Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Vectra 2005 1.6 l

Options
  • 13-11-2007 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭

I bought an opel vectra 2005 1.6 l. the only thing is that it "eats" the petrol compared to the volvo s40 that i had, that was the same engine size as this, a full tank would last me about 2 weeks where on the vectra maybe 1 week, i took it to enfield to see how much petrol it uses i was doing 120 to and from enfild, it used half the tank. I dont know what to do, does anyone know what the problem might be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I was going to say that it just sounds like a case of a small engine for a heavy car so the engine has to work much harder to keep it going but a half a tank from Dublin(presuming) to Enfield does not sound right at all! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Anna23

my sisters boyfriend actually said the same thing that the car has to work a little bit harder as the engine size is quite small for such a big car, but still half the tank is way to much, I am going to bring it to the dealer on saturday and ask him what the problem is cause this is killing my pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Anna23 wrote: »
    I dont know what to do, does anyone know what the problem might be?

It's a crappy small engine for a large heavy car. It's probably always straining to move the lump of a Vectra and therefore using more fuel than a lighter car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Can you gives us some more concrete measures such as how many miles or kilometers you are getting per tank , or half a tank ? and the litre capacity of the tank itself? - as oppose to it lasts 1 week and down to enfield and back :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yeah I think you need accurate figures, however a Vectra 1.6 is a fairly economical car, and you certainly should have better mpg than the Volvo.

One question though, the Vectra changed in 1995, which one have you, the 16 valve or the earlier car ?

I would get someone to check and see if the brakes are sticking, it does happen, and verify the engine is running correctly ! Does it feel short on power ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I have the same problem with my astra(05 1.4), I travel 100KM (4hours in traffic in total) a week and it costs me 25euro...

I think it's because the thing is so heavy...

jameshayes wrote: »
    I have the same problem with my astra(05 1.4), I travel 100KM (4hours in traffic in total) a week and it costs me 25euro...

That is abnormal. - nothing to do with a heavy car.

that would calculate as roughly ~ 22L/100km - which is worse consumption than any big engined hefty sports car out there.

something must be seriosuly wrong if your spending 25€ on 100km .... youre not filling up on Ushers Quay are you ??!!! :p

I have to be honest I only got the car last sunday so I havent actually filled the tank up completly, the most i think i put in were 40 l which were used going to enfield and back oh and traveling from Castlknock to the airport, i will fill her up and see how many liters she uses for 100 km. I dont know what sort of an engine it has how many valves, but i can find out. all i know is that its a 2005 1.6 l. it has enough power its very fast compared to the volvo s40. I do like it, I am just very concerned about the amount of petrol it uses! another girl from my job she has the same exact car but the engine is 1.8 l she said that in the first 2/3 weeks the car was using a lot of petrol but then it slowly came back to "normal" what ever that means! God no Ushers Quay I heard how expensive they are!

I have to be honest I only got the car last sunday so I havent actually filled the tank up completly, the most i think i put in were 40 l which were used going to enfield and back oh and traveling from Castlknock to the airport, i will fill her up and see how many liters she uses for 100 km. I dont know what sort of an engine it has how many valves, but i can find out. all i know is that its a 2005 1.6 l. it has enough power its very fast compared to the volvo s40. I do like it, I am just very concerned about the amount of petrol it uses! another girl from my job she has the same exact car but the engine is 1.8 l she said that in the first 2/3 weeks the car was using a lot of petrol but then it slowly came back to "normal" what ever that means! God no Ushers Quay I heard how expensive they are!

.........it means she got used to it !! :D

Seriously fill it to the brim, zero the clock and drive it 'till the light comes on, then fill again, observe how many litres you have just put in and record the miles driven since you rest it !

To be honest with the hike in petrol prices it takes a while for folk to realise that they car appears about 15% less economical !!

Also its impossible to calculate MPG if you have spent a long time sitting in traffic. One thing I can tell you is that Opel engines are very lean burn and economical if everything is in order !

Well I spoke to the dealer and its going back on Saturday I actually need the hand break fixed as its making a weird noise so that needs to be looked at and the petrol consumption as well, but i apart from that the car seems fine, i am very happy with it, its very comfortable and easy to drive and it has all thses extras that the volvo didnt and i love that!

Hope it can be sorted, see the funny thing is that, when the ppl from the garage see a woman tehy just tell her stories and I tend to believe it, so ineed to bring my entire family with me so that they cant fool me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

C_Breeze wrote: »
    something must be seriosuly wrong if your spending 25€ on 100km .... youre not filling up on Ushers Quay are you ??!!! :p

Hahaha.. no, i use the aul Apple Green on the clonskeagh road...

It's due for a service now so I'll be asking the mechanic about it... (anyone have experience with Airton Opel?):confused:

Well I spoke to the dealer and its going back on Saturday I actually need the hand break fixed as its making a weird noise so that needs to be looked at and the petrol consumption as well, but i apart from that the car seems fine, i am very happy with it, its very comfortable and easy to drive and it has all thses extras that the volvo didnt and i love that!

Hope it can be sorted, see the funny thing is that, when the ppl from the garage see a woman tehy just tell her stories and I tend to believe it, so ineed to bring my entire family with me so that they cant fool me!

.........its sounds to me like the back brakes might be dragging !

what do u mean by that, ok you need to come with me on saturday!

what do u mean by that, ok you need to come with me on saturday!

.........oooohhh a date ! ;)

You havent even heard my "007" impression yet !! :cool:

well a date ok we can see how we get on and take it from there : ) so are u going to come with me on saturday? i can give u my mobile if you want, I can only make it after 1.30 as I have a seminar day in college!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would have the condition and presure of the tyres checked too. This can affect fuel consumption aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Golferx

Will someone please define what a "tank" is ?

With all due respect, to be comparing what one car does to a "tank" of fuel, compared to another, is absolutely irrelevant, without defining how much petrol you are talking about. You could have a difference in size between two tanks of 20% to 30%.

You have to measure how many miles per gallon, or litres/km your car is consuming.

Also, if your handbrake is dodgy, it could be sticking and causing serious damage to your hub, and seriously drinking petrol as a result.

I will sit there until they look at it properly, so it can either be the tyres, the hand break which can cause problems to the hub, excellent hopefully if i say this tohim e might think i know a few things about cars! LOL I wish! :mad:

Oh to explain myself better when it comes to the handbreak, what it does is that when I pull it not all the time, it makes this noise like its catching something, thats all!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

jameshayes wrote: »

No it's because you are sitting in traffic for 3 extra hours per week doing 0l/km. Driving in heavy traffic will eat the petrol. Also the car will be running rich most of the time as it won't be getting very warm on a 10km drive. Drive it on the open road and you'll find the true l/km.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Del2005 wrote: »
    No it's because you are sitting in traffic for 3 extra hours per week doing 0l/km.
    Huh, I would be very surprised if sitting in traffic used 0ltrs of fuel per 100kms travelled??? 0 ltr/100km would infer that no fuel is used at all.

Why do people find the metric equivalent of miles per gallons so difficult to understand!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

Could it be a faulty petrol guage?

The guage on my old golf would tell me the car had used half a tank of petrol after about a hundred miles. Would get another 250 miles out of the "second half" of the tank.

Just an idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

fletch wrote: »
    Huh, I would be very surprised if sitting in traffic used 0ltrs of fuel per 100kms travelled??? 0 ltr/100km would infer that no fuel is used at all.

Why do people find the metric equivalent of miles per gallons so difficult to understand!

Did a typo meant 0km/l

I will let u know what the prob was and see who might be right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Kaldorn

are you carrying alot of weight in the CAR?

ha ha ha nooooo, its just me and the tennis rackets in the bag oh and my gym bag and an extra pair of shoes just in case i break my heel again! and i am not that heavy!!! LOL

well a date ok we can see how we get on and take it from there : ) so are u going to come with me on saturday? i can give u my mobile if you want, I can only make it after 1.30 as I have a seminar day in college!

............a date with a colledge girl !

No seriously I'm married :rolleyes: but I would come and look at it for you if it were handy to me, I hate to see folk ripped off !

Anyway, where are you/this car based roughly ?

I'm not sure I can do this weekend but I may no someone who can !

yeah i know someone who could do you this weekend aswell :D

.... not me though , ive a gf!

....sorry couldnt resist

C_Breeze wrote: »
    yeah i know someone who could do you this weekend aswell :D

.... not me though , ive a gf!

....sorry couldnt resist

..............tut tut !!

And we haven't even seen a photo yet !! ;)

ok u had your fun ha ha ha, and by the way I'd love a quick one as well, I live in Castleknock but I have to take the car to the Airport! So here is a pic... lets see who's laughing now

• Advertisement

I work 3 minutes away from the airport !!!

Advertisement