Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

42" Kuro or Larger 1080p LCD?

• 12-11-2007 8:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭

Basically i have seen LCDs (sony bravia 46w2000) and am not impressed with the ghosting and blurring in sports. Other wise they're fine. But it is important to me that this issue is kept to a minimum.

I will be playing PS3 on the set.

I'm a bit stuck here lads. I'm really liking the sound of the Kuro. But i would also like to be able to hook up a pc to it, not essential though, will there be a problem with screen burn in.

Have any of the new LCDs gone further to solving the blur issues.

42 inch would be good for the room it's going into.viewing distance is 6-8 feet. it could be 8-12 depending on where we decide to sit it in the end.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I using my PS3 on a 42"Pioneer Plasma without a problem(it's frick'in awesome actual), but I wouldn't want to hook it up to PC. Go with LCD if you're going to be use it with your PC a lot. If not, go with the Kuro. It's a fantastic set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭karl200607

Well personally i would stay away from lcd alltogether i havnt seen any that can match a decent plasma.Black levels,viewing angles,colour reproduction,shadow detail are all superior on plasmas.

I wouldnt be too worried anymore about screen burn as the latest plasmas have come along way at keeping the issue at a minimum as long as u dont leave a still image on for hours and hours.Just remember to keep all picture settings below half way for the first 200 hours of use.

Also sd content tends to look inferior on a full hd screen because of the increased resolution and pixels. it becomes harder to scale lower resolution content up to a higher resolution screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

_Brian_ wrote: »

regardless what any review says, LCD is not as good as plasma. i've seen plasma beside full hd top of the line LCDs and its not the same. plasma is far better.

in 42", there is no TV that beat the pioneer. i now its not 1080p, but it doesnt matter a huge amount... at 42" it is be very hard to see the difference.

the colour levels on the pioneer are the best i've ever seen.

and it does support 1080p and 24framesP so you'll be grand to look at blu rays. even Panasonic's 1080p 42" doesnt support 24framesP.

moe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I have a panasonic myself and I wouldn't change it.
    I put on easy rider the other night http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easy_Rider and it looked great on the plasma :) ,I know for a fact I wouldn't be able to watch it on an lcd.

Old stuff looks cool on it , as does blu-ray !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭Soarer

The Sony X2000 you looked at is old technology, and has been replaced by the x3500. I have the 40x3500, and it's incredible. I've never had a chance to do a side-by-side between it and the Kuro, but if the Kuro is better, it must be an incredible picture altogether as I find the Sony pretty much flawless.

As for...
    big_moe wrote: »
    and it does support 1080p and 24framesP so you'll be grand to look at blu rays.
    moe

It might support 1080/24p, but it can't display it.
    The Kuro will still have to do it's own processing to allow the 1080/24p be displayed on its non-1080p screen.
    Therefore I believe it'll still be prone to judder when watching a 1080p source.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 BigP

I'm also considering buying the Kuro (PDP4280XD). For me, it's coming down to a toss up between it and the Panasonic TH-42PZ700. Does anyone have any personal experience of these two sets?

If the Kuro was 1080p, it would be a clincher but only the Panasonic has it. Is there really a noticeable difference between 720p and 1080p displays on a 42" TV? Gah, I'm really torn between these two TVs........

Advertisement