Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for suggestions for a multifuel 'stove' for installation in a sitting room.

Options
  • 13-11-2007 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what people have seen or installed in terms of a closed, glass fronted unit

It should not require an electricity to use it
    by MF I mean coal turf, wood, but not pellets.

The fireplace/chimney etc is all there so minimum retro fit
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Have a look here www.mulberrystoves.com, AFAIK they are an Irish company. There are a number of other manufactuers, hope this gives you some ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

recently installed a m/f stove in my existing fireplace. my house is old and so is the flue so i lined it with a double walled flexi liner to prevent fumes entering the neighbours house trough cracks or holes that maybe there. i got everything needed in bohills in termonfecken in drogheda. they have a showroom in drogheda but the store for all the bits and pieces inc their range of stoves is out in the sticks in termonfecken. found them helpfull and good to deal with.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Funny enough, I'm thinking of getting a solid fuel stove also, considering a Stanley Oisin as the room isn't too big.

As the house is in build stage, the breast is still open.

I was considering just putting the stove inside the recess with the pipe from stove going up straight and into the existing new flue. However, I was wondering, would this cause problems when it comes to chimney cleaning time, as soot will just be brushed down from the stack and into the stove?

I presume it would be better to have a seperate sootbox, though I can't see how I can fit one or make room for one unless I have the stove in front of the breast and close up the fireplace recess. Any opinions or advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

recently installed a m/f stove in my existing fireplace. my house is old and so is the flue so i lined it with a double walled flexi liner to prevent fumes entering the neighbours house trough cracks or holes that maybe there. i got everything needed in bohills in termonfecken in drogheda. they have a showroom in drogheda but the store for all the bits and pieces inc their range of stoves is out in the sticks in termonfecken. found them helpfull and good to deal with.

Thanks ND; what make is it?: cant see them on www

my stove is a charnwood country 4. 4kw i think perfect for a small room.
    to close off the flue above the stove if installed in the fireplace a register plate is needed and a soot door installed over the stove in the brest, or you could fit a tee piece onto the back of the stove to allow the soot to gather there.
    in my case ive to rod the flue using flexable rods and allow the soot to fall into the stove and remove it that way, either way its a messy job.
    you cant just plonk the stove in the hearth and stick the flue off the stove up the chimney. this would result in lack of draw and soot raining down onto the top of the stove. the regester plate seals the gape of the existing chimney flue to that of the stove flue but a access door is needed to remove the soot that would sit on the top of the regester plate.
    if you put the stove out from the hearth and break into the house chimney up higher this would allow you to put a hatch in the gape of the fireplace which would be sealed unless cleaning. personally i think they look better set into the hearth as opposed to out from it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Hi northdublin ,sorry to highjack your thread, it seems they just put our stove in and put the flu up the chimney , there is a small amount of firecement on it but it looks like some has broken away, (stove was installed before we bought the house).

There is a good draw on it as it is , but im wondering what i can use to fill the gap at the flue where the cement has broken away , i read som mewhere about rockwool , can this be bought in small amounts or do i need to buy a big ass roll of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

I just installed a 9kw dru stove and find it great. installation was a cinch with a preexisting firepace.They are pricey though but have good draught control.
    I'm only burning compressed wood briquettes at the mo and find I only have to empty the ash tray every 5 fires or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

There is a good draw on it as it is , but im wondering what i can use to fill the gap at the flue where the cement has broken away , i read som mewhere about rockwool , can this be bought in small amounts or do i need to buy a big ass roll of it.

I would buy a small tub of fire cement and repair it. Rockwool would work but during the non heating season may get wet and rot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I installed a Mulberry Joyce last year and it the best thing ever. It's small but heats Sitting room 15'x14' and Kitchen 22'x15'. They're an Irish company but I think the stoves are made in China. Cost around €400.

fire cement would be the best option to repair around a flue or any part of a stove or fireplace. if its a large gap or space build it up gradually.
    the stove i fitted has a coal kit installed in it to allow me to burn coal. it can take a while to master the buning of a stove to not allow the glass to get too dirty. anyone have pics of their stoves? post them up, it might give others ideas about what the finished product looked like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

I was considering just putting the stove inside the recess with the pipe from stove going up straight and into the existing new flue. However, I was wondering, would this cause problems when it comes to chimney cleaning time, as soot will just be brushed down from the stack and into the stove?

not too sure bout your soot problem, but it isnt reccomended to have the stove inside the recess as with a stove the heat comes out all sides and you lose this when you do that, we had an open breast and decide to build it up an place the stove on a plinth bout a foot high just in front, this made installation easier with the flue and also helped the heat around the foom (the foom is double story in height so we needed as much help as possible.)

it depends on what size your stove is in relation to your room. the ratio of of heat given into a room is greater from a stove than an open fire even if the stove is in a recess. if it is installed in a recess a certain ammount of room on either side and on top of the stove is needed to allow the heat to radiate out. unlike an open fire the stove itself radiates heat due to its iron construction. you would get more heat from a free standing stove as opposed to one set into a fireplace, but if the room its in is not too big then it makes little differance.
    if you install the flue from the stove into an existing chimney, the fumes will carry on up and out the top but heavier deposits like soot will topple out of the stove flue and gather in the existing chimney breast. it is for this reason that you need a soot door to allow you to get a small shovel or vacum in to clear this out. if its left there it will build up and cause a chimney fire.
    when i rod my chimney the sooty deposits will fall into the stove allowing me to shovel them out from there.this is posible for me cause my stove flue is connected to a flexable liner the same diameter as my flue that goes from the stove flue to the chimney pot. so from my chimney pot ive one solid sealed flue to the back of my stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Vmaxer

I am also thinking of installing a stove because I find My open fire wastefull.
    The question I have to anybody who may have done this before is it possible to install a stove in front of an existing fireplace. The hearth on the fireplace measures 17 inches depth and I have solid timber floors in front of the hearth.
    The other question I have is will I have to line the flue all the way to the top of the chimney?

If anyone has done similar before and could post a Pic I'd appreciate it..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would buy a small tub of fire cement and repair it. Rockwool would work but during the non heating season may get wet and rot.
    If Rockwool rots I would like to see it.
    If you want a decent stove get a Morso.
    They come in some very nice finishes including sandstone which works as a heat store.

Advertisement