Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Readyboost and SD Cards

• 12-11-2007 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭

Im thinking of getting a dell vostro 1000 with Vista business and 1GB ram.
    As I understand more that 1GB is desirable so thats where readyboost comes in.

I have a 2GB Kingston (Taiwan-made) micro SD card, and a 1GB japan-made kingston micro-sd card.

Now both are fairly full and thats where my question is.

Do SD cards have to be completely empty to get the full benefit, and will those cards work ok?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

you have to assign a portion of the card over to readyboost.
    so if you want 1 gig readyboost, you need to free up 1 gig on the card.

afaik readyboost doesnt work with sd cards as they are too slow,
    there is a workaround available, but imo that kind of defeats the purpose of a "boost"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭BCawley

subway wrote: »
    afaik readyboost doesnt work with sd cards as they are too slow
    After a googling it says SD cards do work, but just to make sure to get the correct speeds.

One thing thats bothered me though, the Vostro 1000 has max ram of 2 GB.
    Does that mean when it comes with 1GB, will only a 1Gb card work, or am i free to use up to a 4GB card?

Thanks btw :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

BCawley wrote: »
    After a googling it says SD cards do work, but just to make sure to get the correct speeds.

One thing thats bothered me though, the Vostro 1000 has max ram of 2 GB.
    Does that mean when it comes with 1GB, will only a 1Gb card work, or am i free to use up to a 4GB card?

Thanks btw :D

That's just the max ram the motherboards can have installed in it. It shouldn't affect the sd card. Saying that readyboost isn't meant to be all that good. I really think you should just get a laptop with 2GBs ram instead.

That's just the max ram the motherboards can have installed in it. It shouldn't affect the sd card. Saying that readyboost isn't meant to be all that good. I really think you should just get a laptop with 2GBs ram instead.

Thanks for the opinion. I'm working to a budget, so im not prepared to upgrade to 2GB. Having a 2GB card handy is sorta swinging me towards Windows Vista over XP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭El_mariachi

in the long run it would be better to hold off till u can get 2 gb as some one said ready boost isnt all that and I know, using vista ultimate on a gb ram and ready boost rarely "boosts" it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

generally memory price drops all the time

I've no idea if the Aldi €9.99 SD card could be used with ready boost but it's a lot cheaper than laptop memory at the moment :D

readyboost is not part of the 3.5GB limit of 32bit vista , you can use up to 4GB of it.

minimum amount of space free on the SD must be 256MB - but hardly worth doing it at that
    on a laptop with 1GB ram the main benefit might be power saving since the HDD will get used less

Thanks for that. I plan on dual booting with Linux also so its mainly me just weighing up would it be better to get XP or Vista.

Its Vista business, so as I understand I have downgrade rights for XP Pro.
    If I could get my hands on an XP Pro install disc, is it as simple as ringing up and quoting my Vista key?

Advertisement