Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a cheap way to get a male cat castrated in Dublin ?

Options
  • 12-11-2007 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Ger the man

A vet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Hi, you could try the blue cross (i think thats the one I mean) I'm not sure if they do operations like that but you could try them. However I must say that it sickens me the amount of people I see q-ing outside their van whenever they are around, it's supposed to be a charity and people just take advantage of it!

If you can afford it bring him to the vet, it's only about €60 - €80, and to be honest, if you cant afford that then you should really consider re-homing him, as there will be expences all through his life, like his vaxinations, or if he gets injured. If you cant afford neutering him then you will run into trouble later on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The Blue Cross operate mobile clinics around Dublin and offer a less expensive service, but really having your cat neutered isn't all that expensive anyway.

http://www.bluecross.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

i can afford to care for him, he is fed 4 times a day

i just don't want to get ripped off at a vet

the blue cross sounds like a good idea

i'll ask around about them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭TheB

If you can afford it bring him to the vet, it's only about €60 - €80, and to be honest, if you cant afford that then you should really consider re-homing him, as there will be expences all through his life, like his vaxinations, or if he gets injured. If you cant afford neutering him then you will run into trouble later on.

At least calculate vacc costs throughout your cats life (8+ years) after getting him castrated and get insurance for illness etc - its not expensive and will get you out of trouble if he has an accident or gets ill etc - therefore you can guarantee he has the prompt veterinary care he might need even if your general budget is limited..

Back to topic tho - the Blue Cross or DSPCA clinics can help..

• Advertisement

lucozader wrote: »

the blue cross sounds like a good idea

i'll ask around about them

:mad:

Ripped off ??? you will find most vets in the same area charge in a similar bracket for common treatments such as castration..The Blue Cross is a charity for people who genuinely are having trouble paying for their animals care - please don't abuse them....

And it's not just about being able to afford to feed an animal.. as previous posts state.. it's also affording vaccinations, emergency care for illnesses, accidents etc etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

The blue cross is a charity. If you can afford to have a pet, you can afford to get it neutered. Please dont exploit the blue cross.

If you think 60-80 euro is expensive (and I dont think it is), its over 300 dollars to get a male cat neutered in Canada. (not sure of the conversion, but its still a lot more).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Hi lucozader, I'm sure he is well fed and loved :) If you can afford, it's a good idea (I find) to build up a relationship with your vet anyway, makes it less stressful on the animal when you do have to bring him. Also the blue cross is a charity, if you go to them for help consider leaving an extra bit of money as a donation. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

I have fish, dogs, cats, birds, newts and frogs over the years and have treated them all better than humans, with much loving and respect

of course i am going to do right by the cat

he could not ask for a better home

I have fish, dogs, cats, birds, newts and frogs over the years

So you will have used vets before and know that they don't rip you off.. they charge what is neccessary.. why not take your cat to a vet you know and trust - as Helena.Ryan says it's a good thing to have a relationship with your vet..

and have treated them all better than humans, with much loving and respect

of course i am going to do right by the cat

he could not ask for a better home

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Bring him to the Blue Cross, leave a 60 euro donation if you feel Vets are "ripping people off".

Cheaper than the computers monitor you are frowning at now.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Not completely OT but TheB, how do you find vet prices here compared with UK?

I'm of the opinion that vet care is quite cheap here... all things considered.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I have to say I've never felt ripped-off by our vet, in fact I'm always amazed at how reasonable he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Ger the man

The title of your post suggest's that you are unwilling \ unable to pay for a professional job by a qualified vet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

he is fed 4 times a day

wow four times a day seems like allot to me, but im sure if you can afford to feed four times a day then you can afford a vet, as someone said here dont exploit charity orginisations. Do you have kid?, If you do Im sure you would provide the best medical treatment for them you could afford, would you not do this for your cat also???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

No it's not. It depends on the size of the cat food you're feeding. Maybe the OP buys that expensive Sheba stuff. That comes in small little tubs - an adult male would need 3-4 a day for sure!

OP please don't abuse the service the Blue Cross offer unless you're going to leave a donation. I've never felt ripped off by vets before - what experiences have you had to make you feel this way?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

I got my male cat neutered 2 weeks ago and it cost 53 euro. I don't consider that a rip-off.

fits wrote: »
    Not completely OT but TheB, how do you find vet prices here compared with UK?

I'm of the opinion that vet care is quite cheap here... all things considered.

I find overall vet costs are cheaper here than in the UK.. dog visits for a skin complaint were approx two thirds of what it would cost in the UK.. Horse has a leg infection has been requiring repeated visits which would have cost up to £700-£800 (GBP) (between 1k -1.5k euro ) by now and has cost approx E350 to date.. I'm delighted !!

A cat neuter in UK would be roughly £60GBP which is about 85 euro.. so a large difference..

Bargain!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

DIY

hehehehehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Yes the Blue Cross is a charity, and they offer their services for a donation, they don't just let you walk in and not pay. There is a minimum donation too. Or that's what they tell us anytime we have went there.

There's a reasonable vet in Clontarf, I'll get the name from my mother.

Why do you refer to it as castration? They don't literally slice off his manhood do they?

• Advertisement

Why do you refer to it as castration? They don't literally slice off his manhood do they?

Check out Wiki.. Wiki Castration Definition

Not the manhood.. just the ManStones - removes the testosterone issue..

Advertisement