Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Motor Tax Rates?

Options
  • 13-11-2007 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi,
    Does anyone know what the new rates of motor tax will be?
    I currently drive a 1.4 petrol but was thinking of buying something with a bit more grunt...but if the tax is going to go up by a lot I will have to rconsider!
    Thanks
    Jack

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Will not know for sure until the budget is announced next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Looks like new emission-linked tax rates will only apply to cars registered from '08 on. Pre 08 cars will still be taxed the 'old way'.

Public consultation on CO2 emissions and motor tax
    From 1 January 2008 the Government are proposing to new introduce a new system where CO2 ratings (and engine values) of certain vehicles will be used to calculate their motor tax. These proposals are for any new or pre-owned imported vehicle (private cars) registered in Ireland after 1 January 2008.

Cars which are registered prior to 1 January, 2008 will continue to be taxed in accordance with current arrangements and CO2 ratings will not apply to these vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Padraig Mor, if what you've posted is true, I could cry with happiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If this is true then demand for certain post 2008 vehicles especially large SUVs, etc may fall away.

Also would that not mean that an old tank guzzler which would probably be more harmful than a 2008 model yet the tank guzzler may actually work out cheaper to tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Sorry, forgot link.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/motor-tax-and-insurance/motor_tax_rates
    It's a government site so it *should* be fairly accurate I guess?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

bazz26 wrote: »
    Also would that not mean that an old tank guzzler which would probably be more harmful than a 2008 model yet the tank guzzler may actually work out cheaper to tax?

Already happens. 7.6L taxed for 50 squids :)

The goverment doesn't really care about green issues - they just want more money.

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

CO2 ratings (and engine values) of certain vehicles will be used to calculate their motor tax.

In other words, they will still screw us for owning big engined cars but now they are adding yet another aspect to the system to screw us some more. Can anyone really see this reducing their motor tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I don't think the new regime is using CO2 emissions. Not this time round. Maybe in a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

It seems a bit unusual to only implement the new rules on new vehicles. sure the majority of vehicles on the road would be exempt from the new rules for a few years.

They would be much better of putting it onto petrol, since tax can only be paid for a year at most they could say in a years time motor tax will be abolished and will be put onto petrol. until then it's going up say 10-15%. when people have to renew their tax they can only do so till a set date.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

This is about the eleventy billionth thread on this at the moment. Merge mods, merge ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,788 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Noelie wrote: »
    It seems a bit unusual to only implement the new rules on new vehicles. sure the majority of vehicles on the road would be exempt from the new rules for a few years.

They would be much better of putting it onto petrol, since tax can only be paid for a year at most they could say in a years time motor tax will be abolished and will be put onto petrol. until then it's going up say 10-15%. when people have to renew their tax they can only do so till a set date.

personally i prefer paying a set rate for the year. Paying it on the petrol would mean it is completely variable, and would depend on where and when you fill up the car.

Once I have the tax paid i don't need to worry about it for another 12 months, which suits me just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Tauren wrote: »
    personally i prefer paying a set rate for the year. Paying it on the petrol would mean it is completely variable, and would depend on where and when you fill up the car.
    How do you figure that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

sorry if this seems like a stupid question but if its on all new cars does that mean there will be an increase in rates on old cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,788 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Anan1 wrote: »
    How do you figure that?

I suppose it would depend on how they do it. If they just increase the current tax on petrol the road tax would be a percentage of the fuel price. So if tax is 30% (just as an eample) if you fill for €1 per litre, you pay 30c in tax per litre. If the fuel is €1.10 you'd pay an increase in the tax as a percentage.

The other way would just be to add 10c per litre regardless of the current price.

I don't know which way they would chose.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I see what you mean. I'd just assumed the tax would be levied in cents per litre, rather than as a percentage of the end price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭blackbox

Heard a guy from SIMI on the radio this morning asserting that cars in Sweden cause more pollution than in Ireland because the average age of their cars is higher.

The SIMI just wants to keep VRT down to flog as many cars as possible.

The fact is that manufacturing a new car and disposing of an old one are huge consumers of energy and other resources and cause pollution that tends to be ignored.

Anyone who wants to be "green" will maintain his/her car to keep it in an efficient condition and operational for as many years as possible.

Changes to tax will be designed to suit the government, though I must confess I wouldn't mind them having a cut at school run SUV's. Unfortunately it's hard to do this without hurting the small number of people who genuinely need them.

Advertisement