Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Metal-Heads Opinions?

• 13-11-2007 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

We're just tryin to get honest opinions of our music from people who know what they're talkin about, so just wondering what ye think?

www.myspace.com/indognation

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Hmmm, I like it quite a bit! Always love to hear Irish bands. Good stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Not bad at all.

There's some good riffs there, but the production lets it down. Vocals are a bit too high in the mix, in my opinion. I'd say once you get a proper album out, it'll be sounding very good there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

There are definitely some good riffs in there. I don't like the vocal style but that's just me. The mix is a bit funny to my ears. I'm not hearing any bass for some reason. How did you record the songs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭R0C0

Thanks guys! We recorded it in our guitarists house, sort of home studio. Considering it was free we're fairly happy, but I'll get onto the guys about some of the levels! I think the bass thing may have something to do with the speakers its played through but I'll see if we can do anything about that! Again.. thanks for the feedback!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

damm some really catchy stuff there, if the bass got thrown in there(no meat in the mix atm) and some of the doube kick was up higher and the vox turned down that **** would sound unreal.

Not a bad home mix, esp as its free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭nonamemark

Please keep it up lads, Galway badly needs some metal bands!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

from an old metaler(not any more) i'd say drop the death metal vibe and go with trash, music is pretty good, but the death style vocals don't suit it. With some "ordinary" vocals it would sound similar to old school Slayer, a sound unfortunately they themselves have lost(from what i remember)#

Keep it up though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Jack Vegas

By the sounds of it these lads don't want to sound like old school Slayer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Some great riffs, and a superb vocalist, but production is, well poo. I think you should also try to slow down the vocals, seem to be trying to say a lot of words very quickly at times, growls work far better when its slow imo, look at Mourning Beloveth (Cork death/doom metal band) to see how slow growls are really imposing and powerful. Definately keep it up though, good to have more death metal about, I advise you look into overoth and Condemned for some great local(ish, northern) death.

Overoth: http://www.myspace.com/overoth
    Condemned: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=58337314

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,635 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Definitely potential there. The vocalist clearly knows what he's doing, but I can't really hear much of what the instruments are doing to comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Man Overoth Are f*ckin class, Thanks for puttin up a link to them

Cool, thanks a lot for all the opinions guys, really appreciate it! How exactly do ye feel we could improve the production?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,635 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Kinda need to find out how ye recorded it in the first place. Were the guitars and bass DI'd or miced? I'm no sound engineer, but it kinda sounds like you just set a few mics up around the drumkit to record the drum tracks. Invest/borrow in a dedicated drum mic set, and a mixer with enough channels to set them up accordingly. I don't have any links about how to set up drum mics for recording, but it's more than simply placing mics near the appropriate drums.

Actually, ignore my tiredness induced ramblings. Get yer ass over here! ;)

For the drums we used a drum mic set, and two over heads! We EQ'd all them through the mixer, and then ran that into the computer! We were limited though in that the drums would only come out as a single track on the computer, ie. we couldn't go EQing or gating any individual drum or mic on the computer, so we EQ'd it as best we could before it went in, and obviously tried to get the best natural drum sound possible also before we EQ'd anything!

Thanks for the link! ;)

Advertisement