Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ISSF World Championships

• 12-11-2007 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Apologies if I'm late to this but i just saw this on the ICPSA website.

http://www.icpsa.ie/Disciplines/ISSF_HPP/OTFinalDay-2.html

Philip Murphy won the silver medal at the world championships and the team won the bronze medal. Is it my imagination or did the Irish shooting world miss this one? I can't think of anyone in Irish shooting ever winning a silver in Olympic shooting at a world championships.

I'm sick to my back teeth listening to the radio and reading the newspapers about "Top Class Irish Athletes" finishing 16th, 20th and last and how wonderful their performance was. Here we have a true world class shooter who as far as I can see isn't even known within his own shooting community! I would also include Derek Burnett here as I see he also was on that team and won a silver medal in maribor at a world cup also.

Whatever the ICPSA are doing, they are doing it well and fair play to them. Its a pity they can't get the publicity that this deserves and where is the sports council and the olympic council on all this? if shooting is delivering the goods why am I not seeing these guys on the late late show etc. Sure if Jessica Kurten can get headlines by losing a few placings in the world rankings or having a knicker fit at an RTE reporter, surely shooting can get a column inch in one of the news rags?

Lads we are losing the plot here if we can't capitalise on these performances, imagine if the guys do the business at the Olympics and win a medal, do you think anyone will take notice? It pains me to think they won't!

Apologoes, but I'm a little disilussioned to have read this and if it were not for the ICPSA website, i would never have known.

TJ

Comments

Its a great achievment - fantastic result for Irish Shooting.

However I am also very suprised that it wasn't posted here before, we are very quick to bitch, moan and rant but there are very few comments posted when results, and victory, is posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I thought it was posted here at the time. I certainly knew about it and seem to recall a bit of discussion about it. Mike Diamond from Australia won the competition and gained a quota place for Beijing in so doing. It just shows how difficult it is to get a quota place in that you have to win a World Championship!

I've a feeling Derek Burnett came close to winning something more recently as well.

And yes. These boys are world class and get absolutely no coverage in the mainstream press. :mad:

Heres the link to the results for the World Championships in Cyprus:

Final Results Trap Men

Also from the World Cup in Slovenia in June. Derek Burnett placed second:

Final Results

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

TJ
    It is not so often we get a chance to discuss bringing home the bacon from a World Championship. Always good to get hard won accomplishments back on the top line again. ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055146843&highlight=Philip+Murphy%2C+ISSF+World+Championships

It's nice to be right :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Thought I'd seen it in here alright. Thing is, we don't seem to have too many clay pigeon shooters in here. Which surprises me given the relative sizes of the communities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭TrapperJohn

Thanks for pointing me to that thread I missed it at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 pull!the other

Whether we like it or not, the media just do not find shooting sports "sexy". The ICPSA posted a piece on their web site today http://www.icpsa.ie/Disciplines/ISSF_HPP/Someacknowledgement.html about the Chef de Mission of the Ireland Olympic Team and his recognition of clay pigeon shootings achievements during the year in an RTE interview.
    :(It is just a pity that RTE edited that quote from the news last night as then it would have reached a far bigger audience than it will ever reach on their web site.
    Like it or not, shooting will have to perform twice as good as other sports to get half the recognition...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭TrapperJohn

Like it or not, shooting will have to perform twice as good as other sports to get half the recognition...

I just wonder about the fuss that was made of the boxers in Chicago where young Barnes qualified for Beijing by getting into the last sixteen, even through four others were supposed to do the business and young barnes wasnt even considered a runner. Lots of coverage, tv, radio press, the full monty.

No disprect to Boxing but I'd love to balance that achievement with shooting which was the "first" to qualify anyone from Ireland for Beijing, and that was Derek Burnett back in 2006 if I'm correct.

I have to be very critical of sports journalisim in Ireland, with the olympic council saying it was only clay pigeon shooting which won anything at a world level in 2007 and as far as I can see not a column inch was ever written about it.

Is it lazy journalisim or just incompetant journalisim?

I have to be very critical of sports journalisim in Ireland, with the olympic council saying it was only clay pigeon shooting which won anything at a world level in 2007 and as far as I can see not a column inch was ever written about it.

Is it lazy journalisim or just incompetant journalisim?

I'd have to say lazy plus the sad fact that internationally shooting gets very little recognition either. If stuff isn't coming off the wires or on the front page of sports websites, then it gets the same treatment in the mainstream press.

Nobody's prepared to do any digging beyond the headlines any more :mad:

• Advertisement

Derek Burnett and Philip Murphy are back in the limelight again with the Irish Sports Council http://www.irishsportscouncil.ie/pressandpub-news-latest-article.aspx?article=acc73d1c-0aff-4018-ba92-196a60931da6 because of their performances during the year.
    We should be grateful for any recognition in the media for shooting I suppose but the kicker is the fact that the ISC is funding one part of clay shooting (Olympic Trap) through the ICPSA High Performance but ignoring the ICPSA itself as a Association.

We should be grateful for any recognition in the media for shooting I suppose but the kicker is the fact that the ISC is funding one part of clay shooting (Olympic Trap) through the ICPSA High Performance but ignoring the ICPSA itself as a Association.
    The ISC have very little money at their disposal to allocate to sports. €50 million was the last figure I heard, and when you take into account all the sports that are looking for money, the infrastructural needs of the ISC itself, coaching costs, carding costs and general administrative costs, that sum of money doesn't go very far.

Unfortunately the result is that the ISC has to concentrate its efforts on sports that provide a return in the form of results at international level.

And unless I am mistaken an individual Silver Medal and Team Bronze at a World Championships in an Olympic discipline not to mention an individual Silver at an ISSF World Cup IS producing International results.
    I think clay pigeon shooting produced the first quota places for Ireland for both Athens and Beijing.
    Philip Murphy is ranked NUMBER 2 IN THE WORLD and Derek Burnett has slipped from number 5 earlier in the year to number 11 IN THE WORLD in an Olympic sport!
    The Athletic Association of Ireland got €1.1m in 2007 to run their show, Swim Ireland got €591000, tennis €433000, cricket got €290000, canoe union got €270000+ and even surfers got €60000+.
    And what did the shooting organisations get?
    SSAI got nearly €34000 and the ICPSA got a big fat ZERO.
    Who is codding who?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

Then why arent the irish sports council seeing this. This is sh*^%e. Do they only support the media friendly events? I watched the ISSF pistol championships on the ISSF TV website and was very imperssed by the coverage. Maybe I am biased because I like shooting, but even dressage gets tv air time. Whats wrong with our sport? i.e shooting disciplines :confused:

And unless I am mistaken an individual Silver Medal and Team Bronze at a World Championships in an Olympic discipline not to mention an individual Silver at an ISSF World Cup IS producing International results.
    I think clay pigeon shooting produced the first quota places for Ireland for both Athens and Beijing.
    Philip Murphy is ranked NUMBER 2 IN THE WORLD and Derek Burnett has slipped from number 5 earlier in the year to number 11 IN THE WORLD in an Olympic sport!
    The Athletic Association of Ireland got €1.1m in 2007 to run their show, Swim Ireland got €591000, tennis €433000, cricket got €290000, canoe union got €270000+ and even surfers got €60000+.
    And what did the shooting organisations get?
    SSAI got nearly €34000 and the ICPSA got a big fat ZERO.
    Who is codding who?

Two individual shooters from the ICPSA got carding grants totalling €32,000 and Derek and Philip got bonus payments of €5000 and €10000 respectively. Did the ICPSA actually apply for a core grant? I note that there was no core grant allocation in 2005 either, I couldn't find figures for 2006, but the ICPSA also got €120,000 for their high performance programme in 2007.

A bit more than zero then.

Kryten wrote: »
    but even dressage gets tv air time.

Equestrian sports are huge in Ireland - I know quite a few local papers will publish shooting events if they are informed of results (or get the reporter to go to the event).

rrpc wrote: »
    Two individual shooters from the ICPSA got carding grants totalling €32,000 and Derek and Philip got bonus payments of €5000 and €10000 respectively. Did the ICPSA actually apply for a core grant? I note that there was no core grant allocation in 2005 either, I couldn't find figures for 2006, but the ICPSA also got €120,000 for their high performance programme in 2007.

A bit more than zero then.

The ISC site says the ICPSA got €15000 core funding in 2006 http://www.irishsportscouncil.ie/news-article.aspx?article=6668e993-2638-4a60-a06a-24b3256cf8f7 but the ICPSA accounts showed that they got nothing?
    I may be wrong but the figures on the ISC site are the allocations for the running of the sport and not the figures for programmes or individuals.
    The funding for Derek, Philip and the lads is great but let us not forget it is earned and it is deserved.
    So the ICPSA as an association did get zero funding...

The ISC site says the ICPSA got €15000 core funding in 2006 http://www.irishsportscouncil.ie/news-article.aspx?article=6668e993-2638-4a60-a06a-24b3256cf8f7 but the ICPSA accounts showed that they got nothing?
    I may be wrong but the figures on the ISC site are the allocations for the running of the sport and not the figures for programmes or individuals.
    The funding for Derek, Philip and the lads is great but let us not forget it is earned and it is deserved.
    So the ICPSA as an association did get zero funding...

No, I realise that and referred to core funding as opposed to high performance and carding which are separate. I've no idea why the ICPSA accounts don't show the funding, perhaps it hadn't been drawn down?

The core funding applications are made about this time of the year, so now's the time to get an application in if it's at all possible.

Advertisement