Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star wars. The evil Empire is back

Options
  • 13-11-2007 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭

It is reported today that the Pentagon are seeking hundreds of billions of dollars in appropriation funds to finance the militarisation of space.

They want to develop weapons that would target their enemies orbital communications infrastructure as well as a new generation of ICBM that would launch from space via a re-usable rocket.

This news comes as a Congressional study finds that the U.S. has spent more than 1.5 trillion dollars on the Iraq and Afghanistan wars so far. That is equal to $20,000 per family in the U.S.

A massive redistribution of wealth through murder and destruction.
    http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=07/11/13/1423246

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

An empire in space?
    What could go wrong?;)

borg2.jpg

Seriously though,it might not be great to let America have complete planetary dominion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

bush_borg_intensea.gif

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Akrasia wrote: »
    It is reported today that the Pentagon are seeking hundreds of billions of dollars in appropriation funds to finance the militarisation of space.

They want to develop weapons that would target their enemies orbital communications infrastructure

Wouldn't that be a demilitarisation of space? i.e. blowing up things which are already up there? It wouldn't be as if the US would be the only people with the technology, NASA are right pissed at China blowing up that satellite a few months ago.
    as well as a new generation of ICBM that would launch from space via a re-usable rocket.

From the description on the Democracynow site (I'm not registered with WaPo) and after a little Googling, it seems like it's a terrestrial-based rocket which launches from the surface like today's ICBMs/SLBMs, leaves the warhead to go on its merry way, then returns to Earth for another load. Whilst I'm not entirely sure I understand the point of this (If you're lobbing nukes, a second load is probably kindof redundant) the concept certainly could have civilian utility, much as a lot of the current satellites are launched by old ICBMs taken out of military service and are only used once.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I think the Pentagon should have the money to militarize space .They should pass the collection tin around the globe so we can all chip in.We need protection from them aliens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    I think the Pentagon should have the money to militarize space .They should pass the collection tin around the globe so we can all chip in.We need protection from them aliens.
    I think it's the aliens that need protection from us! They're all probably crapping themselves after hearing this news.

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

Here's Chomsky on the militarisation of space and science if anyone's interested. Quite interesting.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3556931934798596578&q=chomsky+militarization+of+space&total=2&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

The Saint wrote: »
    Here's Chomsky on the militarisation of space and science if anyone's interested. Quite interesting.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3556931934798596578&q=chomsky+militarization+of+space&total=2&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0
    Nice one, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

Never going to happen we have nowhere near the technology required to actually set something like this up, it is impossible.

Star Wars never existed it was made up during the cold war to scare the Russians they knew then that it is impossible and its the same now.

Never going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

just re-read the thread

yes definitely possible I thought the OP was referring to the idea of having a space defence shield to shoot down incoming nuclear rockets.

Advertisement