Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I'm moving to Cork.....

Options
  • 13-11-2007 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭

Allright
    It seems that I'll be moving to Cork in December. And from what I can see it's a grand city, I've allready located my regular tavern and a very fine kebab house. The thing is, I have no notion about where to live.
    What I do know is that I'm going to be working in the Toyota garage on the Kinsale Road. So Im going to need a place with a car parking space. Ideally I'd like to live within walking distance of the city centre, but my first priority is to be able to get into work in the morning without having to sit in traffic for an hour. So guys, where would you recomend?
    P.S. I'm going to be looking for a house share.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

OMG It's Father Liam Finnegan!

You mean Kearys? You're kinda caught there, cos it's not really on the Kinsale Road at all, it's in an industrial area next to the dual carriageway and all routes around there will be busy in the mornings and evenings. Your best bet is probably Togher though, or the Kinsale Road side of Grange.

Welcome to the People's Republic btw.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Closest to Keary's is probably (as Adam has said) the Kinsale road side of Grange. There's quite a few estates that are walking distance from the garage. Grange isn't walking distance to the city centre though. Grange, Togher or even somewhere on Sarsfields Road. Wilton is probably pushing it a bit but it's not too far out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭babyguinnessfan

Welcome O Dancing Priest...

Agree with the above. Kearys is kind of tucked away parallel to the dual carriageway on the side leading from Douglas to Wilton - next to one of the busiest roundabouts - Kinsale Road roundabout. Traffic is usually brutal there in the mornings - especially (as far as I can see as I am heading over the flyover towards Wilton in the mornings) from Douglas/Rochestown/Jack Lynch tunnel side. I don't know about coming down from Grange but you won't be stuck for hours either way. There's always traffic there but obviously nowhere near like Dublin standards. I'd say any estate in Grange or else maybe somewhere like Eagle Valley in Wilton area.
    Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭babyguinnessfan

P.S. - forget about your fine kebab emporium - go to KCs chipper in Douglas...

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Coming down Grange hill is mental in the morning aswell, on a bad day the traffic going down the hill will actually meet the traffic backed up from the Donnybrook end of the road. But Grange is prob the handiest place, anywhere the Kinsale road side of the church and you could walk to work. And there are a few bus stops along that road going to town. Togher or Turners Cross would involve crossing the Kinsale road, you'd get tired of that very quickly...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

I'd recommend Turner's Cross or The Lough for being walkable from the city centre and not too far to drive from the Toyota garage. AFAIK, you can drive there from that part of town, avoiding both the South Ring and the Kinsale Road roundabout, by using the Togher/Pouladuff overpass. Mind you, that probably gets jammed in the mornings too. Anyone here drive around there at rush hour?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

the pouladuff overpass is nuts at most times of the day going Away from forge hill. seems ok in the other direction though.

a house in frankfield would let you walk to work.

i have walked to town many a time from grange, but it takes the guts of an hour and walking home doesnt happen coz of the ginormous hill.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

oh forgot to say. buy a motorbike and you can live anywhere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Tree wrote: »
    the pouladuff overpass is nuts at most times of the day going Away from forge hill. seems ok in the other direction though.

a house in frankfield would let you walk to work.

i have walked to town many a time from grange, but it takes the guts of an hour and walking home doesnt happen coz of the ginormous hill.

There are some nice big new housing estates in the Frankfield area too, very close to Keary's. Now that the Kinsale Rd Roundabout is no longer the nightmare that it used to be, it is well worth considering this area.

By the way, where is the kebab house you found? I have never found a good kebab in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Illkillya wrote: »
    By the way, where is the kebab house you found? I have never found a good kebab in Cork.

Remember "Sevens" in Winthrop Street (I think)? A few years ago now...

(Sorry off topic)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭SMM

Hi,

Definitely has to be frankfield. If you work in Kearys then it shouldn't take you long to get to work in rush hour traffic(15 mins maybe) or you could walk in 5 minutes. I live there myself and I find that rent is fairly cheap. All the houses are pretty new so you should get a double room for about €75 with a parking space. A car is essential though as the bus isn't the greatest. You're 5 minutes drive down the link to the city and within close proximity to KCs, probably the best take away in the world! Easy...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

A place that's walking distance from the city centre but also guarantees not being stuck in traffic is pretty much an impossibility unfortunately - given where Kearys is. You'll need to make a choice really: if you prioritise the city centre thing, definitely Turner's Cross, Friar's Walk, South Douglas Road (a bit of a longer walk but by no means far). If you prioritise the traffic thing, Grange/Frankfield definitely.
    And yes indeed, a very warm welcome to da People's Republic! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

If you are coming down from Dublin you will find traffic in Cork isn't that bad, unless some ejit crashes into the tunnel or something. I live in St Lukes and it takes me about 20 mins to get to where you're going each morning. And St Lukes is on the far side of the river!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

SMM wrote: »
    A car is essential though as the bus isn't the greatest.

I thought there was a no.6 bus every 10/15 minutes? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Illkillya wrote: »

The one on Western Road, at the gates to UCC is excellent.

theoretically the six goes every ten mins up till about nine o clock when it goes every fifteen and then every twenty. sadly, manys the time i have been left waitng up to forty minutes for a bus that should have been there w/i ten mins. frankfield is a shorter walk into town than grange. prolly about a half hour or less if you can travel faster than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

dudara wrote: »
    The one on Western Road, at the gates to UCC is excellent.

Seconded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

for getting to work frankfield by fat the easiest for you. Theres a really big estate called parkgate that seems full of houses that are rented. No 6 bus to town from there goes every ten minutes too. welcome to Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

You should get a hot air balloon so as to avoid the traffic, works for me,even though i have no job

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

Get a bicycle!! Quickest way to get around the capital!

• Advertisement
Advertisement