Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Platinis plans rejected

• 12-11-2007 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Domestic cup winners will not get to play in the Champions League after a proposal from Uefa chief Michel Platini was rejected, BBC Sport understands.

Platini had suggested that cup winners should play off for the places currently given to the fourth-placed finishers in the top European leagues.

But his proposal was turned down at a meeting of top European officials.

One agreed change is that the team that comes third in the Premier League will go straight into the Champions League.

The team that finishes fourth will continue to play a qualifier to reach the group stages.

Six new countries will also earn automatic Champions League status.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/7090646.stm

Doesnt say who the 6 countries that get automatic promotion to it are or if 6 lose out.

kdjac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

It is the best club competition around and since it underwent a format change has surpassed the old European cup by miles in terms of standards.How anyone can wish it still retained the old format is baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ziggy wrote: »

Yep. Get Malmo back into the final, magic European nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

ziggy wrote: »

Cant have both the CL now is the best football in the world, but it comes at a price that it caters to the g14 too much and devalues the less compos ie finish 3rd in your group and your into the UEFA. There wont be any smaller teams in anytime soon as its not for them.

So uefa cup betting in neglible now as the favourites arent in it yet.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm kinda disappointed. After thinking about it for a bit, I realise that it was unfair. It wasn't a true test of skill, and the 4th place team deserves it more than the FA Cup winning team.

That said, the monopoly of the big four can't continue forever and the CL perpetuates this. I would have liked to see this happen just to **** things up a little.

PHB wrote: »
    I'm kinda disappointed. After thinking about it for a bit, I realise that it was unfair. It wasn't a true test of skill, and the 4th place team deserves it more than the FA Cup winning team.

That said, the monopoly of the big four can't continue forever and the CL perpetuates this. I would have liked to see this happen just to **** things up a little.

In england yes, but other countries have far more CL reps than the EPL.

Hopefully the EPL will even out and someone will break the top 4, but tbh with the money in the league its unlikley.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I would have liked the proposal from the point of view of making the FA Cup worth something. However, the CL I feel is becoming a little stale, especially the group stages. I would prefer a system where it was knockout from day one. Who wants to see the likes of Rosenborg lose all 6 of their group matches?

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    I would have liked the proposal from the point of view of making the FA Cup worth something. However, the CL I feel is becoming a little stale, especially the group stages. I would prefer a system where it was knockout from day one. Who wants to see the likes of Rosenborg lose all 6 of their group matches?

Who wants to see a G14 club lose in the 1st round? i totally agree with you but its never going to happen top clubs demands 6 games a season and get well paid for it , and rosenberg would be one of the few who earned the right to be there.

As a football fan knockout encourages defensive football wheares the league stage encourages away wins and teams going for the 3 points away, granted after 4 games it meaningless the chaff has been sorted from the wheat but its good to see teams going for it away. theres the odd group that hasnt been settled and its always worth it to watch their matches in the last 2 games.

kdjac

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »

Rosenburg are second in chelseas group IIRC after beating Valencia recently, although i understand what you mean just prehaps not the best of examples there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Would letting the FA Cup winner make any difference at all? When was the last time a team finished outside the top 4 of the premiership and won it?

At a guess Chelsea in 00 but we all know who didn't participate that year :D

Unearthly wrote: »
    Would letting the FA Cup winner make any difference at all? When was the last time a team finished outside the top 4 of the premiership and won it?

At a guess Chelsea in 00 but we all know who didn't participate that year :D

it would if you came 4th.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

KdjaCL wrote: »
    it would if you came 4th.

kdjac

You'd be looking at a situation where one of Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, or Chelsea underachieved in the league, but won the FA Cup. Not very likely imo

Unearthly wrote: »
    You'd be looking at a situation where one of Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, or Chelsea underachieved in the league, but won the FA Cup. Not very likely imo

very unlikley but still a threat to their position, do you recall the liverpool hissy fits regards being champions?

G14 clubs dont like being threatened with a loss of income.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Who wants to see a G14 club lose in the 1st round? i totally agree with you but its never going to happen top clubs demands 6 games a season and get well paid for it , and rosenberg would be one of the few who earned the right to be there.

As a football fan knockout encourages defensive football wheares the league stage encourages away wins and teams going for the 3 points away, granted after 4 games it meaningless the chaff has been sorted from the wheat but its good to see teams going for it away. theres the odd group that hasnt been settled and its always worth it to watch their matches in the last 2 games.

kdjac

Wow, I can't disagree more. The knockout stages produce far better matches over a group stage match. I mean look at the amount of meaningless and boring games there has been this season. The champions league doesn't really get started to february imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Bring back the cup-winners cup!

Why was it scrapped anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Because with the CL coming into force, the likelihood of you getting the actual cup winner was almost nil :)

Advertisement