Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sli graphics

Options
  • 13-11-2007 6:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

which would be better on a 19" monitor (and wont be changing the size of the monitor either) but will be running majority of new games on the computer. sli'd 8600GT's and wait and try and get sli 8800GT's. Consider Crysis and all that would the 8600GT be up to it in sli on a 19" monitor and running stock?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

8600Gt Sli is a waste of money, sell the other 8600gt and get an 8800GT instead, cheapest one is 216 on hardwareversand and would make absolute mince of 8600gt sli.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I think NVIDIA is confusing people at the moment with the 8800GT. The price makes the "better" 8800 GTS 320 and 640 completely obsolete (damn!) and the current pricing of the 8600 versus the performance chasm (we're talking grand canyon here!) means that to skimp on a 8800 GT for an 8600 GT is ludicrous!

Sell your 8600 GT while you can and put the money towards an 8800GT!!!

256mb 8800GT on Komplett now for 179, would also be a great card for people still using 17" monitors or similar.

There can be some merit in buying a new 8600GT, as you can get them for 90 euro from Dabs, but in Sli, absolutely not, unless you can get one for ultra cheap second hand. Not all games support Sli, so keep in mind even with cheap sli, in many things you'd still only have the power of a single 8600gt despite having paid the extra cash.

Hardwareversand have a 512mb 8800GT for 216 euro ex. postage, which is fantastic, though god knows how long it'll take before you can get one. The normal price is about 250-270. Personally I'm going to go for the Zotac one, same price as most other vendors (260) and factory overclocked to 660mhz core. :)

Personally I think they should have called it 8850GT or similar, to distinct that it's not in fact the predecessor card to the GTS, which it's actually better then. Or to give it a sort of leet edge, 8700GTX/Ultra would have been cool :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭vir7ual

still boils down to using a single gpu instead of running sli gpu's then. just trying to bang out ideas on whether a single more expensive card is better than 2 cheaper sli'd cards running on the same monitor. With the way cards are coming out and being produced its a nightmare for anyone building a system at the moment.

It really depends on the cards in question. Generally, the more expensive card will outperform the cheaper card in Sli. But there are exceptions. A single 8800GT would absolutely destroy (and thats being gentle) 8600GT Sli. Whereas 8800GT Sli is a good run against the GTX, while actually costing less.

If I were you I would sell my 8600GT for about 70 euro while there's still a market for it, and put in into getting an 8800GT. Or if you're using a 19" Monitor, the 3870 at 199 would be a winner as well. Either would be vastly more powerful then 8600GT sli.

Even the 3850 256mb is a good choice for a 19" monitor, and will also beat not only the 8600GT hands down but also 8600GT sli.

• Advertisement
Advertisement