Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Accounting work experience

• 13-11-2007 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hey, I'm doing an accountancy course and looking to get some work experience on my cv. Does anyone know any places apart from the big 4 that would take me for one or two weeks at this time of year?

I considered internships but they're not till Summer.

I know this is actually a busy tax time of year... so even December would do.

Suggestions greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭seanieclarke

ive a thread on something similar, except im looking for somethin during the summer. ive emailed a few places but no replies at all.

id say u wud ave to ring a couple of places to get immediate feedback. im sure some people can recommend a place to try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Gibbins123 wrote: »
    Hey, I'm doing an accountancy course and looking to get some work experience on my cv. Does anyone know any places apart from the big 4 that would take me for one or two weeks at this time of year?

I considered internships but they're not till Summer.

I know this is actually a busy tax time of year... so even December would do.

Suggestions greatly appreciated

I think you would need to be very very lucky to get something like that!

Nowhere is gonna take you for just two weeks. Even if you work for nothing you would probably still be more of a hindrance than a help(not you personally Gibbins, but as you probably know when you enter a new work environement your not really very useful right away).

Concentrate on getting somewhere for the summer...it wont make that much of a difference to employers doing two weeks now if you work the summer. If your doing for some cash just get a job anywhere for two weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

McDonald's !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gibbins123

Mc Donald's. I could count burgers all day to practice my number skills, and work out on average how many people who buy burgers will also buy drinks... you'd have to concentrate so hard...

Ah i think mc donalds would be too difficult to work in.

Transition year students do one weeks work experience, people on certificate courses have to do one or two weeks, FAS course people have to do 3 weeks.

So if those lot can do it, I figure somewhere will take me for one or two weeks!

If anyone can suggest a place thats nice to work in? i'm staying away from tiny firms with just a few old men working in them. it'd b so dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 pnjones

You should start small, prove yourself by setting up a small business completing vat returns for sme or sole traders. Many companies will just want the cash book written up and the vat position / paye clarified each month.

You could fit this in around your study and you could complete the work via email in most cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gibbins123

i applied to one place...and got it. 2 weeks early next year. yay!

That will do me for now, and then I'll see about doing an internship for the summer, or at least working in an office.

At interviews they ask if i ever worked in an office, and i haven't! so need to get that sorted.

Does anyone know of accountancy firms in Galway? i'd love to live there for the summer and do an internship. I don't think theres any big ones really is there?

Thanks for all the replies!

Advertisement