Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Bravia - Extended Warranty

Options
  • 13-11-2007 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,

I bought a Sony Bravia KDL-32P3000 from Komplett.ie last month - link here

The TV comes with a one years manufacturer warranty, but I am looking at buying an extended warranty for added peace of mind. Komplett.ie do not offer extended warranties, and I havent been able to find anything useful on the Sony Ireland site.

Do anyone know where I can get extended warranties for this TV in Ireland (Domestic & General only seem to offer extended warranties in the UK)?

Or do Sony offer extended warranties for this product?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

That's a very short warranty for something like a telly, is that the norm now?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,908 ✭✭✭✭Basq

dahamsta wrote:
    That's a very short warranty for something like a telly, is that the norm now?
    One year manufacturer's warranty is standard.

Can't really help you OP.. i bought a 5 year extended warranty for my TV in Curry's (but that's where i bought the TV so it was offered).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

basquille wrote: »
    One year manufacturer's warranty is standard.
    They might be now, but they weren't up until recently. I went shopping for a telly last year or the year before, and they were all 3yr.

1yr is absolutely ridiculous for something like a television. Talk about not having any faith in your product.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I suppose that you could call into a Sony Centre or contact them via email to see if there are other options available to you.

Personally, one year is a short warranty time for something like a TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭brian_rbk

Try asking a tv repair shop if they could offer you an extended warranty. There are plenty in the golden pages. I heard of this being done before. I would expect to pay in the region of €200-€300 for a 3 yr warranty on a sony tv

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

There was a free accidental damage upgrade when I bought my Bravia last year if i registered. I did and got a letter back from sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jeepster_ie

i registered the tv yesterday, and am waiting for the letter from Sony. So if some offer comes with that, great. If not, then I will chance it without the extended warranty...I cant really justify spending a quarter of the price of the TV again.

This begs another question though, why is there no extended warranty cover in Ireland like Domestic & General.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

brian_rbk wrote: »
    Try asking a tv repair shop if they could offer you an extended warranty. There are plenty in the golden pages. I heard of this being done before. I would expect to pay in the region of €200-€300 for a 3 yr warranty on a sony tv

Hang on a sec, why would you need an extended warranty? If the tv breaks after 18 months, you're still covered under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, no?

Qouted from the sticky:
    When goods are bought the 'consumer' has a contract with the seller. Under this contract the consumer has a legal right to expect that the goods will be of merchantable quality. This means that the goods should be of reasonable quality taking into account what is said about them (advertising), what they are supposed to do, their durability and their price. Goods must also be fit for their purpose: in short they must do what they are sold as being capable of doing, and they must also be as described.

Surely you are entitled to expect a tv to be more durable than 12 months! I would expect a tv to work without fault for at least 4-5 years, jeez the one I have is going for more than 20 at this stage.
    I think this extended warranty is a total scam...

Advertisement