Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing from Dublin???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Lilian

If you see a french dude smashed by the waves and a black Yaris parked that means we're there. Can't wait to be there and try my new surfboard !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭conman78

Would be keen to hear if was any good. Might be bit of a wrap around swell but not too much. 1 - 2 footers at best I'd say! Enjoy though if its good. Think tomorrow and Friday look reasonably better but tis fickle weather out there!!

hope it will be was there 2 weeks ago and there was waves but really messy, magic sea weed gives 2 stars for this evening,finger cross !
    heading off in <snip - MCD reference - sorry ! - c - 13> this week end , hope there will be some waves at least there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napapa

any decent waves in MM yesterday???

There was some actually,has been there surfing between 7 and 8.30 pm ,
    waves were coming by sets of 2 or 3 every 2 or 3 minutes.
    approximately 10 to 15 people were there.
    I was able to catch few ones,unfortunately very close to the shore so didn't stand for so long on the board.
    There were 2 or 3 guys who were there who were able to catch from further and got longer rides.
    It thing it was worth the drive from Dublin after work to get into the water.

• Advertisement

Today looking good too. Fri sat and sun should be plenty of waves round Killiney & MM. Mind need to find a sheltered spot at low tide though! A good excuse for an eary rise on the weekend maybe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

napapa wrote: »
    any decent waves in MM yesterday???

With the operative word being decent, then the answer was no. Small was an understatement.

K-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭will3k

Alot of wind out there for the next couple of days, and predictions if MM would be worth a go tonight + tomorrow? :confused:

Also can someone set me straight, what tide is best for MM? I've found pushing -> high makes for more power + better shape, but can get bit closed out.

Found usually mid on an incoming works pretty well too. But if there's any sort of wave there its a bonus.
    Loads of waves from today on. Killiney was quite big this morn, 4 - 6 ft at times but heavy onshore. White rock was breaking nicely, more sheltered, one guy out in the p1ssing rain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭will3k

conman78 wrote: »
    Found usually mid on an incoming works pretty well too. But if there's any sort of wave there its a bonus.
    Loads of waves from today on. Killiney was quite big this morn, 4 - 6 ft at times but heavy onshore. White rock was breaking nicely, more sheltered, one guy out in the p1ssing rain!

Thanks Conman, sent you a PM. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 milka

lightening wrote: »
    Lovely clean waves rolling in on Dollymount strand on Sunday (9th Dec). I had a ball, perfect longboard fun. They were coming in in sets, the largest were about four and a half foot. I took some photos, will post them up later. It was really cold though.

Does Dollymount get much surf? I never heard of surfing in Dublin before? Just moved to Dublin and being far away from surf is killing me!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

Mahermore was pretty good from what I saw on Sat. I just had a look, wasn't out in it, but it seemed pretty decent. Definitely well suited to beginners, waves seemed pretty clean and slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭dutchgoldtony

phil wrote: »
    Mahermore was pretty good from what I saw on Sat. I just had a look, wasn't out in it, but it seemed pretty decent. Definitely well suited to beginners, waves seemed pretty clean and slow.

Not really! Looked pretty harmless but could have been pretty nasty for an absolute beginner. There was a really strong northerly current + winds trying desperately to drag me onto the rocks at the south = no fun!

Got out after playing the whole "Catch one wave, get out, walk back to the north end of the beach and repeat" game a few times and tried Brittas for a look. Pretty much the same story though, sat outside for about 2 minutes and had drifted a quarter mile down the beach!
    Not my day...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

milka wrote: »
    Does Dollymount get much surf? I never heard of surfing in Dublin before? Just moved to Dublin and being far away from surf is killing me!

No really to be honest. I live very near it so I keep an eye on it. If you get very strong northerly winds there tends to be waves. Portmarnock is a better bet though.

Yeah, mentioned way back in this thread.For safety reasons avoid MM or brittas on a northerly. Several other beaches in the Dublin/Wicklow area that are much better and safer in those conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

I was out at the headland in Portrane (north of Donabate Beach) on Saturday morning. There was a 35-40 knot northerly wind, but when I drove on a bit further to the car park I saw some lovely clean waves peeling around the headland, sheltered from the wind by the headland. I was kicking myself that I had not brought my surfboard with me, just my windsurfing kit. I took a photo on my phone which I'll try and upload.

Has anyone ever surfed there before? Maybe there are rocks or strong currents, but it looked great from the car park.

Incidentally, some friends went to MM on Saturday and had a nightmare, very strong currents and they had to help resuce some guy off the rocks.

I later saw some kids boby boarding in the little harbour in Rush, some nice waves in there, and some massive waves crashing onto rock furhter out which were dramatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭eamonnm79

here are some photos of bray last friday afternoon.
    Bray works best on northerlies.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/30328802@N04/

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

anyone been to mm over the weekend? do you think its worth the trip tomoro?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Yeah, it was worth the trip today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Folks,

did anyone go out yesterday (Sunday 19th) and anyone planning on heading down this evening?

Wind seems a bit nuts for the conditions to be any good so any feedback on yesterday would be appreciated.

K-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

I was in Killiney last night and this morning before college. Last night was pretty big but the sun going down coincided with the tide going out so i had to get out of the water when I couldnt see anything. The winds were mad this morning and was forcing teh waves to dump but a few waves were to be had. Better than the gym any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Baluka

Anyone heading out this evening? Was going to head to Killiney after work

MM was ok yday, needed bit of patience but worth getting wet for. Killiney tides not out til well after dark, winds looking wrong for there too! But if not far to go why not have a gander!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Griff77

Anyone been out lately? All this north easterly wind may get Portmarnock working...

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Morf3h

Killiney will be good this eve around 7-8pm. Checked it out on my way home from work around 4 and there was swell but no waves yet. Give it a few hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭smythire

Morf3h wrote: »
    Killiney will be good this eve around 7-8pm. Checked it out on my way home from work around 4 and there was swell but no waves yet. Give it a few hours

good work on the MASSIVE shout out!! keep on driving that way and tell the people...i am going to check it out early tomorrow morning.

smythire wrote: »
    good work on the MASSIVE shout out!! keep on driving that way and tell the people...i am going to check it out early tomorrow morning.

No worries. Had probably my best surf in Dublin last night. Bit of a noob on my 9"6 but conditions were perfect! Gonna drop by later around 4 to check again

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭MarkHobBray1977

surfed in Bray today..will post pics later....was good !

Just checked Killiney it's gonna be nice later i reckon. There was a similar swell to yesterday coming in. Low tide's at 8.30 ish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭MarkHobBray1977

WAS IN KILLINEY AT 7ISH TODAY , WAS NOT GREAT :(

Advertisement