Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free images for websites.

Options
  • 12-11-2007 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.
    Just wondering if there is any good sites for
    FREE + royalty free images for use on websites?
    So far I have come across loads of sites that advertise being free but are not. I don't mind having to link back to their site via text link.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

There are a couple of free stock image sites, but their range isn't that amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

you may be reading royalty free ???

Anyways ... http://www.sxc.hu/ is probably one of the most popular ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

forbairt wrote: »
    you may be reading royalty free ???.
    A lot of sites wouldn't bother making that distinction too obvious on their homepage -- and so neither do the Google search results.

I think for good stock images you really need to be prepaired to pay a bit. Although sxc.hu is worth a look alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Caryatnid

Why not go onto Flickr or Dev Art and ask the photographers directly for permission to use their photographs.

I could recommend some photographers/sites/links if you like. (PM me)

There are some amazing hobby photographers out there who would be delighted to let you use their images for really cheap, or possibly even free, just for the prestige of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

There's some nice little icons / images royalty free at http://www.linkmatrix.de/open_education_download_icon.html

I use them in all my Java applications but they'd be quite useful on a website too i'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

search.creativecommons.org might also come in handy.

(I think Firefox comes with the CC search built into the search bar drop-down)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Some great options there, thanks for help guys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

If you're willing to pay something for photos, iStock Photo is cheap and cheerful, and has a pretty large selection. Depending on the size you require, photos can be purchased for as little as $1, and for the web, you wouldn't be paying more than $4 per photo, which is still extremely reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Favorite 10 Free Stock Photo Download Sites has a good list of free image sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 brianmca

istockphoto.com is great.
    It's owned by one of the big stock players (possibly getty). $1 images excellent for most web stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I realise the OP's looking for images, but you may find something you like on Open Clip Art.

Advertisement