Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MyFootballClub agrees Ebbsfleet takeover

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

The man/woman picked a username that most of his/her involvement in the running of this football club will be carried out through, and the best they can do is Baldarse. This is a professional job and they are already abusing it before the deal has even taken place. Besides, surely I dont even need to use usernames as proof of how people who have never met and never been involved in anything like this cannot be taken seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Archimedes wrote: »
    Besides, surely I dont even need to use usernames as proof of how people who have never met and never been involved in anything like this cannot be taken seriously?

But you did use usernames and criticism based on usernames really isn't based on logic. Like I say I have no problem with people who are against as long as they have a reasonable basis for it.

As for saying it cannot be taken seriously. Well, it is being taken seriously by the only people who really know what they are talking about i.e The Club itself.

Can you really disregard the opinion of the club's stakeholders so easily?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

DesF wrote: »
    20,000 Idiots picking the team.
    As opposed to most clubs where one idiot picks the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Archimedes wrote: »
    Observe some of the member names on that website.

baldarse
    tommy two studs
    cant b arsed
    americantwat

These people are running a football club?

Arn't these guys running guys running football clubs already the bottom one has a stake in Man Utd if I'm not mistaken:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

PDN wrote: »
    As opposed to most clubs where one idiot picks the team.

but that idiot is accountable for his selections and will ultimatly be removed if he fails.

these guys will just toddle on and find another internet fad to play with, leaving a mess of epic proportions behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Quick question, can I still buy in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Quick question, can I still buy in?

Yep, €49 of our euro's or $80 of your dollars.

I can think of better thinks to do with that kind of money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

leaving a mess of epic proportions behind.

or else it could work, but your mind is completely closed to that possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

but that idiot is accountable for his selections and will ultimatly be removed if he fails.

these guys will just toddle on and find another internet fad to play with, leaving a mess of epic proportions behind.

A mess? Yes.
    Of epic proportions? No

Messes of epic proportions tend to be left by just one or two idiots (Leeds United, Wimbledon Dons AFC or whatever, Chelsea once the Russian mafia get fed up and pull out).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

haha I have a share =D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

What happens if you get them promoted?

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote: »
    What happens if you get them promoted?

kdjac

I can say I was part of the management team that won promotion and apply for the Ireland job in a few years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Seaneh wrote: »
    I can say I was part of the management team that won promotion and apply for the Ireland job in a few years?

tbh your .09% of a club more than makes you qualified.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote: »
    tbh your .09% of a club more than makes you qualified.

kdjac

THX for the support =D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

The pros and cons of the deal...

EUFC supporter JImNGFC has posted this comment on the EUFC forum. He has given his permission for it to be copied here(onto the MFC forum but I'm sure he wont mind me putting it up here either! I think it's worth the read.

The MyFootballClub scenario still seems "mind-boggling" to me:

Pro's

1) The money MyFootballClub brings with it is a once in a lifetime opportunity for the Fleet to move forward, with the kind of investment most Fleet Fans would never have dreamed of. In the modern game money talks.

2) If every true Fleet Fan signs up to MyFootballClub then they will have a greater say in how the Club was run then under the current regime. Fact: The current Board of Directors do NOT listen to the fans as demonstrated by both the Re-naming and the MyFootballClub episodes where consultation was non-existant.

3) MyFootballClub offers fans the potential to revert the Club's name back to "Gravesend and Northfleet F.C."

4) MyFootballClub will raise the profile of the Club on a national scale, as demonstrated by the headline news on the BBC website and the article in the Daily Mail. Even when the "hype" dies down the Club will still receive far more publicity than is currently the case.

5) Most importantly, MyFootballClub's huge media exposure will encourage the local population of Gravesham to attend games, especially once a "bit of money" gets thrown at the playing squad. The Club will no longer be seen as a "little non-league Club" by the locals but rather a Club going places. With MyFootballClub's backing, Gillingham are unlikely to remain the biggest team in Kent for long.

6) MyFootballClub may well appoint a decent PR Manager and choose to advertise games more widely in the local press.

7) MyFootballClub will have the financial clout to look at ways to improve the current fanbase, in terms of appointing a full-time community officer to visit local schools and give away free tickets etc to schools.

8) MyFootballClub will be able pay higher wages (at least short term), which in turn should attract better players and improve the quality of football on offer at stonebridge road.

9) MyFootballClub offers massive commercial gains for the Football Club in terms of merchandising, sponsorship etc.

10) MyFootballClub with its huge potential to generate commercial sponsorship represents the Clubs most realistic chance of getting a new stadium. Progress on this appears to be non-existant.

11) MyFootballClub offers the opportunity to wipe-out the current debts of the football Club that are reported to be 350K? How else is this debt going to be repaid - the Club may well go bankrupt soon with dwindling crowds and a squad of 22 full-time players unless MyFootballClub is welcomed.

12) If the MyFootballClub bubble bursts then its my understanding the Football Club will be unaffected.

13) MyFootballClub may be an innovotive idea that might just work!

Cons:

1) Can 20,000 plus fans really manage team lineups and tactics?

2) Liam Daish is now under the same pressure as most Premiership Managers. Fans are fickle and while 1000 Fleet Fans can accept 3 losses in a row, 20,000 plus internet users can't.

On the other hand if Liam no longer picks the team can he be sacked?

3) Replacement managers are likely to be high profile managers that may have little or no experience of the non-league scene. Potential big names might include Ron Atkinson or even Paul Gascoigne, whose experiences at Kettering Town were less than impressive.

4) Existing promising "young" players such as Luke Moore or other promising young non-league players may be discarded in favour of ageing League Professionals whose name people may recognise.

5) Our current team are playing for their livelihoods. A few losses between now and the January transfer window could result in themselves having to find new employers unless they are under contract till the end of the season.

6) The Football Club is now a "Franchise" football Club but you could argue this was the case as soon as the name was changed to Ebbsfleet F.C. Don't blame MyFootballClub for Ebbsfleet being a franchise club - it already is!

7) The Football Club is being used as a "guinea pig". Effectively
    MyFootballClub is an experiment that no-one knows the outcome of until its done for the first time.

My only confession is that since the name change, I've not attended any games but continue to pay into the Fleet Trust. Before anyone starts giving me grief, this decision was made on the grounds I honestly felt I could not support a Board that had treated its fanbase so poorly on such an issue.

However, this detachment has perhaps helped me see the wider picture that MyFootballClub potentially offers the Club.

The question Fleet Fans need to ask themselves is - Do you want to remain a "non-league" Club or do you want to take a chance, with the Club you love and give it a once in a lifetime opportunity of rising through the Football League Pyramid?

Its a question I'm unable to answer, seeing as the Club I loved was lost with the name change, so I've nothing to lose either way.

Finally I would urge the MyFootballClub site to communicate with the Fleet Fans directly. Have some "glamour birds" handing out a questionaire at matchdays, requesting feedback on a range of issues such as the fans attitude to the Board, the re-naming, why crowds are low, the style of football being played and their views on the MyFootballClub takeover. I'm sure the fans are desperate to be listened to for a change.

A word of advice - organise this through MyFootballClub rather than the Club and make it easy for fans to return the questionaires directly to MyFootballClub or its representatives. Also give out pens to fans on matchday so they can complete the forms then and there and make it clear where they need to return the questionaires too.

If MyFootballClub is serious about buying the Club then lets see you prove it by communicating directly with the fans. Directors may hold the financial stake in the Club but without the fans you have no football club. LISTEN to what the Fleet fans have to say and you may well find they slowly embrace the MyFootballClub notion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the concept of it is good, but having 20000 members picking the team is not. if boards were to do this, what would be a good team to pick?!

the concept of it is good, but having 20000 members picking the team is not. if boards were to do this, what would be a good team to pick?!

Reckon we could do a better job of picking on tactics, formation and players then Staunton ever did!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

It's an interesting idea. I don't think we should knock it until it's been given a chance. If it goes wrong, I don't see how the club could lose out that much. As things stand they're up to their necks in debt anyway and are taking a chance. Good luck to them, it'll be interesting to see how this goes (assuming it gets off the ground at all).

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭BillyBoy

I signed up at the start of this. I take on board what people are saying about how this could go wrong but why not give it a chance? As Aidan said it could possibly work. You have to pay money to take part in this so I for one, and so would many of the other people who signed up and paid their money, want this to work so we will be taking it seriously.

If it turns out to be a disaster than I will be the first person to come on here and put up my hands (virtually of course:)) and say 'yes, it didn't work' but all I'm asking is not to dismiss the idea without giving it a chance.

Reckon there are at least 100 Irish guys that have signed up judging by the Irish forum on their site...

P.S. I'm also signed up since day 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Mr Posh

There seems to be a real lack of understanding of lower league football on here, who gives a f*ck who owns the club, plenty of teams in the past have been run by idiots making decisions the populace of fans don’t agree with, Maxwell, Ridsdale, Fry, Bates, Jordan, Kilcoyne,…………… the list goes gone.

The main point is Daish will always have the final say when picking the team, millions in the bank and the manger is accountable to a board full of pr*cks …..Business as usual.

I’d be interested to find out how many people on this sight actually follow the hard graft of following lower league football, I’m not talking the glamour of the Eirecom league I’m talking about a wet night in Bury followed by a home tie against Accrington Stanley, not all of us get champions league football on a regular basis so we have to take what comes our way.

A lower league fan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Mr Posh wrote: »

The main point is Daish will always have the final say when picking the team, millions in the bank and the manger is accountable to a board full of pr*cks …..Business as usual.

you really havent been concentrating on this discussion, have you? :rolleyes:

the main point is HE WONT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Mr Posh

Daish comments

"My job won't change that much. As a club, we'll select the starting 11 players and formation together.

"But just as before, what goes on at the training ground and in the dressing room on the day of the match is down to me.

Note together. He’ll always have the final say to cover for last minute injuries or sickness.

Nothing states in the terms and conditions that the members have the final say on a match day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

I see they got relegated.

Checked wiki to see what happened their 'setup'

However, after one year of ownership a majority of MyFC members failed to renew, with membership numbers dropping from a peak of 32,000 at the time of the takeover to just over 9,000 on deadline day 2009. The club had previously stated that 15,000 was the minimum required.[8]. As of March 2010, two years after the takeover, only 800 out of 4000 members have continued to pay membership fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I see they got relegated.

Checked wiki to see what happened their 'setup'

However, after one year of ownership a majority of MyFC members failed to renew, with membership numbers dropping from a peak of 32,000 at the time of the takeover to just over 9,000 on deadline day 2009. The club had previously stated that 15,000 was the minimum required.[8]. As of March 2010, two years after the takeover, only 800 out of 4000 members have continued to pay membership fees.

people lost interest when they realized that they would not be buying Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

people lost interest when they realized that they would not be buying Liverpool

That or the fact that the members never actually got to ''pick the team'' :o.

I was a member for the first year, there were some awesome times like the FA Trophy semi win over Aldershot away from home and winning the FA Trophy at Wembley. But the whole point of MyFC was to ''own the club, pick the team''.

Still a fan of Ebbsfleet, just not a member anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    That or the fact that the members never actually got to ''pick the team'' :o.

I was a member for the first year, there were some awesome times like the FA Trophy semi win over Aldershot away from home and winning the FA Trophy at Wembley. But the whole point of MyFC was to ''own the club, pick the team''.

Still a fan of Ebbsfleet, just not a member anymore.

out of curiosity who do you support in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

BOHtox wrote: »
    out of curiosity who do you support in Ireland

Sligo Rovers...I should edit my post, it was early. What I meant to say was I still ''follow'' Ebbsfleet. I've been to 2 games but I can't really call myself a fan anymore.

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Sligo Rovers...I should edit my post, it was early. What I meant to say was I still ''follow'' Ebbsfleet. I've been to 2 games but I can't really call myself a fan anymore.

Alri as I said just curious. I was kind of hoping you said none so I could go one a huge rant but thanks for ruining my day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

BOHtox wrote: »
    Alri as I said just curious. I was kind of hoping you said none so I could go one a huge rant but thanks for ruining my day
    Don't let that stop you mate, let loose!

• Advertisement

Dave! wrote: »
    Don't let that stop you mate, let loose!

Nah i'm alright I'll save it for another day

Advertisement