Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Members Winter Forecast 2007/8

Options
  • 12-11-2007 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭

Just for fun! How about we all post up here what way we think this winter will come? Hopefully our hearts won't rule our heads tho! Winter being Dec, Jan and Feb...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

I'm betting on a cold snap before XMas. We seem to be getting a lot of North Westerlies and the odd Northerly. One of them is bound to produce a good cold snap. After that, I think its just guesswork...

A

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Good thread Danno, I'm with arctictree on this one.I'll go with one real 3 or 4 day northerly or easterly blast before Christmas.

Why? With the way the ensembles are predicting cold weather just into FI atm, i think one of these will come off. But at this time of year i would forget about mid altlantic blocking to produce real cold air from the north,we need an arctic HP to slip southwards into the mid atlantic or scandi to produce a potent cold air mass over us.
    Snow would be an added bonus.

After Christmas, we will have to see if La Nina influences our weather pattern for the rest of winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I would love to see a polar low. it has been while since we had one! A polar low would be much better for me than a blocking high off Norway or Sweden.

Head says we will get a few days of snow, here and there, in Feburary, courtesy of a Northerly airflow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I reckon a Deep Freeze from the East around Christmas, mild until around December 18th though ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

some snow between St. Stephens Day and New Years Day, it nearly always snows during that week!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

My unscientific guess is that it will produce a few mild storms from the Atlantic to batten down the hatches, a few days of cold snaps with frosty nights in between from the East but mostly unsettled damp conditions overall with plenty of downpours will prevail. :)

I'll put my foot in it now and declare that there won't be any sticky snow more than an inch thick from a line south of Dublin bar the mountains :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

gurramok wrote: »
    I'll put my foot in it now and declare that there won't be any sticky snow more than an inch thick from a line south of Dublin bar the mountains :D

As long as that includes land in Wicklow > 150 meters up then no complaints here :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

There will be some snowfall on Jan 5th, east coast only, Jan 6th we all get some. That will be the last snow of 2008.

Other than the usual high ground etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Pity more people didn't post in this thread, eh? So with April 1st just upon us, can we call it "winter is over"???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

ch750536 wrote: »
    There will be some snowfall on Jan 5th, east coast only
    So close, Jan 3rd.:)
    Looking to you next year for your snow predictions;)

In the meantime, any chance of the lotto numbers:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very close indeed, only 2 days out and indeed we didnt get any more snow after that (at least here anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Yeah well done Ch, very close, although it did snow here on the 4th!!. Didn't see this thread Danno or else I would have hazarded a guess. I love having a guess at these type of things, because it is almost guaranteed that the complete opposite outcome will occur. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

gurramok wrote: »
    My unscientific guess is that it will produce a few mild storms from the Atlantic to batten down the hatches, a few days of cold snaps with frosty nights in between from the East but mostly unsettled damp conditions overall with plenty of downpours will prevail. :)

Proud of my no sticky snow in Dublin prediction (lets ignore the line part :D)

Advertisement