Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hamlet Balbriggan

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 starpolestar

sueandjoe wrote: »
    had a bite to eat in hamlet last week, ended up with bad food bad prices bad service and bad attitude of a muppet bar man :confused::confused::confused:. dnt mean to be this harsh but thats how it was. im going down town from now on, its such a shame cause it a nice looking place and only 2 mins walk.

Ditto, it's so handy and would be great if the food was good. We would be there a couple of nights a week if that was the case!
    I haven't been able to bring myself to eat there again since originally posting this, honestly feel like it would be like throwing money down the toilet and being left hungry after!
    After reading this I definitely won't be trying it again. Pity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sueandjoe

I know its a pity, cause it started off very good, but thats life.does anyone know of any good gigs around balbriggan area, you cant beat a good pint and some decent live music:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

For live music watch out for Randy Roxx in the hotel. Actually it's worth just checking out his poster. Eighties hair-tastic!

Actually, the hotel have a couple of good players in there during the week, couple of different acts, mainly two guys with guitars. Avoid the Monday night "seisun" though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sueandjoe

thanks blastman, seems like sound advice will check it out soon

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I had forgotten about the session on a Monday!
    Is it still loads of guitarists and 3 tin whistles?

The Man O' War has a great Monday session.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kitty kats

hi i went into the kip the hamlet the other day for lunch, as the menu look good ,we walked in and sat down and my partner went to get a high chair for our baby and the so called manger shouted across the pub that we couldnt use the high chair as my partner tryed to say we would like to have lunch tat is why we needed the high chair he kept shouting acroos the pub that there was no chef he all as one told us to get out, so so rude.
    we went to the cafe cates instead the food is so nice and the staff dont shout across the room at u in frount of other people.
    we will never ever put our feet inside that kid again all thanks to the so called manger KEITH

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭lisao80

i used live in the apartments above abra when the hamlet first opened and the food was always s**t there. caites cafe for lunch is very nice, and they do lovely coffees etc too. havent been up there in over 12 months .. just stick to godfathers or abra id say, if they are still there.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Never had a problem in there foods always top notch and handy to get to- Suppose staff behind the bar cud be friendlier- Floor staff are very nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭sneem-man

kitty kats wrote: »
    hi i went into the kip the hamlet the other day for lunch, as the menu look good ,we walked in and sat down and my partner went to get a high chair for our baby and the so called manger shouted across the pub that we couldnt use the high chair as my partner tryed to say we would like to have lunch tat is why we needed the high chair he kept shouting acroos the pub that there was no chef he all as one told us to get out, so so rude.
    we went to the cafe cates instead the food is so nice and the staff dont shout across the room at u in frount of other people.
    we will never ever put our feet inside that kid again all thanks to the so called manger KEITH

After reading your prose,I doubt that you not frequenting the aforementioned pub will give Keith sleepless nights.
    John D's is opening in a few weeks,you'll enjoy it there...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

On a sidenote to this thread (as I dont think it needs a whole new thread to answer this question)..if I wanted to use the Hamlet, are there any atm's around there? I know there is one in Dunnes but is that the only one around unless you go into the town itself?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

EF wrote: »
    On a sidenote to this thread (as I dont think it needs a whole new thread to answer this question)..if I wanted to use the Hamlet, are there any atm's around there? I know there is one in Dunnes but is that the only one around unless you go into the town itself?

The one in Dunnes tends to not work on weekend evenings - I don't know if this is done to discourage people just going in to use it or not but it seems to happen a lot. There's no other ATMs around there, nearest one would be in the Sail In garage beside the Garda station.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

What is the story with the Hamlet, are they ACTIVELY trying to run it into the ground?
    Has anyone else noticed that the place is now full with every scumbag gouger that has been banned from the other pubs in the town.

Its a f**king joke. All the place is short of is a shooting or stabbing. They need to sort it out and get this sort of scum out of the place. I live not too far away and am ashamed that such an establishment exists beside us...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

torqdj wrote: »
    i heard its a kip, so it fits in nicely with that end of the town

Really rude and offencive.Please keep your cruel comments to yourself.
    My brother lives up that way and loves it.

Ignore that silly comment, I wasnt mad about the area myself but eventually I purchased a house there and like it. My gripe is with the type of customer that the hamlet is allowing to be served. I know for a fact the people being served are barred in other establishments and for very good reasons, as to how I know well I worked in a few of them through the years and saw what these same people will get up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I've heard similar stories about that place. A friend of mine works in the off license beside it and some of the stories he has told me about the clientele of the Hamlet would put you completely off going next nor near the area though.

Its true and I along with others have TOLD the owner to stop serving these people. The place used to be a nice stop before a night out but now I would rate it as probably the last place I would go to in the town for a pint. shame as I can see the place from my home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

I dont drink there, but I do hate seeing young children being roared at by drunken parents.
    Also the group of peole you have to pass through wehn going to Feis garden would put you off.I think , in the beginning it was nice.Shame, its gone downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

You could say the same for De Bruins and John D's before the 'incident' too, lovely pubs ruined by the sheer greed of its owners.

There pubs not creches- people go there to take legal drugs and these days owners are allowing allsorts in to keep there head above water so thats that! I give them a bit of business when i can with ordering trays of food and drinks for special occasions. Place isn't that bad- i pass by it on foot daily!

If they stopped allowing "allsorts" in they would get better customers and more of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

I was in Feis Garden the other night for the first time in months and I was surprised to see the difference in the Hamlet clientele. Really rough and not nice having to walk through a bunch of them to get into the place. The pub owners must be mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hmnn I just moved to the area a month or two ago. I had wanted to pop-in here at some point but it looks like I'll be giving it a miss. It's a shame as it's less than 5 minutes from the house whereas the next closest pub would be a good 25 min walk to town.

Harvest is good. my local all my life. nice food too. worth the 25 minute walk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SkintHeiress

Hubby, mum and me went there for a few drinks and something to eat a few months back and it was definitely a mistake.
    Me and mum got calamari and something else but hubby ordered some beef curry and got the runs the same night as a dessert.
    We'll never eat there again but goes there for the odd pint once a month or so. It's handy but I do think that one of the barmen should take a charm course!
    One is really friendly but the other one (maybe the owner) should not be behind the bar at all. Miserable bastard.

Sorry for stupid question but what else gets you barred from other pubs other then fighting or getting too drunk? Some people said that the "bad ones" are in The Hamlet now. Just curious...

use your imagination, nobody is going to accuse people of doing things and get themselves in trouble. think of some of the worst things you can, they are probably the same im thinking of and happen here too. Someone I know who works behind the bar there sometimes was badly beaten up by "customers" whilst walking home a few months ago as he refused to serve them for being too drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SkintHeiress

They don't need to ACCUSE anyone. Just telling what sort of things that's been happening. (Like you did in your last sentence)
    Not like being named or anything!
    Bloody heck! Sorry for asking and I get it now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Morphéus wrote: »
    Harvest is good. my local all my life. nice food too. worth the 25 minute walk!

How long is the walk back?:D

We go there generally when we're already drunk and it seems like a good idea. Got to know a few people there who are decent sorts, but don't often get chatting to people, or stay too long either. But I second that they seem to serve anyone, the odd time in the last two years me and the fella have been so roaring drunk we should have been booted out on our ears but they never refused us. Being refused in the Hamlet is probably a sign you should check into rehab ;) Similarly to others here we go there because it's only a few minutes away. Never ate there because we found this thread when we first moved to the area! ;)

1000 times yes to the person who said "it's a pub, not a creche" - we have been calling it "the creche" since moving here, any time before 9pm on weekends.

Hubby, mum and me went there for a few drinks and something to eat a few months back and it was definitely a mistake.
    Me and mum got calamari and something else but hubby ordered some beef curry and got the runs the same night as a dessert.
    We'll never eat there again but goes there for the odd pint once a month or so. It's handy but I do think that one of the barmen should take a charm course!
    One is really friendly but the other one (maybe the owner) should not be behind the bar at all. Miserable bastard.

Sorry for stupid question but what else gets you barred from other pubs other then fighting or getting too drunk? Some people said that the "bad ones" are in The Hamlet now. Just curious...

Thats strange cos they haven't served food in there for well over a year and a half? What pub do you work for then lol! Ah the place isn't that bad, its spotless and is local so keep the place going if your going for a pint and don't let a story of a stragller or 2 put you off! Wouldn't it be worse if the shutters were always down?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I am gone from Balbriggan a year and a half now but I used to really enjoy the stroll down for a pint and some hot nuts and home again.
    The staff were always nice and the other clientele rarely bothered me so it is a shame to hear that it has gone downhill.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement