Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating leaving cert now??

Options
  • 12-11-2007 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I,ve decided that the course I,m doing is not for me, to be honest i,m very unhappy. I was thinking of dropping out now and repeating but I think it could be a bit late now. I got 500 points last year, but didn't really work to my ability. I would really like to do medicine, if anyone has any advice i would really appreciate it. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Just offering you another option: could you talk to your current university (if it is a university you're in) about transferring to another course, like science, for example, with a view to going for postgrad medicine afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

Just offering you another option: could you talk to your current university (if it is a university you're in) about transferring to another course, like science, for example, with a view to going for postgrad medicine afterwards?

i would agree wit this i honestly dont think going baack to repeat is the answer,

wat course are you doing at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

chizum wrote: »
    I got 500 points last year, but didn't really work to my ability.

If you got 500 points with-out working to your ability, then I would say yes, you should consider repeating the LC. The only other option you have is (like MM said above) post-grad entry into Med.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Woop_01

chizum wrote: »
    I,ve decided that the course I,m doing is not for me, to be honest i,m very unhappy. I was thinking of dropping out now and repeating but I think it could be a bit late now. I got 500 points last year, but didn't really work to my ability. I would really like to do medicine, if anyone has any advice i would really appreciate it. Thanks

Now what are you studying ??? . Did you do a third language at 2nd level education ?? .

And you have said
    but didn't really work to my ability
    . But like in my class were the top but still you have to work to the best of you ability to get five hundred points in the leaving cert . Thats a lie there . So I’m just saying you can’t fool anyone . And about the medicine I would say NO . because why would you not work to the best of your ability after all . If your repeat now you still would say again
    but didn't really work to my ability
    you will be saying again . And on a IQ scale you would only be High Average intelligence . But still not the right IQ scale for this course at all !!

Woop

Woop_01 wrote: »
    And you have said [QU0TE] but didn't really work to my ability [QU0TE] . But like in my class were the top but still you have to work to the best of you ability to get five hundred points in the leaving cert . Thats a lie there . So I’m just saying you can’t fool anyone .

And what about the people then who are naturally brilliant? That's a load of bullcrap imo.
    And about the medicine I would say NO . because why would you not work to the best of your ability after all . If your repeat now you still would say again [QU0TE] but didn't really work to my ability [QU0TE] you will be saying again .

/sigh. So how do you explain students who get their courses when they repeat and get the points? What an incredibly illogical thing to say tbh.
    And on a IQ scale you would only be High Average intelligence . But still not the right IQ scale for this course at all !!

Care to explain that one? What the hell does IQ have to do with studying Medicine?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Woop_01

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    And what about the people then who are naturally brilliant? That's a load of bullcrap imo.

/sigh. So how do you explain students who get their courses when they repeat and get the points? What an incredibly illogical thing to say tbh.

Care to explain that one? What the hell does IQ have to do with studying Medicine?

Your missing the point !! . If you can’t get the points now this year in the leaving cert why would you get them next year and at that number . As I as I have distinguish my reading this the person has chosen signs of human indolent in the use of education . (So he or she says any way) And its not just like he or she got this year in the LC 480 and he or she need 510 points . And not every one gets into this course .

If you can’t get them points in your LC at or near 570 or 580 In your LC . Why the hell would you try a harder subject and which you have no knowledge in the ability to intake any of this . Its not a normal higher level maths subject . Its university and medicine . And a iq is very precious due to this he not virtuoso it would have shown up on a iq test. And also on the LC

And anyone who gets 570 or 580 in the LC are virtuoso . But he or she is not in this subject .

I understood about 25% of that post tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MaltEagle

You understood alot more than me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭alan_simon

Your missing the point !! . If you can’t get the points now this year in the leaving cert why would you get them next year and at that number .

Because u've already covered the material, uve become focused after a year in uni, you've decided to apply urself.... need i go on?
    . As I as I have distinguish my reading this the person has chosen signs of human indolent in the use of education . (So he or she says any way) And its not just like he or she got this year in the LC 480 and he or she need 510 points . And not every one gets into this course . .

eh... what? care to translate there, amigo?
    If you can’t get them points in your LC at or near 570 or 580 In your LC . Why the hell would you try a harder subject and which you have no knowledge in the ability to intake any of this . Its not a normal higher level maths subject . Its university and medicine . And a iq is very precious due to this he not virtuoso it would have shown up on a iq test. And also on the LC
    And anyone who gets 570 or 580 in the LC are virtuoso . But he or she is not in this subject .

I presume by 'virtuoso' you mean a genius. scoring that high in the LC doesnt necessarily mean ur a genius. You might be good at exams, or have studied lots.

LCE Points Statistics for 2007 : Candidates : 50,870
    Candidates scoring 600 points : 160 ( 0.3%)
    Candidates scoring from 500 - 599 : 4,216 ( 8.3%)

(sourced from http://www2.cao.ie/app_scoring/points_stats/LC07PTS.pdf)

so according to this, around 1000 6th year students are 'virtuoso's?
    Pull the other one...

To OP, if your considering re-sitting, how about the A levels? I just posted a thread about them a few minutes ago. Or, you could transfer internally to something u like, and do a post grad medicine course. A friend of mine did that, and he's currently studying down in Limerick. Cost a pretty penny (80k +) but he's loving it.

al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

I'm repeating! RCSI here I come!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

Now what are you studying ??? . Did you do a third language at 2nd level education ?? .

And you have said but didn't really work to my ability . But like in my class were the top but still you have to work to the best of you ability to get five hundred points in the leaving cert . Thats a lie there . So I’m just saying you can’t fool anyone . And about the medicine I would say NO . because why would you not work to the best of your ability after all . If your repeat now you still would say again but didn't really work to my ability you will be saying again . And on a IQ scale you would only be High Average intelligence . But still not the right IQ scale for this course at all !!

Woop

This is utter bull and you obviously haven't a clue what you are talking about. I got 440 the first time and didn't study. I was far too committed to other things. Last year I went to college, dropped out after christmas, applied to do the leaving in February and started studying in March. I dropped Geography, Irish and app maths and took up a subject I'd never done before. I barely scraped a pass in that but, even though I was working full time (49 hours a week) right up to the exams I still got 505 and I am no genius, perhaps very, very little above average. I'm repeating again this year.

Good luck Chizum, it's not too late to start now if you haven't already :)

And woop, please learn how to use the quote tags properly.

Advertisement