Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reckless drivers.

Options
  • 13-11-2007 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭

Can someone tell me why someone would be as tick as two planks to do this, sitting at a red light around 3 cars back from the lights, they go green next of all I just hear this roar from behind, an audi shoots up the outside blasts past the cars in front, causing everyone too have to stop.

Few things, I hope people like him either, smash into a car which has speed up too chatch the amber light. Or is either ment by a high preformance car which takes off rather quick.

Like what the hell... and these are the type of person to turn around and say
    'I am a safe driver'.

And I notice, that this always happens on the James Larkin road.

I have actually though of getting a windscreen camera too film some of the stuff I have seen, it is actually unbelievable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Sounds bizarre and certainly unsafe. Although he has no responsibility to drivers breaking the lights on the other side.

How did he know so far in advance that the light was going to change?

Where's the James Larkin Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I saw a taxi driver do something similar (and nearly caused a crash) on the Dartry Road one morning. I'm thinking of reporting him to the carriage office (I was able to get the taxi number off the yellow sign). Has anyone done this before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

I was driving to work about a month ago, going along the canal toward kilmainham. there is one set of lights where about 3 cars can stop and then there is a yellow box on the road to let traffic out from a side road.

A girl pull up to the yellow box from the slips road, all the space from the lights to the yellow box is full so she should have stayed where she was, or at most she could have crept her nose into the yellow box so to get behind the last car.

But no, she drives over the yellow box and turns left driving up the opposite side of the road, when she gets to the lights she stops the car on the wrong side of the road. I think to myself that she must be about to turn right so as not to cause too much of a problem. but on comes the left indicator.

I've never seen anythign as bad as that.

dudara wrote: »
    I saw a taxi driver do something similar (and nearly caused a crash) on the Dartry Road one morning. I'm thinking of reporting him to the carriage office (I was able to get the taxi number off the yellow sign). Has anyone done this before?
    www.taxiregulator.ie

They will be delighted to hear from you. I have successfully complained before and they were very helpful. Not sure how it works if you were not a passenger though.

I'm at a loss how these guys know so far in advance that the lights are changing though? Surely they would need a good deal of time to manouveur around the waiting cars?
    Noelie wrote: »
    I was driving to work about a month ago, going along the canal toward kilmainham. there is one set of lights where about 3 cars can stop and then there is a yellow box on the road to let traffic out from a side road....
    Beggars belief how these people continue to be allowed to drive. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Went on a drive, to get some food. Seen the exact same thing. except this time it was a hell of alot worse. red light three cars in front second of which was turning right, this person in front of me thinks it is wise to shoot out in front of my car undertake around 3 cars and swerve back in front of another motorist.

Extremely hazardous manoeuvre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭conneem-TT

The impatience of some drivers is really unbelivable.

Just on Saturday night, I was approaching a juction between a rural road and an N road with a minibus taxi stuck right to my bumper. It was nighttime and there was a car already at the juction waiting to turn right. The minibus decides to slip down the left side of us, half on te grass verge, looking as though he was going left, but as the car infront gets a chance to move out, the minibus goes left and does a rapid u-turn trying to basically skip the car, the car in front had to brake and hesitate in the middle of the road, which could have turned out very bad if there had been some traffic. Oh and Mr.Minibus did this all while being on the phone. I was also going right and could see him pass a few cars out obviously belting it up the road as I was doing the speed limit.

This type of thing really annoys me because a few miles up the road we entered my local town and he was only a few cars/yards infront of me.

Infact this wasn't the first time I saw someone do this. The previous week a car did exactly the same thing on the opposite side of the road.

I am actually incredulous at some of these stories. I never see anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Driving down a main road (Galway - Dublin). There's a right hand feeder lane coming off the road. Two cars in front of me and one behind me.

Just as we come up to the start of the right hand turn the car behind me starts overtaking as the first car starts indicating to turn right.

Cars were oncoming on the other side - they nearly caused a large crash!!

the car over taking was a cop car (no lights or sirens)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

ballooba wrote: »
    I am actually incredulous at some of these stories. I never see anything like that.

Well you must fall in to one of the following categories then
    1 driving in a different country
    2 in the back seat of a chauffeur driven limo
    3 your windows are so tinted you dont see anything
    4 permanenty chatting/texting on mobile
    5 featured in some of the above stories.:D

I must dig out some photos :eek:so you can see what we mean.

Like the OP I'd love to have a windscreen video so I could release my own video of "When Drivers Go BAD". (weekly)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

What always puzzles me is the knuckleheads who insist on staying in right hand lanes at junctions while intending to go straight on from the lights.
    A lovely example would be Dorset street and along Drumcondra in Dublin. If you consistently stay in the left hand lane were you should be for starters you'll pass by at least 7 to 10 vehicles at the lights. And no this is not undertaking..this is driving in the left hand lane where you should be and taking up proper position at trafficlights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

This happened yesterday evening when I was driving down Clonliffe road in the direction of Drumcondra.

Came to the junction with Jones Road, where I was in the left lane to turn onto Jones Rd.
    There were two other cars in front also turning left. The lights turned green and the first car started turning, when a small white vanette coming the opposite way down Clonliffe also starts turning right onto Jones road. He starts bulling his way in front of the second car making the left turn, even though we had the right of way.

Anyway, we are all then on Jones Road and one of the cars in front is making a right turn, so instead of waiting for the car to turn Mr White Van decides to undertake him ON THE FOOTPATH. He then proceeds to DRIVE ON THE FOOTPATH for about 100 yards even though he could have pulled back onto the road.
    He then swerves quickly back onto the road to avoid a bin on the footpath.
    Watching him driving up the road he was swerving all over the place. Maybe he was drunk. Or an idiot. Probably both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

OT (but worthy of of mention, in my opinion)

I'd like to commend the OP on spelling 'reckless' correctly.
    If everyone drove as it's usually spelt around here ('wreckless'), we could do away with all the speed limits/cameras/etc/etc and the roads would be all lollipops and rainbows for everyone. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Meet a fool like that on Monday. Heading home from work, was at a set of lights, filter lane for turning right, I was in the left lane for going straight / turning left. 1 car in front of me, car pulls up on right, no cars behind me. Light for heading straight goes green, car in front pulls away, as do I and also the gob****e beside me, I blew the horn to let the guy know that he was about to hit the side of my car, got the V sign, and loads of abuse, spitting blood he was. he had to pull in behid me then, otherwise one of us would have need to remove a traffic light to continue on. He the overtakes on a double white, cuts back in and looks to turn left. Because the was a funeral, traffic turning left has delayed, he then tries to pull out as I was passing, causeing me to sweave and brake, I look back to see if he had make contact, with that he jumps out and trys to kick the back of my car, He fell on his back when I pulled away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I saw a woman drive up the M50 yesterday reading a document she had held on the steering wheel with one hand and with her other hand on her phone up to her ear!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Is there a number you can call or text with regards to drivers like this?
    I've had to contend, on two occasions over the last couple of weeks, with crazy, reckless drivers and would love to have reported them both.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Traffic Watch on 1890 205 805, although I've read some reports in the press of it's demise, due to misuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

My work had me driving around Dublin for almost 4yrs, and you do actually get to know the light sequences and how long they take to change. Bit risky chancing it though, as you never know when a Dublin Bus is going come flying thru a junction upto 3/4 secs after the light has gone red. Does not seem like a long time, but trust me, its a scary sight.

Just so people know. overtaking on the left is the correct thing to do when a car is turning right (wihtout mounting the pavement of course). When turning right you should keep right. There just seems to be a lot of mention of undertaking on this thread. Overtaking on the left is correct in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm at a loss how these guys know so far in advance that the lights are changing though? Surely they would need a good deal of time to manouveur around the waiting cars?

I usually find I can see when the traffic light goes amber for the other cars and that allows me to be in gear when the lights go green. I always wait for my light to actually turn green though. I often see people do similar to me in watching the other person's lights, but end up "breaking the green light" by moving off before our side has turned green. It's fairly dodgy as traffic lights don't always follow the exact same sequence (especially if there are filter lights) and I've often seen people get caught out by this and end up half way into the junction before realising...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Was driving in a road with 2 lanes of traffic, I was in the right lane for going straight ahead, beside was a lane for people turning left ahead.

The car in front of me was driving quite slowly (about 30km in a 50 zone) so I was keeping back, however, the car behind me was clearly impatient and started tailgating me, until they decided they'd had enough and pulled into the left lane speeding up to undertake myself and the car in front- just as the car in front pulls into the left lane without indicating (still at 30km/hour).

Cue slamming of breaks and blaring of horns. Just as this happened a bus started pulling in and two cars overtook the bus before it had pulled in fully and didn't see the two cars til the last second. More breaking and horns. I don't know how they didn't all collide!

• Advertisement

Stark wrote: »
    I usually find I can see when the traffic light goes amber for the other cars and that allows me to be in gear when the lights go green. I always wait for my light to actually turn green though. I often see people do similar to me in watching the other person's lights, but end up "breaking the green light" by moving off before our side has turned green. It's fairly dodgy as traffic lights don't always follow the exact same sequence (especially if there are filter lights) and I've often seen people get caught out by this and end up half way into the junction before realising...
    I watch the other light too. It wouldn't give you enough time to pull out and manouveur around three cars though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Meet a fool like that on Monday. Heading home from work, was at a set of lights, filter lane for turning right, I was in the left lane for going straight / turning left. 1 car in front of me, car pulls up on right, no cars behind me. Light for heading straight goes green, car in front pulls away, as do I and also the gob****e beside me, I blew the horn to let the guy know that he was about to hit the side of my car, got the V sign, and loads of abuse, spitting blood he was. he had to pull in behid me then, otherwise one of us would have need to remove a traffic light to continue on. He the overtakes on a double white, cuts back in and looks to turn left. Because the was a funeral, traffic turning left has delayed, he then tries to pull out as I was passing, causeing me to sweave and brake, I look back to see if he had make contact, with that he jumps out and trys to kick the back of my car, He fell on his back when I pulled away.

Shocking behaviour allright, sounds like a real ignoramus! I like the end of your story though. And to think you would have been in the wrong if you had reversed over him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Shocking behaviour allright, sounds like a real ignoramus! I like the end of your story though. And to think you would have been in the wrong if you had reversed over him.

It was bad alright. I would not consider myself a big bloke, but I was actually scared, this probably had more to do with the fact it was near a halting site and I had a feeling he may have lived there. Still waiting to hear back from the Guards.

Advertisement