Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spam

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

sceptre wrote: »
    The ability to email the entire allstudents list has been withdrawn as of today (obviously a good thing, kudos to Gordon Young if this is the first step in sorting the problem).

Well, in one sense yes it is a good thing; but it'll prove not to be unless it's backed up by the withdrawal of 'Students of Module XXXX' bar for lecturers/TAs/course directors of that module. Otherwise, spam will actually just increase as those with access to 'Students of Module XXXX' will merely send by this method: as has been done...already!

Would it not be possible to create a 'Lost and Found' folder under public folders and allow reception to update that?

Or give students goddamn access to the staff noticeboards! We're not vermin!

Or create student noticeboards (of course staff will have access to those :P)

Also, something HAS to be done with the number of emails that final year students receive from the Co-op and Careers Division and from the Graduate School re: employment opportunities, fairs, stands, shows, galas, talks, seminars, presentations, et cetera et cetera.

Firstly, I can be wry and say that as a HPSS student most/all of these don't apply to me (;)).

But seriously...most of the time these emails will only apply to a section of the group that receives them. For example, emails were sent out recently regarding funding opportunities for research postgrads in the humanities: I'm sure all the engineers were grateful to receive those emails (there were about 3 or 4 in total...a couple of 'reminder' emails included). Similarly, they've now moved on to telling us all about engineering postgrad funding. There has to be some sort of system that could be put in place. These probably aren't 'spam' per se, as I suppose as a final year student one is expected to take an interest in one's future...but....

Please stop filling my inbox with tripe!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I know this has been suggested before but a policy of everybody that doesnt want spam simply replying to it and saying please dont send me mail like this or something similar would help the situation (and they wouldnt be able to send anymore spam until they had cleared their inbox of all the replies!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Why bother generating this amount of pointless email.....it'd help in the short term but tbh it's a pretty stupid way of dealing with the problem (not saying you're stupid btw). I still feel that the solution to this whole thing is pretty simple and just requires a small bit of effort on some peoples behalf.

Clearly removing the ability to email all students from all but a select few people is a step in the right direction. I see from reading the above that idiocy has reached new heights among certain people since I've left....what kind of tart would spend the time to select the Students of Module XXXXXX lists and use them to send mail. Aside from the pointless amount of extra traffic this generates on the network it clearly would be an annoyance for everyone.

Opening the staff mailing lists to students and creating a message board/news portal of some type possibly using Sharepoint or something similar would go a long way to solving this problem.

bluedolphin may I ask why it's unlikely for a staff member to be pulled up on a breach of the ITD code of conduct for email? I'd expect this to be applied to everyone be they staff or student it's kind've pointless if there one rule for some and another for everyone else and I'd have no hesitation in pointing this out to ITD or anyone else in charge in UL

rmacm wrote: »
    bluedolphin may I ask why it's unlikely for a staff member to be pulled up on a breach of the ITD code of conduct for email? I'd expect this to be applied to everyone be they staff or student it's kind've pointless if there one rule for some and another for everyone else and I'd have no hesitation in pointing this out to ITD or anyone else in charge in UL

Ah pulled up on, yes...but a light smack on the hand, haha, wink, pesky students kind of job. Not an appearance before Disciplinary Committee like anyone else who breaches the Code of Conduct.

Actually, can staff be brought before DC? Sceptre maybe you'd know...?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

321096.jpg

Victory is mine!!!!

A big thank you to Gordon!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Actually, can staff be brought before DC? Sceptre maybe you'd know...?
    The main code of conduct applies only to students so no. Staff would be covered by their own contract and other things (including the ITD code of conduct) and I've never seen a staff contract. Still a 'no' to your question.

ninty9er wrote: »

Victory is mine!!!!

A big thank you to Gordon!!!

Would you mind elaborating out of curiosity?
    The main code of conduct applies only to students so no. Staff would be covered by their own contract and other things (including the ITD code of conduct) and I've never seen a staff contract. Still a 'no' to your question.

I presume you're referring to the student code of conduct? From what I understand the ITD code of conduct applies to everyone staff or student who avails of ITD computing resources so logically enough if they breach this code shouldn't they be subject to any sanctions stipulated in it?

Cheers
    Rory

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    The ability to email the entire allstudents list has been withdrawn as of today (obviously a good thing, kudos to Gordon Young if this is the first step in sorting the problem).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

rmacm wrote: »
    I presume you're referring to the student code of conduct?
    Yes. The main (or student) code of conduct is the thing that people get dragged in front of DC (discipline committee) for and that only applies to students.

I've had to report 3 students for spam this afternoon....on of who kindly got back to me with "oh calm down"

Fu<king cnuts!!

• Advertisement

Calm down, Daly!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Calm down, Daly!

;)

scousers.jpg

klong wrote: »
    scousers.jpg

Doubt they'd know how to use a computer...anyhow shouldn't the jerseys say Tennents rather than Carlsberg :D

I got no spam today. Something from the careers office and something from a lecturer is all:confused:

cooperguy wrote: »
    I got no spam today. Something from the careers office and something from a lecturer is all:confused:

Between today and yesterday I got at least 3/4 spammy-type emails from students advertising rooms in houses for next semester and Christmas ball tickets; that kinda mullarky; each 1MB because of the senders' decisions to go through the global address book and select all. :eek: Ahh, good ol' spam in the classic sense. :p

Between today and yesterday I got at least 3/4 spammy-type emails from students advertising rooms in houses for next semester and Christmas ball tickets; that kinda mullarky; each 1MB because of the senders' decisions to go through the global address book and select all. :eek: Ahh, good ol' spam in the classic sense. :p
    Ok now im wondering why I dont get these anymore do the spammers not like me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

God damn spam alright, the same stupid messages, blah blah blah etc...
    If people want to advertise a spare room use the f&*king notice board!!

God dammnit and ****e I'm pretty **** faced at the moment and I apologise to kaimera and sceptre for ****ting all over a thread but ffs why don't ITD set up some poxy ****ing bulletin board where people can advertise rooms for rent etc and remove the ability for people to mass mail the entire college from all but a hand full or people. If anyone wants to give me an electric cattle prod and the names of people who spammed you I'll be down in Limerick sometime in late January and I can wreak vengeance on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

/me goes and emails all students on the thread with crap

• Registered Users Posts: 17,587 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

When I was on coop in the ITD, I set up a forum here (im surprised it hasn't been taken down yet). I was there a few years ago when the spam problem first occured, e.g. people getting 60 messages a day, etc, and the boss told me to research a way of getting around it, so I built that forum. He pretty much ignored it and went ahead with the crappy mailing list system that's in place which didn't really do much at all.

ITD are well capable of sorting out these problems. Don't ask me why they won't.

• Advertisement

When I was on coop in the ITD, I set up a forum here (im surprised it hasn't been taken down yet). I was there a few years ago when the spam problem first occured, e.g. people getting 60 messages a day, etc, and the boss told me to research a way of getting around it, so I built that forum. He pretty much ignored it and went ahead with the crappy mailing list system that's in place which didn't really do much at all.

ITD are well capable of sorting out these problems. Don't ask me why they won't.

Good idea.....you'll get a pint if I ever meet you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

You can just set up rules in outlook so that emails to mailing lists get put in special folders.
    Otherwise you'll end up losing important messages in all the junk.

pwd wrote: »
    You can just set up rules in outlook so that emails to mailing lists get put in special folders.
    Otherwise you'll end up losing important messages in all the junk.

Yeah ya can, but then ITD will start telling you that your outlook is full or over its limit, blah blah blah etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Ah I don't think I have a limit (I'm a postgrad).
    Maybe they should just increase the limit for undergrads. Storage is dirt cheap these days and it would be easier to effect than a cultural change.
    Would it be funny to spam the opinions mailiing list with complaints about people spamming mailing lists?

Maybe they should just increase the limit for undergrads. Storage is dirt cheap these days and it would be easier to effect than a cultural change.
    Would it be funny to spam the opinions mailiing list with complaints about people spamming mailing lists?

Upping the limit would be a good idea, but they are so stupid that they probably couldnt do it!!

Regardless, I still wouldn't want their SH!T.

Not a bad suggestion ,but it's totally unrelated to the spam one. Incidentally who else got the email 17MB from <snip> last week selling a 97 Corsa FFS. I couldn't even open it because it was almost twice the limit on its own.

Yes I am aware I posted an email address on the net and did so purposely in the hope it might be harvested so hopefully the b1tch will get spam from every "*****GENUINE ROLEX*******" and "########Having issues with the ladies...we have the solution to all your problems#######" w4nker out there

ninty9er wrote: »
    Not a bad suggestion ,but it's totally unrelated to the spam one. Incidentally who else got the email 17MB...last week selling a 97 Corsa FFS. I couldn't even open it because it was almost twice the limit on its own.

Dear Karen got a frightfully polite email from me re: same. Fcuking twat! Seriously, who the hell puts an image into an email and sends it to 'All Students'. I swear to God (yes, that's the Limerick coming out in me) I nearly exploded when I saw it. Muppet. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Ah lads this is beyond diriculous. A 1997 Opel Corsa..... did I sign up to fooking Autotrader when I was enrolling at the start of the year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

The worst thing is that, I usually get so much that it sends me over the 10MB limit. And then, oh look, i can't send an email (Wouldn't want to be doing an FYP, would ya). Its deal with the spam or don't use your student account.

Also, the amount of time that the email is down is absolutely insane. Its down as much as its up.

• Advertisement

cson wrote: »
    Ah lads this is beyond diriculous. A 1997 Opel Corsa..... did I sign up to fooking Autotrader when I was enrolling at the start of the year?
    Or daft.ie

. sent me a lovely email saying he doesn't really care what I think which I then forwarded to Gordon Young.

Advertisement