Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best tool for tweaking 8800GTX

Options
  • 13-11-2007 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I bought an xps720 a few weeks ago and I'm looking for advice on how best to tweak the cards for performance. The system came with 2 8800GTX cards in Sli mode.
    I have heard that nTune is not great? but I am not qualified to make my own opinion (don't know much about it TBH)

So where should I go from here?

I will probably be using it with the newer games at 1900 x 1200 on the Dell 2407HC.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Why do you need to tweak 8800GTX Sli? Just leave them alone if you don't know what or why you are doing it, you wouldn't be able to get much gain anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Tweak/overclock budget parts to achieve performance levels of high end parts then sit back and enjoy playing games.
    Buy high end parts to sit back and enjoy playing games without the headache(pleasure) of tweaking/overclocking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭CSSource God

Believe it or not I used ATI tool to overclock my Ultra to great effect. Download the latest version! Dont burn out your GTX's though.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Maybe I should leave well enough alone!!! I don't know enough about overclocking to start fiddling with the cards. I suppose they should be good enough in sli to run what I want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Maybe I should leave well enough alone!!! I don't know enough about overclocking to start fiddling with the cards. I suppose they should be good enough in sli to run what I want?

Unless you're running on something like a 30" monitor with everything at max settings then yes 8800GTX sli is plenty. :D

• Advertisement

HavoK wrote: »
    Unless you're running on something like a 30" monitor with everything at max settings then yes 8800GTX sli is plenty. :D

I'm going to be buying a Dell 2407WFP-HC soon. Native res of 1900 x 1200. Are the gtx's up to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'm going to be buying a Dell 2407WFP-HC soon. Native res of 1900 x 1200. Are the gtx's up to it?

:rolleyes: Yes. But sli depends on whether the game is sli'd or not. Some games run better in sli, others will just run on 1 gpu. Trust me, you don't need it with gtx sli :D

If your still not happy, rivatuner is the best gpu oc utility IMO.

BTW, how much did a Dell gtx sli cost u :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

Try set them at 626/1000 thats the EVGA 8800GTX ko Acs3 clocks.
    Use Ntune for setting the clock and riva tuner for fan control. Thats what i used on the same system you have before my two sexy Ultra XXX came from new york :p

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

Have the non HC version and its sweet, enjoy it when it arrives. Don't have too high hopes with Crysis though.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

Jeez you're all such killjoys, if he wants to overclock 'em then go for it.
    Anyway for a more permanent way of overclocking them get Nibitor (Nvidia BIOS editor) edit your clocks into a bios file then save it. Then put nvflash (Nvidia BIOS flasher) plus the edited bios on a bootable floppy, reboot to dos from the floppy and run the command nvflash [name of saved bios]. Done! Now you have cards that run at higher clocks without the need to use software!!

• Advertisement

Have the non HC version and its sweet, enjoy it when it arrives. Don't have too high hopes with Crysis though.

Why not Nordic?

Advertisement