Hamlet last night. Great night had by all at their 'customer appreciation night!' Cheers!

twas a good laugh alright, dj free beers and food. and then a snowball fight :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sueandjoe

had a bite to eat in hamlet last week, ended up with bad food bad prices bad service and bad attitude of a muppet bar man :confused::confused::confused:. dnt mean to be this harsh but thats how it was. im going down town from now on, its such a shame cause it a nice looking place and only 2 mins walk.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement