Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Proof Fencing?

• 13-11-2007 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi there

I've just joined and I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best place to get cat proof fencing around Dublin. I have a cat who is both indoor and outdoor but my neighbour's cats keep coming in, try to steal his food, fight with him and poo all over the garden. I've spoken to my neighbours on 3 occasions regarding keeping their cats in or feeding them more but they don't care so this is my final straw.

I'd really appreciate some help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Poppy Cock

I had the same problem with a neighbours cat - I was told to throw water over him every time I saw him in my garden - it doesn't hurt him, but he associates my garden with getting wet every time he comes in, so after a few months (it's worth it) they stop coming in. You have to be proactive though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Hi, When i moved i had a prob with my cats going into my neighours gardens, I suppose it is to be expected and as the place is full of cats I didn't think much of it. Almost every time I look out my window there is a strange cat looking in at me :) One day my neighbour knocked to say my cat was in her garden and that she's terrified of them (cats in general) so i apologised and gave her the same advice, throw water over him. Everything seemed to be fine. Next thing, she has a dog, a beautiful golden lab. She works and her son is in school. The dog is outside 24hrs a day alone, she whines pityfully from morning to night. The only time I hear them speak to her is when they are feeding her when they shout at her not to jump up. She's less than a year old :( . When I open the window of the back bedroom she gets so excited to see someone. I actually bring a chair out sometimes and sit at the fence talking to her so she has some company. It's heartbreaking. Anyway what I'm saying is a dog is not a good cat proof fence :) also that everytime I see poor gabby I feel like it's partly my fault she has such a miserable life.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

Poppy Cock wrote: »
    I had the same problem with a neighbours cat - I was told to throw water over him every time I saw him in my garden - it doesn't hurt him, but he associates my garden with getting wet every time he comes in, so after a few months (it's worth it) they stop coming in. You have to be proactive though.

Given that I love cats there is absolutely no way I would do this! Any less cruel suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

I have two cats myself and other cats keep coming into garden and fighting (and injuring, cost me a fortune in vet fees) my cats. Throw the water

Plus, what was suggested to me. Get a bottle with spray gun at top, like cleaning fluid bottles. Clean it out and put water and lemon juice in it. Cats hate it. Everytime you see cat - spray it.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

Probably no use to you whatsoever and don't know if it's even true but i've heard orange peels are good to keep cats away but then what would your own cat do:confused:
    I wouldn't fancy trying to make a fence from orange peels:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 erinselbow

Depending on what size your garden is you can get cat proof netting on www.zooplus.ie it's great for smaller gardens, alternatively you could construct a cat run so your cat would have some safe outside space as well as inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭JoeJC

Bagheera wrote: »
    Given that I love cats there is absolutely no way I would do this! Any less cruel suggestions?

If you gotta get rid of the cat, get rid of it. Water will make the cat uncomfortable...it won't kill or maim it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

There are several different cat pen/fencing options.

If you take a wander to the kitten adoption website (www.kittenadoption.ie) and from there go to the forums you'll be able to view the construction of a pen from start to finish. I have a converted dog pen running the full length along the back of the house (steel mesh, not a cheap option) for my horde.

I'm heading out now for the afternoon but when I get back I'll stick some pics up of mine. I've heard of people using brackets and wire along a wall to keep cats in/out too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Oh for goodness sake, it's only water! It's called negative reinforcement - if these cats associate your garden with getting squirted with water, they will soon learn not to go near your garden.

If you love YOUR cat you would do this - it's not hurting the neighbours cats but it will stop them stressing your YOUR cat, who is YOUR priority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

Have to agree with the water suggestion, it'll work & it won't harm the cat. Fill some well rinsed washing up liquid bottles & dot them around so you'll always have one nearby when the cat makes an appearance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

I did the water thing and plenty of hissing. It worked for a couple of hours. Last night one of them was at my door again but I just ignored him. I'll persist with the water as it got them out of my yard temporarily.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

Bagheera, you'll have to 'water' them several times for it to have any kind of lasting effect. You'll be amazed at how your aim will improve:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

I find the good old childs water gun does the trick! Negative reinforcement is the way to go and with a water gun you dont drench them but they get the message :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

I've got the very same thing...

we got the stray to stop coming in during the day but she now has started coming in at night, my cat has the cat run and a two story house of his own out side. but this female keeps on going to the toilet all over the garden- anything else i can do?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

get a bb gun and shoot the cat when it tries to enter the garden

if it survives it will think twice about entering the garden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Poppy Cock

Are you drunk? It's water - not acid. You do know that water also falls out of the sky naturally - so by your logic, it's also cruel when a cat gets caught in the rain?

Advertisement