Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halifax Current Account for a Student

Options
  • 13-11-2007 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hey all,
    I am with the AIB at the moment but i want to switch my account to Halifax mainly because of the Visa Debit Card. I work part-time at the weekends and was just wondering would I avail of getting a Halifax account? I know you need a regular income but I am also getting the Maintenance Grant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

They may give it to you, but I wouldn't think you would fall into their key demographic at the moment.

You've got nothing to loose by applying anyway.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Why do you need a regular income to get a debit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Hey all,
    I am with the AIB at the moment but i want to switch my account to Halifax mainly because of the Visa Debit Card. I work part-time at the weekends and was just wondering would I avail of getting a Halifax account? I know you need a regular income but I am also getting the Maintenance Grant.

If you have a current account and the banks stats show no refferal fees you should get it. The visa debit is a good idea but was introuduced into the market too early. Visa international are over fixing the problem with retailers at the mo and will be issuing fines to those that dont update there software before Feb. I have one and it works great online and no prob so far at ATMs. No fees either:)
    Apply in branch as you will actually have a better chance of getting it!

The reason you need a regular income is because of the card itself. Its a visa card. I know it rediclious but I can see where they are coming from in terms of risk to bad debts. Also other banks regulations which I could not bother going into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

jayteecork wrote: »
    Why do you need a regular income to get a debit card?

Because if you have a regular income there is a good chance that your not a robbin scumbag, who at the first opportunity might try to pull a fast one (i.e attempt a fraud on the debit card). It's also a risk measure to mitigate the presence of older IT system that do not automatically post a transaction to your account. AIB actually have a very good debit card IT system. Any transactions (and subsequent ones) are taken off your cleared balance only. The same can't be said for the rest of the banks and so to mitigate risk, they must impose appropriate measures.

Advertisement