Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books you're most looking forward to reading??

Options
  • 13-11-2007 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

I know there's threads about what people are reading and have to read before they die, but what book(s) are you most looking forward to reading? I tend to buy books quicker than I can get through them at times, so I've about 40 books on my shelves that I've yet to read. Mine would be Moon Palace & Mr. Vertigo by paul Auster, cos I've read and loved eveything else he's written and Don Quixote, cos the bits i've dipped into have been good & it'd be the biggest book i've read when i do get round to it. I mean something that you'll be reading for the first time, maybe something you want to save for when you have the time to properly devote to it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭CraggyIslander

there's bout 30 in my 'to read pile' couple philip k dick ones (gotta love him!), couple Kurt Vonnegut ones and 2 of the 3 lovecraft omnibi (omnibuses?). Additionally some easy to read (yet pageturners) Elmore Leonard crime ones, and the one that will probably still be in my 'to read pile' years from now: 'crime and punishment'

The one I'm looking most forward to reading tho is: 'last chance to see' co-written by none other than Douglas Adams... right after I finish 4th or 5th installment in anne rices vampire chronicles....... memnoch the devil

Forgot brave new world, snow crash and enders game..... a slight sci-fi bias, but relatively mixed bunch I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

The Discworld graphic versions, along wth Death's domain, Streets of Anhk Morpork etc.

Neuromancer by Gibson

The man in the High Castle (might have gotten the title wrong there) by Philip K Dick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Celine - Journey to the end of the night (on the way)
    Kafka's - novels
    The War against civilization - R Fisk (read 300 pages , needed some fiction bad)
    Court of the red Tzar - Stalin - Simon Montefiore as above

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

The new Kate Mosse Book - i think its called sepulchre
    The Thorn Birds - Coleen McCullough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Get cracking will you?! It's the best book EVER written!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Dudess wrote: »
    So I've heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

no guys you're wrong that would be Crime and Punishment. I liked the crime part but not the punishment...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Scar Tissue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

Margaret Atwood - Oryx and Crake, got it on a friends reccomendation and it sounds very good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Nabokov - 'Pale fire' , I just can't get enough of his prose.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brethitmanhart

My username might give it away anyway but
    Bret Hart's autobiography "Hitman" My real life in the cartoon world of Wrestling.
    Out in canada, in UK and Ireland next summer, Going to get one from canada because I can't wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

buck65 wrote: »
    The War against civilization - R Fisk (read 300 pages , needed some fiction bad)

I've done things a bit in reverse, and can't wait to read Pity The Nation.
    The War against Civilization is an amazing read though, amazingly thorough and vivid.

Also can't wait to start reading Hemmingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls, but am waiting for an appropriate time when I won't be hurrying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Ho-Hum wrote: »
    Margaret Atwood - Oryx and Crake, got it on a friends reccomendation and it sounds very good
    Incredible book. Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

Hmm... the only book in my pile is a Jodi Picoult book recommended to me which I'm not too keen on... Although, that friend introduced me to the Time Taveller's Wife and White Oleander so it gets more than the benefit of the doubt!

Trip to the bookshop as soon as Waterstones bring back their christmas 3 for 2 deal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

InFront wrote: »
    I've done things a bit in reverse, and can't wait to read Pity The Nation.
    The War against Civilization is an amazing read though, amazingly thorough and vivid.

I've been planning on reading The War against Civilization. Does is matter if havent read Pity The Nation or are the two books even related?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Workin in a library is dangerous for this - I have a massive pile of books to read, Camus - the Plague, few Martin Amis, some Norman Mailer, new Naomi Klein, have to finish Ulysses as well. Keep reading a bit and getting distracted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Dudess wrote: »

I disagree.

On topic, I'm looking forward to reading Metamaths, and the great transformation. Can't remember who wrote the first one, the second one is by Karen Armstrong afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I think 1984 is overrated, very good but not that good.

Really looking forward to reading Dostoyevsky's "Notes from Underground".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Idd, 1984 is so overrated.

Looking forward to Gene Wolfe's Fifth Head Of Cerberus which I still haven't picked up yet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement