Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BA Comp Sci Job Prospects

Options
  • 13-11-2007 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what kind of job your hoping to get when you finish this course?
    Or what kind of job has anyone who finished this course already got?

(Obviously I know probably something in computers, not that stupid, but what would you particularly like to do?)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm going for the fire service :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Haha really?

Yep! Bit pointless having a degree, but oh well! I'm sure others are putting theirs to better use :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭dhaddock

eh java contractor or computer consultant would be the most obvious ones.

I woulda thought BSc graduates would get first dibs there though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭dhaddock

well im gonna do the single major BA and we do the same modules as the BSc guys except for a couple of maths modules in first and second year so i would rank the degrees the same. Even if your doing a joint major, have you ever looked at the job websites and searched java?? there are so many companies looking for java programmers so i dont think there will be any "dibs" - we will all get a shot :D Most dont specify whether a BSc or a BA is necessary they want "Degree level or higher in Computer Science or related discipline".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

dhaddock wrote: »
    eh java contractor or computer consultant would be the most obvious ones.
    Rarely does anyone go directly from college into contracting.

Firstly, you'll be up against stiff competition from guys with experience.

Secondly, it's dangerous for your career as employers aren't interested in developing their contract staff and normally what you start off contracting in is what you end up doing for the rest of your IT career.

Didn't any companies come around to UCD on the milk round?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I'd imagine it depends on your degree when you've finished. If you get a good degree in a BA it'll be fairly clear that you know your stuff. I'd presume if you were to finish the 4 years as well it's a good indication that you're able to handle things.
    Personally, I've not actually looked into it much yet, should probably get my skates on :p

The clock is ticking! Career, mortgage, responsiblity! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Well I'm only in 1st year so no major decisions head of me just yet..

Personally I don't really know what I want to do, and tbh I don't see that being a problem. Programming, software development and hardware are all IT areas I'd potentially be interested in.. but i don't feel tied down by my degree tbh, i can just as easily see myself doing something quite unrelated..

• Advertisement

Reason I asked was because to be honest I have absoloutley no interest in the programming side of things.
    I'd much rather go into Web Design or something like that.
    Is there anyone else looking to go into this?

Frisbee wrote: »
    Reason I asked was because to be honest I have absoloutley no interest in the programming side of things.
    I'd much rather go into Web Design or something like that.
    Is there anyone else looking to go into this?

Your by no means tied down to programming anyway.. Ok yes alot of us will possibly end up as code monkeys, but there are plenty of other IT jobs that you'll be well primed for with this degree.. yes you could do Web Design.. UCD do a postgrad Multimedia course actually, if that appeals to you..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Are you actually in the course or just thinking of taking it?
    If you're not interested in programming then I wouldn't imagine this will be the course for you. Of course programming isn't the only career course available after you finish the degree, but if you don't want to code then it's probably not the kinda degree that you'd want to go through anyway. Other than the Web Multimedia course in second year it's a lot of coding and a good bit of computer related maths.

Oh yeah sorry, I was thinking of someone already taking this course.. Yeah if your not in college yet, there are much better courses you can take if your not into programming..

No Im already doing the degree. In second year. I really like the Web Multimedia module and have full marks in everything in it so far nearly. Whereas Im terrible in the practicals for Datastructures and Algorithms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Sweeno

currently repeating second year in dliadt multimedia progrmming~ thinking of dropping out and going for computer science in dit, the multimedia course is boring enough its basically programing for the internet, flash,photoshop,dreamweaver etc. java is done but then it goes ito jsp for the web, Web design is not why i wanted to do this course but it seems to be what the course is totally geared towards

Frisbee wrote: »
    No Im already doing the degree. In second year. I really like the Web Multimedia module and have full marks in everything in it so far nearly. Whereas Im terrible in the practicals for Datastructures and Algorithms
    Same :( Databases sucks too.

Completely agreeing with you. If I dont pass this year will prob leave for Tallaght IT...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

I'm actually planning to do a MCSE course after i finish my degree (also possibly a ccna) and going into system administration side of things/ In house support for a company (what i have been doing part time). It's somethign that interests me..for the moment.

I can probably see myself doing something in a completly different line of IT at some point however.

ye im not into the programming either, liked it last year but this year practcials and lectures are just completely unrelated compared to last year.I can understand the theory of everything so far in datastructures but just cannot code.I heard u can get very very good jobs in the database field

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

(on a year out between 3rd and 4th BSc here - currently being a lazy bitch in my sucktastic tech support job, fook getting up at 6am to be in work for 8)

2nd year is crap when you're doing it, but it does stand to you. Seriously, if you do put the effort in with data structures it really helps with your programming other things. Also, put the effort in with your project. Unlike what seems to be quite a few of you guys, I don't hate programming - but I'm gonna have to do a massive revision before I go into 4th year because I'm so out of practise now! I'm actually planning to grab some programming books and start learning some random stuff before I go into 4th year.

Also... pro tip: MMOs in 3rd year, don't do it. 47% in 3rd year here, if it wasn't for World of Warcraft that would have been about 20-25% higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

WOW is evil, i found it during my leaving cert :(

Advertisement