Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Nuvi 250W Europe, €230 on Komplett - A Bargain ?

Options
  • 13-11-2007 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

The Garmin Nuvi 250W Europe is currently available for €230 on Komplett - http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=339301.

I'm seriously thinking of ordering one of these in the next few days*. For the money it seems to be an excellent choice. It doesn't really matter to me that theres no massive feature list on this model - if the maps are up to date and it brings me where I want to go I don't really care if it doesn't have an integrated hair dryer etc.

- Some points [please point out any errors or ommissions and I'll edit in changes]

Pros:

This unit seems to share a display with the top of the range Garmin product set ie. a bright high quality, high-res 4.3" display, which is reportedly excellent.

SiRF star III - ie. robust & ultra quick [*EDIT, NB - Theres rumours that some 250's are shipping with a Bravo chipset ???]

More intuitive/user friendly than most of its rivals.

NavTeq mapping

Cons: [*Note cons all seem to be because this is a pared down GPS at a competitive price - so seems ok]

No Text To Speech (TTS) - Nice to have this, but do you really care ???
    No Bluetooth - Again, is this worth having ???

- Also based on the above please I'd appreciate it if ye could suggest any other products which might be worth a look in this price-range or for a small bit more ca$h.

* I keep reading on the Web that if you do not register this until after the next map update you will get a copy the newest software free of charge ??? - Any confirmation/advice appreciated. This is obviously critical as City Navigator V10 is due any day now...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Thats def a good price for the 250W, I had the standard 250 and found it an excellant piece of kit. It does have voice directions, but not down to road names. TBH I felt that was enough. No bluetooth, well, that certainly isn't a deal breaker in my book. I'm waiting till Christmas for my next purchase soley because of the map issue. Until I see retailers advertising the V10 maps I'm not willing to chance it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

FYI - Pixmania are quoting €210 (+ 12.90 delivery)

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/570650/art/garmin/nuvi-250w-gps-europe.html

db.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

FYI - there's an in-depth review of the nuvi250W here:

http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2007/06/garmin_nuvi_250w_review.php

It's for the US model but still useful.

db

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

Thats not bead - I paid €250 for it in Harvey Norman a few months ago and I see some UK shops here advertising it as on sale for €250 reduced from €300 but Ive been looking at it for a few months in shops and I never saw it on sale for €300.
    The map on my one is pretty bad though - its well over 2 years old and there is no updates available yet. Many of the new roads/places/addresses arent on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    FYI - Pixmania are quoting €210 (+ 12.90 delivery)

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/570650/art/garmin/nuvi-250w-gps-europe.html

db.
    Damn pixmania, they've put it back up to €222, might leave it closer to Christmas to purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭dfcelt

Fletch,
    Just to let you I just purchased one on pixmania. Mainly for our trip to France next summer. They have a fantastic deal for it plus France Voyage guide for 1euro extra! Usually in excess of 100euro. Got a usb cable as well. Once recieved & up and running I'll let you know what I think.

So the breakdown on pixmania will be:

GARMIN Nüvi 250W GPS Europe + France Voyage Guide
    Quantity € 223 Inc. VAT

Zen Engagement - Nüvi 250W GPS Europe + France Voyage Guide

Choose the Zen Engagement and take advantage of loads of services!
    A refund in case your product malfunctions, product trade-ins, accessories at great prices, etc.
    ( Find out more )
    € 20,98 Inc. VAT
    This is a joke imo, no way to remove it either, surely the manufacturers warranty would be enough :mad:

GARMIN PC USB Cable
    Quantity € 18 Inc. VAT

Standard delivery with Parcelforce (4-5 days) :
    (Change the delivery method)
    € 12,90 Inc. VAT
    Total of your order:
    € 274,88 Inc. VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

dfcelt wrote: »
    Choose the Zen Engagement and take advantage of loads of services!
    A refund in case your product malfunctions, product trade-ins, accessories at great prices, etc.
    ( Find out more )
    € 20,98 Inc. VAT
    This is a joke imo, no way to remove it either, surely the manufacturers warranty would be enough :mad:

That can be removed no problem, it's just they make it a bit tricky so people won't be bothered. Ask for a refund on it if you want, i'm sure they would oblige

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

Komplet usb cable euro35 is this for real ? DFcelt is that offer still available?

Yep, you just have to add on the usb cable (half the price of Komplett as mentioned above)

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/577097/art/garmin/nuvi-250w-gps-europe-fran.html?itag=9698

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

How can you know which version of the map is installed?

It is 230 on Komplett but if I need to pay 60 e for a map updagte, it changes everything

• Advertisement

I just recieved this in the post lads. Well impressed on first impressions. According to settings, current maps are "City Navigator Europe NT 2008"
    2 questions for ye:
    Are these the most recent mapsor should I hold off on registering?
    If I hook it up to my PC does this also charge the unit?

Thanks

Cheers Bedlam, currently downloading vehicle bundles off Garmin site.
    I'm such a big child :o

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I just recieved this in the post lads. Well impressed on first impressions. According to settings, current maps are "City Navigator Europe NT 2008"
    2 questions for ye:

Thanks

Its interesting to see that the nuvi 250 is now also coming with the very latest maps. City Navigator Europe NT 2008 is still not available as an update dvd.

That even makes it a better deal, considering there are some reports circulating that Garmin will not be offering the update dvd disc FOC this time around. Mind you this HAS NOT been confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Its interesting to see that the nuvi 250 is now also coming with the very latest maps. City Navigator Europe NT 2008 is still not available as an update dvd.

If I buy the 250 off komplett, will it have the nt 2008 installed?

What is the point of buying the latest models then? (710, 750, ..)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

2 questions for ye:

Thanks

Hi,

So what are your impressions of this so far? What's the Map coverage like? I'm interested in getting a GPS but only if it covers Ireland with relatively good detail.

Also, can you add POI's to it yourself? I.e Can you setup POI's for places you visit often?

John,
    Used it a good bit this weekend, well impressed. I do a lot of mileage & quite a bit of it off the beaten track. 2 things I noticed yesterday: The recently opened new stretch of dual carriageway to Newry is not on it which is annoying & a country road south of the border after Forkhill doesn't exist :rolleyes: yet other minor roads in its vicinity do. Adding poi's is simple to do. All in all a v.good first satnav imo.

Advertisement