Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finglas - Rathfarnham - Inchicore

Options
  • 13-11-2007 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Anyone know what the Casement Drive area of Finglas is like? I've heard it can be quite rough but have a really good house up for offer there.

While I'm at it, the Marley Park area of Rathfarnham and the Tyrconnel Road area of Inchicore?

What's the relative merits and downpoints of each area?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

daniel3982 wrote: »
    Anyone know what the Casement Drive area of Finglas is like? I've heard it can be quite rough but have a really good house up for offer there.

While I'm at it, the Marley Park area of Rathfarnham and the Tyrconnel Road area of Inchicore?

What's the relative merits and downpoints of each area?

Casement isnt rough at all.Its one of the more mature parts of finglas and is definatly worth considering if the price is right.Adjacent to the road you have Aldi,Lidl,the new Dunnes at Charlestown,the N2 on your doorstep,the M50 a hundred yards away,Finglas Leisure centre,Tesco clearwater,Godfathers pizza,Jolly Toper pub,Deputy Myor pub,Texaco petrol station,four bus routes with QBC and Finglas Village.You'd be hard pressed to find a better location.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 d_dools

the marley park area is a really good area, shops(lidl&centra) in walking distance, so is a pu(the eden) and theres busses into town from just outside the estate.local school as well.. the estate itself is off the main road so its quite enough, not too far at all from the M50 either..dunno about the rest im afraid. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Degsy wrote: »
    Casement isnt rough at all.Its one of the more mature parts of finglas and is definatly worth considering if the price is right.Adjacent to the road you have Aldi,Lidl,the new Dunnes at Charlestown,the N2 on your doorstep,the M50 a hundred yards away,Finglas Leisure centre,Tesco clearwater,Godfathers pizza,Jolly Toper pub,Deputy Myor pub,Texaco petrol station,four bus routes with QBC and Finglas Village.You'd be hard pressed to find a better location.

I'd have to agree with the Lord Mayor of the Northside here. Exellent location on the northside. Although most of Finglas would not be highly desirable unless your from the area, Casement is ideally situation for most things.

Only down side, its still Finglas. But well worth considering if the money is right, and for all the reasons ^^^ that chap above mentions.

I'd also like to add,that like many "working class" areas,finglas has a tremendous sense of community,neighbours are usually friendly,people will go out of thier way to help each other and generally go a long way towards making outsiders feel welcome.There are issues with some people but these are usually the sort of 14 year old scrotes you'll find anywhere,finglas people in the main have no time for anti social behaviour and SF have a strong presence in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Up around Marlay is a grand spot, you've got the m50 easily accessed, the eden nearby, shops etc. plus within a five minute drive you have nutgrove, tiny bit further dundrum, and rathfarnham village. its quite well positioned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

What Degsey said !

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭daniel3982

Oooh tough decisions, glad to hear Finglas is looking better then I expected, similar threads off here in the past led me to believe it's a warzone or something, the house is perfect so if the area's got stuff going for it then I'm a happy chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

the Tyrconnel Road area of Inchicore?

Kip. Its near Michaels estate a notorious part of Inchicore. One of its merits is that its near Richmond Park, go on the saints. All sorts of drug deals and stuff goes on there, stay away if you can.

Oooh tough decisions, glad to hear Finglas is looking better then I expected, similar threads off here in the past led me to believe it's a warzone or something, the house is perfect so if the area's got stuff going for it then I'm a happy chap.

Finglas is actaully a good area to live in,the house prices there are appreciating steadily unlike a lot of other places.Lots of new apartments and stuff in the area too which means a decent house will be a good investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Alot of elderly live up that way which is a good thing as they tend not to engage in dodgy behaviour, less young people around the better i believe :D

Go up there yourself and have a look some evenings to see what an area is like.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

..finglas people in the main have no time for anti social behaviour and SF have a strong presence in the area.

Is there a connection between those two points? Oxymoron perhaps?:confused:

My granny lived in casement for many many years, as did my uncle and his family. While its not the worst area in the world, it is as someone said within a rough area generally. I'd strongly advise going up there some friday or saturday night, parking near the house you have your eye on and just sit there for a few hours to see whats going on.
    Take a look at the local pubs and chippers and see whats going on there too.
    If you like horses of course, Finglas is horse central, so there may be a few on the green areas in Casement!
    Amenity wise the area is quite good because its been around so long - plenty of schools, shops, places of worship, swiming pool, community centres etc. that you'd be waiting years for in a new development.
    Happy hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I would strongly advise you if you are thinking of long term living to REALLY look into this.

That area being described as mature depends very much on what end you are living on. The Casement Close end is certainly not fully mature. Now for the time being it seems a lot of the complete and total scum bags that live there and around the Barry and Cappagh areas have died, gone to prison, ****ed on drugs etc but let me tell you that it seems with this area it quietens down for a few years until the next generation of scum come of age which doesn't be very long generally.

I know some very decent people from around there but I know only too well the mentality of the gangs that hang around, smash and rob cars, smash houses, etc. I could not wait to get out of it. Completely quiet, good hearted families coming under such attack for no reason whatsoever, not that a reason would justify such actions.

The other end of the Rd isn't so bad, that would be mature alright, but honestly I would personally never move back there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭traceybere

I was looking at a house in that area a few months ago - the estate agent rang me and said she had to advise me there was a recent shooting before i viewed the house, it may just have been a one of but it did make me quite nervous

traceybere wrote: »
    I was looking at a house in that area a few months ago - the estate agent rang me and said she had to advise me there was a recent shooting before i viewed the house, it may just have been a one of but it did make me quite nervous

It wasnt somebody putting the cat out that got shot,it was a drug dealer who was shot by another drug dealer,neither of which were from the area.Unless you're planning on dealing drugs you should be okay!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

SF have a strong presence in the area.

Thats hardly a good thing

Thats hardly a good thing

too right and they don't have a strong presence anyway to the original bull****ter

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Doolittle51

It wasnt somebody putting the cat out that got shot,it was a drug dealer who was shot by another drug dealer,neither of which were from the area.Unless you're planning on dealing drugs you should be okay!

Innocent people get caught up in shootings too. Wrong place wrong time/stray bullets etc.

I think you really need to live in an area like finglas before you know whats it's like. OP - Perhaps try renting for a while before buying in such an area.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Davao8000

I grew up near the Marley Park area (Rathfarnham) and I now live in the Finglas area. Overall I would rather live in Rathfarnham but when you say Marley Park that can cover a large area. There is one housing estate near Marley Park that I wouldn't want to live in. There was a story recently about the local bus refusing to go into the estate where the terminus is due to attacks.

Also, Finglas does have a large number of facilities as a previous poster has outlined.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

marlay park unless its up round whitechurch.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Jay D wrote: »
    I would strongly advise you if you are thinking of long term living to REALLY look into this.

That area being described as mature depends very much on what end you are living on. The Casement Close end is certainly not fully mature. Now for the time being it seems a lot of the complete and total scum bags that live there and around the Barry and Cappagh areas have died, gone to prison, ****ed on drugs etc but let me tell you that it seems with this area it quietens down for a few years until the next generation of scum come of age which doesn't be very long generally.

I know some very decent people from around there but I know only too well the mentality of the gangs that hang around, smash and rob cars, smash houses, etc. I could not wait to get out of it. Completely quiet, good hearted families coming under such attack for no reason whatsoever, not that a reason would justify such actions.

The other end of the Rd isn't so bad, that would be mature alright, but honestly I would personally never move back there.

i have to agree with this post, i would think twice about driving through some parts of casement. on the other hand, i have lived in finglas for the 3 years and have never had any problems.

As for the shootings are not just confined to finglas - sure wasnt there a drive by shooting on the M50, not so long ago?? it can happen anywhere

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭traceybere

Well i would rather go somewhere that there wasn't shootings - i know they say lightning doesn't stirke in the same place twice but in that generall area there was 3 in the past 2 years.

I know there is really nice people from this area and i just hope one of them innconcent nice neighbourly people does not get caught in the cross fire

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

traceybere wrote: »
    Well i would rather go somewhere that there wasn't shootings - i know they say lightning doesn't stirke in the same place twice but in that generall area there was 3 in the past 2 years.

I know there is really nice people from this area and i just hope one of them innconcent nice neighbourly people does not get caught in the cross fire

well then i would suggest you dont move to Dublin and never use the M50. In case you havent noticed Dublin has turned in to one big shooting range

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

A bit away from Casement. But a friend just rang to say her car has been broken into last night.

Her's was one of 16 in just one night in Prospecthill, Tolka Valley road. I guess the scumbags didn't travel from Rathfarnham :confused:

To the OP, if this is a first house and you've no intention of rearing children then Casement does have alot going for it. Degsy has done a good job listing them all.

But Finglas is a high crime rate area, and you'll travel far before putting your children into a good school.

I bought a house with those idea's in mind a few years ago. It was in East Wall. As a first house it was fine, but when the children came along it was time to haul ass and get the fvck out of that environment.

Of the three area's you listed in order of merit I'd pick ..

1. Rathfarnham.

2. Finglas

3000000000 1/2 . Inchicore!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Mairt wrote: »
    A bit away from Casement. But a friend just rang to say her car has been broken into last night.

Her's was one of 16 in just one night in Prospecthill, Tolka Valley road. I guess the scumbags didn't travel from Rathfarnham :confused:

To the OP, if this is a first house and you've no intention of rearing children then Casement does have alot going for it. Degsy has done a good job listing them all.

But Finglas is a high crime rate area, and you'll travel far before putting your children into a good school.

That apt block plus tolka vale are a magnet for car crime in particular, nothings changed since they built the place.

I'd never live in an apt if i had a car, any underground car park in an apt block anywhere is dodgy and ripe for break-ins.

Funny thing is Glasnevin is across the road from Prospect Hill, it might be those nevin heads at it again :)

gurramok wrote: »
    That apt block plus tolka vale are a magnet for car crime in particular, nothings changed since they built the place.

I'd never live in an apt if i had a car, any underground car park in an apt block anywhere is dodgy and ripe for break-ins.

Funny thing is Glasnevin is across the road from Prospect Hill, it might be those nevin heads at it again :)

but isn't that Hotel Glasnevin??

Joke.

but as for car crimes etc apartments are a goldmine for the culprits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Novacastrian

A friend of mine lived in at the back of casement, and i have to say I didn't like driving in there at all, its not a nice place. I was at a soccer match close to there a few years ago and a fight started berween the fans, ref had to call the match off. I'm not a fan of finglas, to be honest, and I grew up not far from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

and you'll travel far before putting your children into a good school.

De La Salle primary & Benevain secondary schools in Finglas East? Not exactly tooo far is it. And that hotel is Finglas btw, my cousin works in it. :D

Also I have cycled that road every morning between 2am-4am for about 2 years now and have yet to see any gangs hanging around that general area. You might get a few little runts at night but you could get them anywhere. Problem doesnt seem too serious to me.

Slunk wrote: »
    De La Salle primary & Benevain secondary schools in Finglas East? Not exactly tooo far is it. And that hotel is Finglas btw, my cousin works in it. :D

Also I have cycled that road every morning between 2am-4am for about 2 years now and have yet to see any gangs hanging around that general area. You might get a few little runts at night but you could get them anywhere. Problem doesnt seem too serious to me.

In fairness though you only wizz through it at all hourse, try 11ish etc....

Oh and did you not have a fella run beside you in his nude passing the Plunkett Rd????? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Whats 'The Ranch' like in Inchicore/Ballyfermot?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭fantasma

Having lived on Grange Road close to Marlay for some years I would recommend it. Its pretty much safe for Dublin and there is a good sense of community. You would need burgler alarm however and to use a common sense approach to crime prevention. On the plus side you have two decent bars in walking distance in the Eden and the Yellow House and have access to the 16 16A and B bus routes which run frequently enough to the city centre. Also Dundrum is close as is Nutgrove where there are some ok shops. Good luck with your move.

Advertisement