Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Connection Problem

Options
  • 13-11-2007 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I've tried looking for a similar thread but to no avail. Then again I am new here so am still finding my way.

My problem is, that my desktop won't connect to the internet through direct connection whereas my laptop will, with the same cable to the same socket. My ISP is called Magnet Entertainment and they are using fibre optic cable so I think the cable that I use is completely different to Eircom. I believe it is a DSL cable. Is that the same as a network cable? It says 'CAT.5e Patch Cable' on it amongst other things. The cable gets connected to the network port in the back of the laptop/computer as it's too big for the phone port. A message comes up on my laptop saying 'Local Area Connection, Speed: 100.0Mbps, Status: Connected'. I can then browse to my hearts content. Excellant. This message also appears when I connect the same cable to the desktop but internet explorer isn't happy about this and won't let me surf. Very annoying. When I unplug the cable from either a message says 'Local Area Connection, A network cable is unplugged'

I've tried matching the settings on both but still no joy. The desktop is a 3ish year old dell. The laptop is a Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook P1510. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Show me the light
    Mr. Skidoodles.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Make sure the laptop is getting an IP address by DHCP so it gets the settings it needs from Magnet's router/modem.

Open the Control Panel, Network and Internet Connections, click on Network Connections, right click the connection you use [probably called Local Area Network] and choose 'Properties'. Double click 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' and set it to get an IP by DHCP and the same for DNS servers. Now try browsing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mr. Skidoodles

Thank you kindly indeed. It was the IP address set to something or other, so I set it to look automatically and that worked. All that trouble cause of a little button hidden away so I couldn't find it. So what does DHCP stand for or what is it. I didn't see it on any of the dialog boxes. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Thank you kindly indeed. It was the IP address set to something or other, so I set it to look automatically and that worked. All that trouble cause of a little button hidden away so I couldn't find it. So what does DHCP stand for or what is it. I didn't see it on any of the dialog boxes. Thanks again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_Configuration_Protocol

Advertisement