Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Ever XI from your team

• 13-11-2007 2:23am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

What it says on the tin.
    whats the best ever XI for the team u support. players can be from any era.
    Im Liverpool so Ill go first:

Bruce Grobbelaar

Phil Neal---Alan Hansen--Jamie Carragher---Mark Lawrenson----

----Ronnie Whelan--Graeme Souness(c)--Steven Gerrard--John Barnes----

Kenny Dalglish

Ian Rush

tbh, an easy enough team to pick. Lawro was technically a CB but he could play as a full back aswell, hes the dodgy inclusion i reckon. Hansen would love to play with carra i think so we will let him have it :p Phil Neal was always a stalwart.
    I definately think that Whelan and Barnes were the 2 best wingers we had. i know ronnie dropped to centre (and replaced molby in the process) for some time, but i just think he was a better footballer then Heighway, same with Barnes (barnes has to be there for half time raps :p )
    Gerrard and Souness would be an animal partnership. i dont think i have to expand on that. plus graeme would slap G-Unit about if he opened his gob and blurts out his usual genius, as souness is the captain.
    front 2 pick themselves.
    im sure there will be variations on my team there. but to me thats the most complete side.

cant wait to see a Utd one or an arsenal one. i presume chelski will just pick their 2004 side? :p
    a spurs one would be good too, Linekar and teddy up top :o

and of course, a real madrid one would be just silly ^^

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Can only go by players Ive seen

Michael Devine

Neal Horgan--Dan Murray--Declan Daly-- Danny Murphy

Kevin Doyle--Davy Barry--George O'Callaghan--Ollie Cahill

Pat Morley
    John O'Flynn

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Id have to have Keegan in the Liverpool team somewhere, play 4-3-3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Id have to have Keegan in the Liverpool team somewhere, play 4-3-3

Yeah, me too. Keegan and Dalglish together would be an animal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Man United:

................Schmeichel

Neville.....Stam.......Vidic....Irwin

Best.......Keane.....Edwards...Giggs

................Law...van Nistlerooy

Toughie to be honest. Very hard not to pick Charlton or Cantona in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Toughie but here goes -

Manchester City

Bert Trautmann

Tony Book
    Roy Clarke
    Richard Dunne

Mike Summerbee----Colin Bell---Georgi Kinkladze----Alan Oakes----Paul Lake

Francis Lee
    Niall Quinn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Tauren wrote: »
    Man United:

Neville.....Stam.......Vidic....Irwin

I find it extraordinary to believe that Vidic would be one of the top two CBs for Utd of all time?!?!?!?! He has has one good year there, surely he has more to prove?!

IMO, Vidic has been absolutely fantastic, and based on ability alone, is one of the best CBs i have seen at United (granted there have not been many...Bruce, Pallister, Stam, Johnsen, Rio would be the main ones in my time)

Bruce and Pallister were fantastic for us, but i don't think either of them is better then Vidic when you just look at ability - he is as good in the air as both, a superb tackler and faster on the ground. Rio is fantastic as well (imo) but Vidic is the better pure blood and guts defender.

Ask people who have been actively watching United for a lot longer and i am sure you would find the team would be quite different, but i can only go by what i ahve actively seen. Edwards and Best make it in from the older generations as I have seen a good bit of both (highlights obviously) and there is a certain sentimentality to it as well, especially regarding Edwards; as he could have been truly fantastic, but his exceptionally promising career was cruelly cut short.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Pallister? Bruce?
    i think it would be criminal to pick Vidic over either of these, hes only won 1 medal (is it?) at Old Trafford whereas Bruce was a stalwart for Ferguson. If asked I think fergie's favorite Utd. side would be the double winning one from 94 - Schmiechel, Bruce, Irwin, Pallister, Cantona, Robson,Keane, McClair, Hughes. All 'men', tough, uncomprimising footballers with a mindset just like that of alex.
    thats just my opinion tho

Jazzy wrote: »
    Pallister? Bruce?

I don't think either would look as good in todays game, which is a lot faster. Bruce in particular would get a bit found out imo. They were both brilliant for United, i'm not saying anything else, but i think Vidic is a better footballer then either.

especially regarding Edwards; as he could have been truly fantastic, but his exceptionally promising career was cruelly cut short.

Now see I don't get this whole Edwards thing. Yeah fine the guy had potential but he never got to fulfill it (obviously due to horrible circumstances). But who's to say he would have been great? It's a big 'if' and I certainly wouldn't put him ahead of Bobby Charlton. A guy who played a couple of seasons over one of United's greatest ever servants? Gimme a break.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Now see I don't get this whole Edwards thing. Yeah fine the guy had potential but he never got to fulfill it (obviously due to horrible circumstances). But who's to say he would have been great? It's a big 'if' and I certainly wouldn't put him ahead of Bobby Charlton. A guy who played a couple of seasons over one of United's greatest ever servants? Gimme a break.

I know people who knew Edwards. I know people who watched him play every week. They say the guy was amazing. Big, strong, fast, comfortable on the ball, thumping shot, good in the air, good passer, they say he had it all. From what i have heard, and the bits I have seen, he was an amazing footballer.

Anyway, its only MY opinion on a FICTIONAL team line-up. "Gimme a break"? Get over it, jeez.

Anyway, its only MY opinion on a FICTIONAL team line-up. "Gimme a break"? Get over it, jeez.

Apologies it wasn't meant to sound like I was having a go at your opinion. I'm more baffled by the opinion of United fans in general towards Edwards. Fair enough he was good and COULD have been a great but Charlton IS a great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Apologies it wasn't meant to sound like I was having a go at your opinion. I'm more baffled by the opinion of United fans in general towards Edwards. Fair enough he was good and COULD have been a great but Charlton IS a great.
    He was great tthough. Charlton said he wasn't fit to lace Edwards boots. Busby said he was the greatest player in the world. I'd be pretty confident those two knew what they were talking about.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

David Seaman; Eddie Hapgood, Tony Adams, Frank McLintock, George Male; Cliff Bastin, Liam Brady, Patrick Vieira, Robert Pires; Dennis Bergkamp, Thierry Henry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭wardie

Very tough, so many players left out..

Seaman

O Leary
    Adams
    Winterburn

Rocastle
    Brady
    fabregas
    viera
    Bastin

Bergkamp
    Henry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Only going on players I've seen as would be silly to do otherwise so this would be 1996-present

1 . John O'Hara
    2. Ryan Cross 5 . Liam Burns 6 Wes Charles 3. Kupono Low

7. Johnny Kenny 4. Chris Turner 8. Steve Birks 11. Aled Rowlands

9. Padraig Moran 10. Fahrudin "Faz" Kudozovic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭kev_s88

If asked I think fergie's favorite Utd. side would be the double winning one from 94 .

if you look at what fergie has been sayin lately you'll see that he rates his current team as the best he's ever had....

for me it is:

Schmeichel

Neville, Stam, Ferdinand, Irwin

Best, Charlton, Keane, Giggs

Law, Cantona

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Milan XI

.......................................Galli.............................................

Tassotti.................Nesta..............Baresi........................Maldini

......................................Desailly.........................................
    ..................Gattuso.................................Albertini.................

........................................Kaka..........................................
    ...................Savicevic.........................................................
    ....................................................Van Basten......................

Subs: Costacurta, Gullit, Pirlo, Shevchenko, Rikjaard

kev_s88 wrote: »
    he rates his current team as the best he's ever had....

yeah, but i said favorite, not best :p

i think van nistlerooy has to feature for Utd. sides, hes just phenomonal.
    hmmmm, a 4-3-3:

Schmeichel

-Neville--Pallister--Stam--Irwin-

Keane

Best
    Charlton----

---Law
    Cantona--
    Van Nistlerooy

that would be an unbelievable line up. i think neville and Irwin could put in the effort to make it work as well.

kev_s88 wrote: »
    if you look at what fergie has been sayin lately you'll see that he rates his current team as the best he's ever had....

No, he rates the curent SQUAD as the best he has had.

IMO, the 98/99 first team was the best we have ever had.

Best goalkeeper in the world at the time, and on of the best ever.

Great full backs, solid centre backs. Possible the best midfield 4 ever (it is, imo) and Cole and Yorke had a partnership that year that was simply unreal.

However, the strength in depth was not great. van der Gouw in goals, an inexperienced Brown for right back, centre backs were ok (Berg and May were fantastic when they played) and Neville at LB at a puch. Greening, Butt, Cryuff and Blomqvist were the midfielders. Sheringham and Ole up fron were great backups though.

The current squad is better then 99 imo, but whether the first choice 11 is, is another matter, I would say 99 was better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Clemence
    Nichol ,, Lawrenson,, Hansen ,, Hughes
    Gerrard ,,, Souness ,,, Barnes
    Keegan ,,,, Dalglish
    ,,, Rush

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Mine for Man United:

................Schmeichel

Neville.....Stiles.......Carey....Irwin

Edwards.......Keane.....Charlton...Giggs

................Law...Best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Man Utd:

Schmeichel

Neville
    Bruce
    Pallister
    Evra
    Ronaldo
    Keane
    Scholes
    Giggs

Cantona---V.Nistelrooy

Ive only selected players that Ive actually seen play hence the exclusion of Law, Charlton, Best etc. And as top class a player Denis Irwin was, I rate Evra at the top of his game to be superior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Have a read of this by someone who saw Edwards play:

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=595381

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm sure that this isn't the best team, but to be honest, I'm only gona put in players I've actually seen play.

Schmeichel
    ----Neville
    Stam----Pallister
    Irwin--
    ----Best----Keane---Edwards
    Giggs--
    Law---Van Nist

That said, I've no idea how good the defenders were back when Best Edwards and Law were playing. They could have been better for all I know.

I'm sure if we were to add the older people in there, it'd go something like this,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

wardie wrote: »
    Very tough, so many players left out..

Seaman

O Leary
    Adams
    Winterburn

Rocastle
    Brady
    fabregas
    viera
    Bastin

Bergkamp
    Henry

No Edidie McGoldrick? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

FatherTed wrote: »

People tend to be very generous towards other players, especially ones that are dead/have their careers cut short tragically. Others just dont tend to have a great opinion. I mean Pele has been lambasted on this forum a few times over his views of players. I'm not saying Edwards wasnt very good, but theres no way to knwo if he'd have been great. I mean there are people who say best wasnt a true great because he effectivly finished at 27. (obviously they are wrong but it just proves a point about peoples opinions)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

When picking these kind of teams it should be limited to those players that you've seen play, preferably keep it to players from your own lifetime. My memory goes back to about 83, so here's my United team from that era.

Schmeichel

Neville McGrath Pallister Irwin

Cantona Scholes Keane Giggs

Hughes Van Nistelrooy

PHB wrote:
    That said, I've no idea how good the defenders were back when Best Edwards and Law were playing. They could have been better for all I know.

They'd have been dirty b*stards I'd imagine! :D Best reckoned they used to kick lumps out of him.

EDIT: impossible to know how good Edwards could/would have been. As Stekelly said there's always a tendency to glorify those that get tragically killed young. It's the same with singers/musicians, they're always so much better after they're dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Again, only going on who i've seen. Early 90's would be my cut-off.

Reina

Babbel
    Carragher
    Hyypia
    Jones

McManaman
    Gerrard
    Hamman
    Barnes

Owen
    Fowler

• Advertisement

FatherTed wrote: »

I know him. Top bloke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I think it would be a more interesting thread if we only had players that we can remember playing

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I'd find that more boring to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Bonetti

Hollins
    Desailly ----Terry
    Dorigo

Makalele

---Cole
    Lampard
    Tambling

Zola

Osgood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

I'll go with players I can remember or have seen. Villa going back to early 90's

Bosnich

Barrett---'God' McGrath---Mellberg---Staunton

---Houghton
    Platt
    Barry
    Daley----

Yorke
    Atkinson

Pretty tough ones. Honourable mentions are:
    Saunders, Merson, Laursen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Mine would probably be the exact same except I'd have to find some way of fitting Ian Taylor in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Melion wrote: »
    I think it would be a more interesting thread if we only had players that we can remember playing

Exactly, in a sport where nearly everyone has a unique opinion, people are picking players on other peoples opinions :confused:

Unearthly wrote: »
    Exactly, in a sport where nearly everyone has a unique opinion, people are picking players on other peoples opinions :confused:

aye good point.
    I reckon it could be done over two threads. i spose we could post whatever "best ever XI" teams we want too instead of limiting it to the clubs u support... thats prob just cos ive been wondering about them myself :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

tdv wrote: »
    Milan XI

.......................................Galli.............................................

Tassotti.................Nesta..............Baresi........................Maldini

......................................Desailly.........................................
    ..................Gattuso.................................Albertini.................

........................................Kaka..........................................
    ...................Savicevic.........................................................
    ....................................................Van Basten......................

Subs: Costacurta, Gullit, Pirlo, Shevchenko, Rikjaard

Now theres a team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭selpher

............................Cech........................

Petrescu.....Desailly.....Gallas.....Le Saux

.........................Makelele.....................

............Wise......Lampard.....Gullit.........

......................Zola.....Hasselbaink........

Based on players I've seen play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Only going on players I've seen play...

Seaman

Dixon
    Winterburn
    Adams
    Toure

Pires
    Overmars
    Vieira
    Fabregas

Bergkamp
    Henry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Given

Solano---Woodgate--Albert---Domi

Ginola----Keegan---Gascoigne---Waddle

Beardsley

Shearer

if its players ive actively seen play then:

Grobbelaar

----Finnan
    Hyypia----Carragher----

Hamman
    Alonso

-McManaman---Gerrard
    Barnes----

Rush
    Fowler

kinaldo wrote: »

Given

Solano---Woodgate--Albert---Domi

Ginola----Keegan---Gascoigne---Waddle

Beardsley

Shearer

just kinda underlines the problems newcastle have had in defence!

selpher wrote: »
    ............................Cech........................

Petrescu.....Desailly.....Gallas.....Le Saux

.........................Makelele.....................

............Wise......Lampard.....Gullit.........

......................Zola.....Hasselbaink........

Based on players I've seen play.

controversial, no Terry but Gallas in?

Wise, hmmm.

And although I did think about it, i think prefer Drogba to jimmy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

DSB wrote: »
    Mine would probably be the exact same except I'd have to find some way of fitting Ian Taylor in.

Yes he gets an honourary mention also. I just like the way there's 3 irishmen in my team. I was going to include Andy Townsend, but then I remembered he was crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

goin on players i seen
    schmeichel

evra stam vidic g.neville

giggs keane cantona ronaldo

cole yorke

now thats an epic team with the greatest partnership in our history up front

based on players I've seen play

____________cech__________
    Bridge____ Terry ____ Desailly ____ Cole

_____________Makalele_______
    ___ Lampard ____ Gullit ____ Robben
    _____________Zola__________
    _______Drogba______________________

assuming all are fully fit and in their prime.

with honorable mentions for Duff, J Cole, Vialli, Crespo, Petrescu, Di Matteo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

liverpool
    ..........reina...........
    finnan......henchoz....hyypia......jones...
    mcmanaman.......gerrard....alonso....barnes
    .............fowler.....owen.....

subs:grobbelar,carra,bjorneby,rush

i went for players that have played together in the key positions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

growler wrote: »
    based on players I've seen play

____________cech__________
    Bridge____ Terry ____ Desailly ____ Cole

_____________Makalele_______
    ___ Lampard ____ Gullit ____ Robben
    _____________Zola__________
    _______Drogba______________________

assuming all are fully fit and in their prime.

with honorable mentions for Duff, J Cole, Vialli, Crespo, Petrescu, Di Matteo.

No Honourable mention for Winston.....for shame!

For what its worth ....

Chec
    Elliot, Terry, Desailly, Gallas
    Makaele
    Wise, Lampard, Gullit
    Zola, Dixon

(Left out Drogba, Le Saux, Di Matteo and Vialli......dammit!!)

SCULLY wrote: »
    No Honourable mention for Winston.....for shame!

For what its worth ....

Chec
    Elliot, Terry, Desailly, Gallas
    Makaele
    Wise, Lampard, Gullit
    Zola, Dixon

(Left out Drogba, Le Saux, Di Matteo and Vialli......dammit!!)

winston belongs firmly in the worst XI thread

• Advertisement
Advertisement