Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New HTPC/Work/Gaming Pc build questions

Options
  • 12-11-2007 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭

At the moment I have a pc with about 3/4 Harddrives full of movies,tv shows and music and I use it mostly for watching media and coverting to xvid etc aswell as work stuff and HD satellite viewing. Anyways I want a better processor so want to build a new pc. Im going to use the pc for the odd bit of gaming down the line but have decided to leave the graphics card out for a while. Want to have the ability to add more harddrives down the line and maybe overclock at some stage.

At the moment the parts I have are (from a german site)

Netzteil ATX Corsair HX520W
    79,07 € 79,07 €

Kit 2x1024MB Corsair DDR2 800MHz PC2-6400 CL5 TWIN2X2048-64
    53,08 € 53,08 €

500GB Samsung HD501LJ 7200rpm sATA II 16MB (have 3 already)
    82,26 € 82,26 €

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R S775 (P/S/SATAII/GBL/R/DDRII)*
    88,88 € 88,88 €

ATX Midi Antec P182 gun metal black (ohne Netzteil)
    112,99 € 112,99 €

Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme Heatsink
    45,12 € 45,12 €

Pioneer DVR-212BK SATA B. BLK
    37,82 € 37,82 €

SATA-Kabel, 70cm
    3,97 € 11,91 €

Have an 8500gt

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2400MHz S775 8MB 95W Box

Vista 32bit Home Premium

*Havent a clue which motherboard to get tbh, I just want one that has spdif optical out and as many sata connections as possible. Is the motherboard above ok for what i want? or can anyone suggest a different one.............I dont care about wifi.

How many and what brand fans should I get?

And what other small minor things am I forgetting?

Any help would be great

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Mobo's fine, should suit your needs & the sound from those Realtek onboard audio is pretty good although X-Fi would be better as your usin it as a htpc.. Should also have enough Sata ports for u also.

U considered goin 4 a ddr2 x38 mobo to futureproof seen as your goin for a quad, would oc better with a penryn if ya upgrade again next yr.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

x38 seem a bit too expensive atm and this should keep me going for a good while anyways. Any motherboard surround sound will be grand (handier than usb suround sound I have atm)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Go for the CL4 RAM, it's only about a tenner more expensive on HWV. Anti has mentioned on another thread about cooling issues with the P182, dunno if thats true maybe he'll reply here - also presumign your existing HDDS have them don't bother with SATA cables, your mobo will come with a few (mine had 4).

If you've loads of HDDs and intend adding large GFX cards along the 8800 line later I can only reccommend the Armor case-wise, massive amounts of space (as long as that's not an issue externally). Bit noisy at night but nicely priced.

Advertisement