Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with Eircom hosting

Options
  • 12-11-2007 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi guys not sure if this is the correct forum.

This is my first commercial site and as such i have very little experience with FTP for putting up the files.

I read in another thread that you need eircom as your isp to upload the files but i still keep getting the following error with filezilla

Error: Connection timed out
    Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing

I can see that the username and password seem to be correct and this is driving me nuts as the customer is jumping down my throat to get this up besides the fact that it's her fault for getting eircom hosting.

Any advice kindly accepted and thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

To use FTP, you need the following:

- FTP address (either an IP or an address like ftp://ftp.yoursite.com)
    - Username
    - Password

Once you have these, you should be able to use an FTP program like the one you have by adding this information to the connection info.

Are you hosting this under a proper domain? Or some free space provided by Eircom? You should really look at contacting the likes of www.blacknight.com or www.hosting365.com as Eircom are a nightmare to deal with.

You might want to PM someone the details so they can test it for you and maybe diagnose it better for you.

Rgds, Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭johntreacy

Hi Dave thanks for the reply
    I figured it out in the ftp client i had it set in the transfer mode to default and it had to be active. Such a pain in the head has lifted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

Eircom's hosting is probably the worst hosting you can possibly buy (at a premium too). Move to another host.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

based on the error you have entered the address incorrectly.
    can you access the ftp via a browser?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

johntreacy wrote: »
    Hi guys not sure if this is the correct forum.

This is my first commercial site and as such i have very little experience with FTP for putting up the files.

I read in another thread that you need eircom as your isp to upload the files but i still keep getting the following error with filezilla

Error: Connection timed out
    Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing

I can see that the username and password seem to be correct and this is driving me nuts as the customer is jumping down my throat to get this up besides the fact that it's her fault for getting eircom hosting.

Any advice kindly accepted and thanks for any replies.

I've bee doing web development for about 10 years at this point so my advice:

Get another hosting company!

• Advertisement
Advertisement