Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crysis Reviews (Wow! GS - 9.5, IGN - 9.4, 1up - 8)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Redshift wrote: »
    I bought it from the EA store which had no problems accepting my irish address and credit card.
    I have it preloaded and it unlocks in 4 hours.

Got it here, click on the Irish Flag
    http://www.buycrysis.ea.com/

Thanks.
    Yeah copped on to that a few hours ago. I was looking at the US site. Downloading it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Hmm i thought those of you who got it through ea would get it a day or 2 earlier.
    Shops in galway had it in today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

€54.99 me dickie !

Thought it was only going to be arund the €40 mark ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

back on thread :P

well id read all the hype, and i felt that this game would be taken over by graphics and not gameplay.

and i think i was right.

I got to play it on my pc fairly well, ran smooth and it does look amazing.

But if you take away the looks, imo its an average fps shooter. Nothing really jumps out and grabs me. They really just hoped the gorgous looks would sell it, but under that its not that great. If your look me yeah looks are important but gameplay is essential, at the end of the day thats what makes a good game.

If you do not have a beast of a machine id advise you dont bother, its pretty useless on low settings.

This game is only worth your while if you have an amazing machine to benefit from the graphics.

Really dissapointed with this one.

Sold it on already

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Azza wrote: »
    Also valve place alot of weight behind getting the player emotionally attached to the central characters, which in fairness is really hard to do in a video game. I don't think they really achieve this as the characters don't have any great depth. Eli Vance has nothing else to do but be concerned for Alex and does bugger all else in HL2. Kleiner is the moderately effective comic relief. Maugneson is annoying. Barney is the only likable one but he ain't around much. The rest I'm rather indifferent too. I felt no emotional punch at the end of episode 2. But rarely do I in video games.

I can understand some of your points, but the above point is, for me anyway, totally wrong. No emotional attachement to Alex? or Barney? What about (MAJOR EPISODE 2 SPOILER)
    Eli's death at the end of EP2? I couldn't believe it. I was more affected by that then any other characters death since Aeris
    . The HL characters are, imo, some of the most realistic and lifelike characters i've played with. Alex's shock and fear after the train journey with the Stalkers at the start of EP1. Alex and Eli meeting up, with that sweet little kiss on the forehead. Alex/Barney and their jokes about crowbars and crawling through ducts. Kliener and Lemar, or Kliener and Magnussun in EP2. And then there's the GMan. All great characters, who are more 'real' then any characters i've played with (bar in some rpg's).

Plus, Alex is great ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

€42.99 in HMV Tallaght today. Fair price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

hows the multiplayer? compared to BF2 or similar.

I dont like COD4 or UT too fast for an old man like me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

Just got it in smyths for 40.49 with loyalty card.

Auvers i played the multiplayer beta ,,seemed like bf2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Just finished it. More of a Farcry 1.5 but fun game till second set of bad guys show up then its down hill just like Farcry tho not to the extent of how bad the monkies were. Graphics are sweet but gameplay is bland and then some and the weapons really felt underpowered tho the option to customise then was cool. Maybe it was just me but it felt much shorter than Farcry and other recent fps games.

Overall worth a short if you have a brand new uber pc to show were all your cash went but nowhere near as good a Doom3 or HL2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Venom wrote: »
    Just finished it. More of a Farcry 1.5 but fun game till second set of bad guys show up then its down hill just like Farcry tho not to the extent of how bad the monkies were. Graphics are sweet but gameplay is bland and then some and the weapons really felt underpowered tho the option to customise then was cool. Maybe it was just me but it felt much shorter than Farcry and other recent fps games.

Overall worth a short if you have a brand new uber pc to show were all your cash went but nowhere near as good a Doom3 or HL2.

YOU MAD how was Doom3 "good"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

****... don't bring doom into this...

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Trying to keep my post on topic on here.... played some Crysis yesterday and its pretty good so far. Too early to cast judgment on it yet, although I have noticed some AI lapses which have broke the immersion factor for me on several occasions. Will comment more on it when I get further through the game.

And moving off topic again because I feel like it :D
    And Doom III wasn't that bad. Its a game I rate very high on atmosphere and did strike me with a good amount of apprehension when playing it but this required very confined and very restrictive repetitive gameplay.
    Was a good game but by no mean an all time great.

Just to address you Kiith, I'll stand by my comments that the end of HL2 E2 left me unmoved and with regards Alex I'm again rather indifferent to her.
    However I should not have grouped the G-Man in with the others. I do find him an interesting character and I pay particular attention to the game when he appears on screen. His presence alone in the background of the game is a great reminder that someone or something (good or evil) is guiding Gordon's actions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

on the subject of half life 2's story and characters.. the overall story is pretty cool yeah..... but I hated alex. Hated her so ****ing much, she got in the way, she never said anything worthwhile.. all she did was look at gordon with those doe eyes and that cracking ass.

worst character ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Mordeth wrote: »
    she got in the way, she never said anything worthwhile.. all she did was look at gordon with those doe eyes and that cracking ass.

Like any hot woman?

awhir wrote: »
    YOU MAD how was Doom3 "good"

It was good imho due to a perfect combination of story,graphics and sound just like HL and to some degree HL2 did. These games kept me 100% sucked in to them from start to finish which is something Crysis totaly failed to do.

Crysis falls short of greatness for so many reasons. It's AI is dreadful, vehicles use is blah and not nearly as fun as in Farcry and its story sucks ass, is dull and offers nothing new and at 1/4 the size of Farcry is way to short. Crysis is getting high makes for its graphics alone and I object to paying for nothing more than a benchmarking tool disguised as a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Venom wrote: »
    It was good imho due to a perfect combination of story,graphics and sound just like HL and to some degree HL2 did. These games kept me 100% sucked in to them from start to finish which is something Crysis totaly failed to do.

Crysis falls short of greatness for so many reasons. It's AI is dreadful, vehicles use is blah and not nearly as fun as in Farcry and its story sucks ass, is dull and offers nothing new and at 1/4 the size of Farcry is way to short. Crysis is getting high makes for its graphics alone and I object to paying for nothing more than a benchmarking tool disguised as a game.

Im guessing you haven't played Prey or Quake 4, both based on the Doom 3 engine and FAR superior games. I couldn't even complete Doom 3, I actually was yawning at some parts of it because it got so repetitive and boring. Maybe I shouldn't of tried playing it akimbo to Prey :rolleyes:

Although I will agree that Crysis is being overhyped, but unlike the Bioshock hype, its being hyped on the Crytek engine, something that, frankly, is stunning and will still be used in games 5 or 6 years from now. Nobody ever said the gameplay or storyline was going to be spectacular.

Crysis will truly come into its own with the sandbox editor, which is probably the most user friendly level designer i've ever seen. This is what will start to build a community around Crysis, much like CSS did.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Any comments on multiplayer?

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Im guessing you haven't played Prey or Quake 4, both based on the Doom 3 engine and FAR superior games. I couldn't even complete Doom 3, I actually was yawning at some parts of it because it got so repetitive and boring. Maybe I shouldn't of tried playing it akimbo to Prey :rolleyes:

Although I will agree that Crysis is being overhyped, but unlike the Bioshock hype, its being hyped on the Crytek engine, something that, frankly, is stunning and will still be used in games 5 or 6 years from now. Nobody ever said the gameplay or storyline was going to be spectacular.

Crysis will truly come into its own with the sandbox editor, which is probably the most user friendly level designer i've ever seen. This is what will start to build a community around Crysis, much like CSS did.

I played Quake4 and its was fun while it lasted. Never played Prey so cant comment. Having a good engine is all well and good but there should be a game in there as well and with Crysis the game is far to small in content to be considered a classic imho. Farcry like Crysis had a awesome engine but had HUGE amounts of gameplay to the extent I was shocked when I first played it to see that where I though it would end was not even half way through the game.

Your comment about the engine lasting 5 to 6 years tho is a tad on the generious side tho as I can honestly see far better graphic engines coming out in at least 1 year.

playing through it at the moment and loving it so far. Kinda not looking forward to when I meet up with the aliens as its supposed to go downhill from there.

The game looks simply stunning, really, i haven't been this impressed with a game since the first time I played HL2.

The RAM from my sig rig is being RMA'd atm, but I couldn't wait so I installed it on my HTPC which is a slightly lower spec (stock E6600, 2GB PC6400, 8800GTX) I managed to get the 8800GTX running stable at 640/2100. This is giving me an average of 23 fps with everything set to very high and 4x AA from the Crysis GPU benchmark in Vista x86. But this is more than enough, it runs really smooth at this low fps, which i'm surprised with. The engine for this game seems to be really well optimized.

Its the first game in a long time that as soon as i stop playing it i'm thinking about playing it again.

Screenshots really don't do it justice, as its the movement of the shadows and clouds and sunlight that makes it so realistic

My one gripe thus far is how difficult it is. I'm currently playing it at normal difficulty, and there have been some parts where you are out in the open against such overwhelming numbers of koreans that the only option is to run away, something I hate doing. I'm currently at a stage where i'm being shot at by 2 helicopters and my only weapon is an SMG and a hand gun. I've had to redo it maybe 4 or 5 times and still no luck.

Maybe its because I always take the less obvious route that I keep running into such opposition. At least with this game being true sandbox I can just go back and see if I can through using a different route.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I'm also loving it. Finding it really addictive. The combat is great fun and it looks absolutely stunning. Managing to run it on high detail and resolution with little slowdown. Looks great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

playing through it at the moment and loving it so far. Kinda not looking forward to when I meet up with the aliens as its supposed to go downhill from there.

The game looks simply stunning, really, i haven't been this impressed with a game since the first time I played HL2.

The RAM from my sig rig is being RMA'd atm, but I couldn't wait so I installed it on my HTPC which is a slightly lower spec (stock E6600, 2GB PC6400, 8800GTX) I managed to get the 8800GTX running stable at 640/2100. This is giving me an average of 23 fps with everything set to very high and 4x AA from the Crysis GPU benchmark in Vista x86. But this is more than enough, it runs really smooth at this low fps, which i'm surprised with. The engine for this game seems to be really well optimized.

Its the first game in a long time that as soon as i stop playing it i'm thinking about playing it again.

Screenshots really don't do it justice, as its the movement of the shadows and clouds and sunlight that makes it so realistic

It's a good looking game but you're overstating things by quite a bit. Stunning and realistic I don't think so - it looks like Far Cry but with more effects and polygons.

I'm the opposite of you, I find the game a bit on the tedious side. I can't shake the feeling I've played this game before...

Ardent wrote: »
    It's a good looking game but you're overstating things by quite a bit. Stunning and realistic I don't think so - it looks like Far Cry but with more effects and polygons.

I'm the opposite of you, I find the game a bit on the tedious side. I can't shake the feeling I've played this game before...

don't get me wrong, there are things about the graphics which do bug me. But every now and again you'll come across a panorama and it will be fault less, its the close up details that are really lacking.

The textures on rocks isn't the best, I don't like how you don't leave footprints in the sand or that when you shoot someone and when they die they don't bleed out onto the ground. Its irritating also that you can destroy nearly everything in a town, but the rickety perimeter fence is indestructable meaning you can't drive through it. I don't like that not all trees are destructable.

I don't find it tedious at all. A lot of the time you are given the option to use stealth, sneak in and complete your objective then sneak out or just go gung ho and blast your way through the camp. Maybe if you explained what exactly you find tedious.

The gameplay is, in the end of the day, a sequel to Far Cry, but this doesn't bother me as I loved far cry. It would actually be really good if Crytek rereleased Far Cry under the Crysis engine.

The AI is really starting to get to me.

A few examples. Mostly the regular solider have difficulty spotting you in cover.

However I see a Patrol boat out at sea a fair distance away. My head only sticking out just above some rocks and then Boom Headshot! Boat snipes me from half a mile away.
    Secondly helicopters can track and fire at you even in thick jungles with no line of site unless your cloaked which is abit annoying.
    Also sentry's in guard tower seem to have insanely good spotting range.
    Sentry's manning machine guns seem to be also able to spot you through dense tree lines.

The enemy driving vehicles struggles with pathing issues. Three times they have turned their jeeps into a tree and got stuck.
    AI soldiers can act strangely when you cloak in front of them. For example I cloak right in front of them about 3 feet away and they turn and shoot the opposite direction.
    I have broke one area of the game where I destroyed an outpost earlier than the game had intended me to. When I return latter all the AI soldiers I killed had returned but in a frozen state.
    I have also seen the AI walk straight off a destroyed bridge and fall to a watery death.

I'm willing to let some of slide as at least Crytek have some sort of AI that has as opposed to relying heavily on scripting like HL2 or the COD series do.

Still the AI bugs get to you after a while. Still gameplay is not too bad. Still think graphically its very impressive. Playing it on DX9 nearly everything high and without a doubt its the best looking game out their. Its well ahead of Far Cry, Doom or Half Life 2 in that department. Ground textures are great. Water is also very impressive. Large panoramic views from the tops of cliffs really are stunning. I don't know how some of you guys could not be impressed with from a graphical stand point.

The physics on the environment are pretty decent but their is no proper rag doll physics on enemy soldiers.

Story wise its okay nothing spectacular.

Still undecided on it as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I'm just dying for someone to create a Predator Mod for it :)

However I see a Patrol boat out at sea a fair distance away. My head only sticking out just above some rocks and then Boom Headshot! Boat snipes me from half a mile away.
    Secondly helicopters can track and fire at you even in thick jungles with no line of site unless your cloaked which is abit annoying.
    Sentry's manning machine guns seem to be also able to spot you through dense tree lines...

Ground textures are great. Water is also very impressive. Large panoramic views from the tops of cliffs really are stunning. I don't know how some of you guys could not be impressed with from a graphical stand point.

Agree with the first point, the AI definitely needs some work. The fact helicopters can track you in the forest is also very annoying, maybe they have a heat detecting scanner or something. Also I hate how enemy bad buys just seem to spawn from nowhere. I was traveling alongside a river, just after the bit where the demo ended and there was no one around. I get spotted by one guy and all of a sudden i'm surrounded by about 20 guards. I had to just leg it as I didn't have enough ammo.

In regards to the graphics, they are stunning, and you aren't even looking at them in DX10 at very high. Its probably what is letting me forgive the AI and gameplay so far. But the close up texturing could be a lot better. When you look at the grass and leaves you can see the jagged edge of the compressed textures. Also when you shoot at the ground, it doesn't leave a mark. Also, it would of been nice if everything was destructable. Allowing you to blow a hole in a concrete wall to make an exit. But I accept the hardware to process all this isn't there yet.

What I have noticed is they've put a lot of attention into the texturing of the people, specifically your squad members. They are almost photo realistic at times. but what i've found is that when you look at them in comparison to the compressed textured backgrounds it makes everything else look cartoony.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Sentry's manning machine guns seem to be also able to spot you through dense tree lines.

Exactly like Far Cry :/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i just turned on the dx10 options in xp... omfg, it looks amazing

i thought it looked great before that... but the grasss, the trees, the gun... the light coming in when you're underwater.. I'd almost just walk around and not bother with the shooting.

almost

Honestly Ciaran500 I never noticed that occurring in Far Cry and I played through the game at least twice on the highest difficulty levels. Played numerous levels and save game out of order and never noticed it. Not saying its not there but if it is there its no where near as obvious as Crysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭-TK^Creator

... when you shoot someone and when they die they don't bleed out onto the ground.

turn on the blood in the options menu, ur screen also gets blood on it when you get shot

also what thing are ppl using to record their fps in game? or are ppl using fraps? im jsut curios what fps im getting on high detail atm its grand playing but gets a bit slow so im think around the 25ish mark

• Advertisement

turn on the blood in the options menu, ur screen also gets blood on it when you get shot

also what thing are ppl using to record their fps in game? or are ppl using fraps? im jsut curios what fps im getting on high detail atm its grand playing but gets a bit slow so im think around the 25ish mark

I use the "r_display info 1" console command in crysis to display FPS. If you go into the bin32 folder there is a file called something like gpu_test.bat. Double click on it and it will load a benchmark level, I kept tweaking settings until I got a smooth FPS. Luckily I only had to turn the AA down a few notchs

Advertisement