Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crysis Reviews (Wow! GS - 9.5, IGN - 9.4, 1up - 8)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hmm, not convinced. It seems to me that the strength of the graphics is dictating the high scores. It seems the game goes down hill once the aliens start showing up which is exactly the same problem with Farcry when them stupid mutants showed up.

Or maybe I'm just jealous that my PC hasn't a hope of running this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I don't have a lot of faith in reviews. They usually give a big thumbs up to the latest flavour of the month, so I'll reserve judgement til I play it. (But I'm still excited :D ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Hmm, not convinced. It seems to me that the strength of the graphics is dictating the high scores. It seems the game goes down hill once the aliens start showing up which is exactly the same problem with Farcry when them stupid mutants showed up.

Or maybe I'm just jealous that my PC hasn't a hope of running this.
    Half.life's aliens weren't the best either.

More fun blasting marines tbqh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Hmm, not convinced. It seems to me that the strength of the graphics is dictating the high scores.

In fairness, I think its technical strength might elevate the overall experience though. At least, playing the demo, playing with everything at very high, it gave me a sense of 'being there' and immersion that I've never really had in a game before. That kind of experience can add a lot.

Graphics etc. can count for a lot!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

kaimera wrote: »
    Half.life's aliens weren't the best either.

More fun blasting marines tbqh

Well Half-Life 1 only fell apart right at the end. Up until Zen it was superb. Farcry well apart quite early. However Farcry was long game and you were fighting mercenaries and having fun for far long than with most modern FPS games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

yeeeeeeeeey...in the process of installing now...im soooo happy:D:D:D:D

screw reviews, thats sumone elses perspective. i have my own opinions

yeeeeey...crysis....hoooooooooow sweet it iiiiiiiiiis!!!!!

yeeeeeeeeey...in the process of installing now...im soooo happy:D:D:D:D

screw reviews, thats sumone elses perspective. i have my own opinions

yeeeeey...crysis....hoooooooooow sweet it iiiiiiiiiis!!!!!

My head...going...to...explode. Too...many...Voooooooweeeeeeeeels!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I don't like it played the demo, I think the only thing its got is graphics, I didnt like the gameplay much ill just wait til I can get it by other means.... :eek:

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

daz do you ever like any new game? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

To be honest when I played the demo I thought I was playing Farcry...it was so similar...only difference was the graphics update...still pick it up though as I'm hoping the multiplayer will be interresting this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

i am jelous of all ye chaps with a machine that'll play it, all i gots is a 9800 pro and a 3 gig processer!!! hopefully theey will bring it out on the 360 early enough next year(fingers crossed)

i hear on the grapevine its been leaked on to the torrents and what not also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

I've been out of touch for a while. Does this game make use of Direct X 10 and all that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Joeface

well i too am hoping this will be GREAT. but i have some big doubts about it.
    played the demo.Graphics are awesome .but it was the little things that annoyed me .Like the suit settings .(select strength mode to jump six inches) and cloak don't get me started on that. I found it way to similar to FarCry in game play, thats not really bad thing, its just i expected so much more.
    I was more impressed by COD4 , but then again I wasn't expecting as much for that as I got.

the other thing I didn't like was when Crytek came up on load followed BY EA, they fubar everything . Prob should have read more about it and I would have expected to see it but i came as a surprise to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

right I have played the full version, I have not noticed much of a difference in frame rate over the demo. My rig is a 8900\640MB, Q6600, 2GBs Ram.

I am playing at 1280x1024 in DX9 mode all on high and frame rate is smooth as butter.

Very high dx10 settings are out of the question at 1280x1024, I just think its just out of the question for todays hardware & I believe quad core support is not enabled yet but there is rumor of a patch coming on release day.

Oh the game itself its great. Now to put this on context I hated COD4 all that frantic "run here" "do that" sort of thing pisses me off no end, I like to take it easy scout out a position and work out how I am finally going to approach it.

A.I can be good and bad in equal measure, it really is Far Cry part 2 with a better story line.

But it has been well worth the wait. anyway back to play again

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Ice_Box wrote: »
    I've been out of touch for a while. Does this game make use of Direct X 10 and all that?
    No. If you have Vista, you can use DX10, otherwise you use DX9.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I'm being a bit lazy, but to save me finding out elsewhere:
    Can you map keys to control the suit functions? Just played the demo and that middle-click gesture thing bugged me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I found the demo quite interesting. Driving through the hut in the jeep was fun and watching it all fall apart. As was using the suit to go invisible and trying to find imaginative ways to kill baddies. I can see that being fun throughout the game.

The graphics were obviously quite nice though I still don't see what all the fuss is about. I had it all on high at a nice smooth framerate and everything but it didn't wow me all that much. Not in the way videos of Assassin's Creed have, or even the Uncharted demo. I don't think technical excellence can make up for great art direction and well animated characters. Or maybe it was just my own expectations being over-inflated going into it because I'd heard so much.

Overall I'd pick it up cheap but it's certainly not at the top of my list. It seems to have much more flexible gameplay than the other big FPS games like CoD4 and Halo 3 which has got to be a good thing, though I'd take CoD first because of its great atmosphere which is something independent of great graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

really wanna play it but the demo played like crap on my laptop with any half decent graphics options.
    i was hoping with a 2ghz dual core and a 256mb 7900GS i'd get something out of it but apparently not. the default settings (1024x768, everything at medium) was very choppy. hopefully with an upgrade to 2gb of ram itll run better

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

To get a decent frame rate I had to drop the settings real low and thus it looked crap, and you need a good frame rate for twitch games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

New Nvidia driver out for Crysis Version: 169.09

This driver:

* Adds SLI support for Crysis
    * Fixes a water reflection bug in Crysis
    * Adds Control Panel anisotropic filtering support for Crysis

With this driver, SLI will deliver 40-50% speedup over a single GPU for Crysis. In addition, Crytek will release a patch in the next week or two that will improve SLI performance further.

XP 32
    XP 64
    Vista32
    Vista64

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

My 3.2ghz Quad core & 8800GTX is chomping at the bit for this one! Roll on Friday, straight into Smyths to buy it, should come in around 41 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

Apparently you can enable 'very high' on XP (it is only normally selectable in vista/DX10)

http://www.actiontrip.com/link.phtml?http://www.crysis-online.com/forum/index.php?topic=11837.0%20msg203789

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭-TK^Creator

My 3.2ghz Quad core & 8800GTX is chomping at the bit for this one! Roll on Friday, straight into Smyths to buy it, should come in around 41 euros

is it not out tmz? the 14th?

hehe this is a game that i would bother to Oc my quad core to get best out of it too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

LookingFor wrote: »

IGN pisses me off, when you go to it all the text is covered by a dark red background and it doesn't turn white for a few seconds so you are straining to read it while it loads, its a pain in the arse, just had to get that off my chest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Been playing away for the past few days, the AI is very poor, barely react to anything going on around them, massive explosions won't even stur the enemy standing 20 meters away, and I'm playing on Hard. some enemies take AGES to kill, used up 2 clips (Single shot) on a guy 30 meters or so away, he was twiching with the bullet hits but just wouldn't die, this seems to happen regulary. i've had enemies just randomly coming out of nowhere, and even groups of men appearing directly behind me that to my knowledge were not there before.

Apart from that its a solid game and I'm enjoying it.

hey pyro, that whole takin a million bullets to the torso thing can be solved by removing ur silencer. its designed so ya dnt overuse ur silencer, that u only use it for accurate headshots or wat not. but ya, AI can be THICK sumtimes, i do like how they take cover tho... BIG EXPLOSIONS....they go BOOM!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Two clips was taking the piss though !! Just finished it there, leads to way for Crysis 2 anyway !

finished?...cool.

didnt like the zero-G level...was jus like swimming...very disorientating and confusing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Geff

So you thought this game would just be graphics over substance? The same could've been said about Cryteks debut FarCry which turned out to be one of the best next gen FPS after HL2 I had nothing but high expectations for this game and it met those expectations the only gripes I do have is that the guns need to be majorly tweaked for accuracy and damage or maybe its just playing the perfection that is COD4 for gun mechanics plus you need a serious system to play this game. Unlike other companies who optimise their games for an audience with lower end PCs Crytek didn't bother and even with everything on low you still need a fairly modern PC. I will be upgrading soon but the game is great so far. Extremely challenging, almost open ended (for an FPS) and no other major gripes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Geff wrote: »
    The same could've been said about Cryteks debut FarCry which turned out to be one of the best next gen FPS after HL2

I can only imagine there are two different versions of FarCry out there, because the one I played is not even remotely of the same caliber as a game like HL2, and nowhere near one of the best FPS games of recent years.

I'm not expecting much from Crysis, other than gorgeous graphics, so if it's good it's a great bonus. As long as it's better then FarCry, I'll be happy, but from what I've read it suffers from a few of the same problems that game did.

Advertisement