Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is our best local product?

• 13-11-2007 4:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭

As football special keeps getting mentioned, is it our favourite/best local product? I think it is.

What else can you think of?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

better say the wife:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

shiibata wrote: »
    better say the wife:D
    Creep. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭muffler

smashey wrote: »
    As football special keeps getting mentioned, is it our favourite/best local product? I think it is.

What else can you think of?
    Thread a la Paddy20

Aye but with a positive attitude.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

when i read the title of this thread, the first thing i though was, Football Special.

On a similar note, the people who make FS (McDaids) have been developing a micro-brewery, can you imagine a FS tasting beer. I may never be sober again:D

• Advertisement

Senna wrote: »
    when i read the title of this thread, the first thing i though was, Football Special.

On a similar note, the people who make FS (McDaids) have been developing a micro-brewery, can you imagine a FS tasting beer. I may never be sober again:D
    I'd bathe in it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

muffler wrote: »
    Thread a la Paddy20

Yep, Donegal Country Products set up by the Gillespie family, Bacon, Ham, cheese, cooked roast beef joints etc, deserve a mention as they have marketed their products North & South without a grant from any state agency.

Well done to them. and Bonnar/Bonner Enginering in Letterkenny, all from Donegal Street, Ballybofey, especially Patrick,& Joseph in Letterkenny whose products are sold worldwide, and lets not forget Charlie who ran the forge in Donegal St, and has become a manufacturer of repute apart from now owning half the damn property in Ballybofey. That is a family that makes me proud of being a Donegal Street lad. :)

P. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

i have to say the one thing donegal created for me has to be the accent.

A lovely melodic lilt, kept me in the county for 5 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Paddy20 wrote: »
    That is a family that makes me proud of being a Donegal Street lad. :)

The lassies on donegal Rd are not bad either, Paddy, as thats where the wife hails from..townies:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

My heart swells with pride every time I see one of these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

hillwalker jumpers from kennedys of ardara have a couple warm and indestructable (just dont wear them on the hills)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

football special

A fishy tale but what about the auld Donegal Catch.

I think I read somewhere that it is exported to about 20 odd countries but as the fish are probably netted off Finland or Iceland I dont know if you can class it as Donegal produce or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

mallons sausages, donegal cremeries milk, pats pizza (l'kenny)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I was gonna suggest Magee tailoring, though as their stuff isn't made here anymore...

Oatfield sweeties!

byte wrote: »
    I was gonna suggest Magee tailoring, though as their stuff isn't made here anymore...

Oatfield sweeties!
    Emeralds and winter easers. :) I forgot about them.

Winter easers :eek:

We know yours. It comes in a bottle :D

Or is that a keg

I thought Oatfield's dont make sweets anymore, the factory in Letterkenny only packages pre-made sweets now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Donegal Parian China
    Hanna Hats
    The Crolly Doll
    Sam Spudz

I thought Oatfield's dont make sweets anymore, the factory in Letterkenny only packages pre-made sweets now?
    They still make them alright. Though for how much longer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭icom

irish-stew wrote: »
    mallons sausages, donegal cremeries milk, pats pizza (l'kenny)

I thought Mallons sausages were manufactured in Co. Monaghan ?

Link: http://directory.foodbureau.com/items.php?id=315

A fishy tale but what about the auld Donegal Catch.

I think I read somewhere that it is exported to about 20 odd countries but as the fish are probably netted off Finland or Iceland I dont know if you can class it as Donegal produce or not.

It is a pity about 'Donegal Catch' a great brand name and product, but price has cut their market share, and as Donegal registered trawlers are supposed to do the catching then the name is worthy of recognition.

Unfortunately, the E.U. regulations have had a seriously detrimental effect on the Donegal fishing industry, pushing retail prices 'sky high' the current situation is a disaster.

I wish I could bring back the days when 'Harry McNultys at the bottom of Donegal St,Ballybofey, sold daily fresh ''Cod & Chips' for 2s/6p old money and the smell and taste was priceless and natural.

There is a place in Stranorlar that has a reputation for serving up 'really fresh' Cod & Chips, but at a price.:(

Can we stick to the topic here please.

If anyone wants to wander down through the realms of yesteryear then by all means start a new thread but things like fish & chips from Charlie McGees or Harry McNultys are a no no.

OK fair enough, I've edited my original post to stay on topic but the food products I referred to are both on sale today. They are both local products, same as Football Special and Oatfield Sweets, and the thread topic is "what is our best local product?". Suppose what Smashey might have meant was "what is our best local product for export out of Donegal?" Very good thread though. A product can do an awful lot for an area. Employment, tourism, it's profile and perception. Without a doubt Football Special is out there on it's own. I've spoken to Yanks in Greece and Brits in New York about the famous Ramelton brew! :)

shayser wrote: »
    Suppose what Smashey might have meant was "what is our best local product for export out of Donegal?
    That would have been the general idea and perhaps something that visitors or tourists to Donegal would have on their shopping list.

wat about dohertys sausages are they made in donegal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

icom wrote: »
    I thought Mallons sausages were manufactured in Co. Monaghan ?

Link: http://directory.foodbureau.com/items.php?id=315

sorry, your right, just donegal cremeries milk and pats pizza in l'kenny it is then

irish-stew wrote: »
    sorry, your right, just donegal cremeries milk and pats pizza in l'kenny it is then

theres gotta be more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭icom

regob wrote: »
    wat about dohertys sausages are they made in donegal

They used to be made in Letterkenny, but the sausage production moved to Derry a few years ago.

Link: http://www.nifda.co.uk/company_details.asp?memID=49

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Its great to see Donegal companies and products doing well around the country and the world even. Particularly so when we are slightly disadvantaged.

Driving round ireland you often see Bonner Engineering at work or MCGrane Lorries everywhere.

Music has to be one of our biggest recognised exports worldwide. We often forget the people who left Donegal in the past century and helped build English and American infrastructure.

I wonder if we are still preceived from a tourism point as we were years ago in terms of our friendly Irish Charm

Can we stick to the topic here please.

If anyone wants to wander down through the realms of yesteryear then by all means start a new thread but things like fish & chips from Charlie McGees or Harry McNultys are a no no.

Muffler,

What exactly do you mean :confused:, If I start a New Thread called 'Donegal Memories would a mention of Harry McNultys still be a no no, if so it would NOT be worth starting ?..

Muffler,

What exactly do you mean :confused:, If I start a New Thread called 'Donegal Memories would a mention of Harry McNultys still be a no no, if so it would NOT be worth starting ?..

Paddy you can read. You could have PMd that question.

Now for the last time stay on topic please

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Daniel O'Donnell

Daniel O'Donnell
    Go away.

Go away.

Hey Smashey,

Did I not say you were the best, and you have now won something, what was it ?..:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Comment no longer required.

Hey Smashey,

Did I not say you were the best, and you have now won something, what was it ?..:)

Paddy,

I think you're referring to the €1000 voucher I got from Argos. :D

A nice LCD TV and some change. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Daniel O'Donnell
    I was going to say wee daniel too but not now that smashey has some change....

tuppence wrote: »
    I was going to say wee daniel too but not now that smashey has some change....
    Yup, I have tuppence left. :D

Go away.

Daniels popularity summed up in two words, but you wouldn't be saying that if you were 80yr and had a blue rinse.;)

• Advertisement

Daniels popularity summed up in two words, but you wouldn't be saying that if you were 80yr and had a blue rinse.;)
    I'll be rocking with my zimmer frame.

What I meant in this thread was manufactured goods. Daniel is just a package. :D

http://www.edelmacbride.com

Makers of Irish knitwear and based in Convoy.

Late Late Show Designer Of The Year for Knitwear
    Satzenbrau Northern Ireland Designer Award - twice

Yup, I have tuppence left. :D
    If you had tuppence you would be rich indeed. ;)
    But more importantly whats this about daniels "package". Surely the goalposts are being changed of the thread here..... Daniels package is the best export that Donegal has. (especially in Britain) When alot of people think of Donegal its just what they think of! :eek:

tuppence wrote: »
    If you had tuppence you would be rich indeed. ;)
    But more importantly whats this about daniels "package". Surely the goalposts are being changed of the thread here..... Daniels package is the best export that Donegal has. (especially in Britain) When alot of people think of Donegal its just what they think of! :eek:
    I won't be able to sleep now. :eek:

I won't be able to sleep now. :eek:
    Go on. Just get the box of cds from under the bed. U'l soon be sleeping lke a baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Leonid

donegal cremeries, I find all other milks to be quite inferior
    bar ncf

Leonid wrote: »
    donegal cremeries, I find all other milks to be quite inferior
    bar ncf
    I had forgotten about them - good stuff alright.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Leonid

Welcome to the forum by the way.[/quote]

Much appreciated ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

Magee's. They still design the stuff and their expensive tweeds are still woven Donegal afaik.
    Sam Spudz Smoky Bacon.
    Oatfield Sweets (especially Emeralds and Orange Chocolates)

il gatto wrote: »
    Magee's. They still design the stuff and their expensive tweeds are still woven Donegal afaik.
    Sam Spudz Smoky Bacon.
    Oatfield Sweets (especially Emeralds and Orange Chocolates)

never heard of sam spudz smoky bacon

• Advertisement
Advertisement